Re: [FootyUSA] Re: Shark

  • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
      Thanks for posting that link. That is not the page I was referring to, but it is much better than the single photo I saw elsewhere. Congratulations for developing what looks to be a very successful design, perhaps a milestone. Now, a couple more pictures, one from the bow, one from the stern...

    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
        Sorry, didn't mean to hurt feelings, just trying to make a joke about America's Cup-like espionage.

        ---- Bernie ceilley <4bernie@...> wrote:
        > Parker,
        >
        > Your sense of the Florida contingent not being interested in sharing is
        > mistaken
        > They are the most sharing group I've ever encountered, particularly
        > Butch Bragg
        > the designer of the Shark. If you want to know more about the Shark, you
        > can contact
        > him at bbragg1@.... Butch is a fine Footy builder and skipper and
        > a super guy.
        >
        > Bernie Ceilley
        > Footy #2308
        >
        > wmeparker@... wrote:
        > >

        > > There is a broadside-on picture I found of the Shark, I will try to
        > > find the link, although the picture is not very instructive. It would
        > > be good to have a more comprehensive set of hull pictures, but I sense
        > > the Florida contingent, for some reason, is not that interested in
        > > sharing...:-}

      • sailtwister
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
          Probably the biggest problem in finding pictures of Footy boats being sailed in Florida, is getting their designers and skippers to stop sailing them long enough for pictures to be taken! 8^)

          Bill

          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, <wmeparker@...> wrote:

          > Sorry, didn't mean to hurt feelings, just trying to make a joke about America's Cup-like espionage.

        • Lincoln Ross
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
            Just to be clear, I have no connection whatsoever with the Shark!

            wmeparker@... wrote:
            > Thanks for posting that link. That is not the page I was referring to, but it is much better than the single photo I saw elsewhere. Congratulations for developing what looks to be a very successful design, perhaps a milestone. Now, a couple more pictures, one from the bow, one from the stern...
            > ---- LR <lincolnr@...> wrote:
            >
            >> This is probably the picture:
            >> http://sites.google.com/a/sharksail.com/www/club-footy-news/shark
            >> snip
          • Walter
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
              Thank you for the good information. It is interesting to see all of the different approaches that people are taking.
            • Butch
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009
                Hello all:
                I wanted to take to some time to express my opinions about the Footy.
                I believe a hull design is not the answer to the ultimate Footy.
                What we have is a 12 or 13 inch boat with speed limitations due to
                the length of the hull. Lighter boats can carry less sail and reach
                max speed and a heavier boat can carry more sail and do the same.
                I believe the answers we search for in the ultimate Footy will come
                from combinations of rudder, blade, weight and placement of bulb, and rig. Balance is a key factor for handling and performance. Balance is
                achieved by matching the boats components for the best handling and
                speed combination. If you cannot manage the boat, you will not win
                races. I have been lucky in stumbling on a combination that works as
                demonstrated in the last 3 Florida Regattas. I am not boasting nor do
                I wish to produce and sell boats. I have been building boats for friends who like the fact that my boats win races.
                I am merely trying to share what I have learned. The boats I have been building and racing can be found at this site.

                http://sites.google.com/a/sharksail.com/www/club-footy-news/shark

                I have tried to post new images and explanations.
                I am not a technical boat designer. What I am a persistent
                trial and error person who enjoys building and racing boats in
                competition and have stumbled on something that works.
                At present I do not wish to build and sell boats.
                Some people think a boat needs the classic full sized boat looks.
                I don't care if it looks like a frog as long as it will win races.

                cheers
                hope to meet you at the pond
                Butch