Cheap, Lightweight Rechargeables for Footies

  • solingpoolshark
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      I have had a number of inquiries regarding the mini, lightweight battery packs I used at the NCR in Orlando.

      I assembled them from 160 mah, NiMH, 1/3-AAA cells I obtained here:

      http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=11725.21

      I attached battery leads from Servo City here:

      http://www.servocity.com/html/battery_leads.html

      And shrink-wrapped them with heat shrink tubing from Home Depot.

      Total cost to assemble a pack is less than $10.00

      When ordering the cells, make sure to get them with Solder Tabs. Soldering directly to such small cells will overheat and destroy them. Solder tabs makes it quick and easy to assemble packs.

      When assembled 4 cells to the pack (4.8 volts), they weigh only 19 grams (2/3 ounce) all-up, including leader and shrinkwrap.

      They will run a Footy in 'normal' conditions for over 30 minutes. Though I changed packs after every heat in orlando (due to the extreme conditions) so I never ran one all the way down, I know I got at least 20 minutes of racing in 30 knot winds out of at least one of my packs.

      Also, since the cells are NiMH, they will recharge up to 500 times without ever developing a 'memory' like NiCad packs will.