Re: MicroYachts and Carbon Fiber

  • Keven Jackson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
      Brett,

      As the original " 'small' R/C yacht builder", I am sure that you and David could easily get together a new class of smaller ( than Footy ) yachts...

      Certainly it is the case that 6" long  radio controlled models are no longer an impossibility...

      I scanned a pattern for one of my 'folded depron' Footy designs - and shrank it to only 7" length - to produce a hull only 6" long when 'assembled'. :-B

      A bath would be plenty of room for it to sail in...
      A swimming pool would be an 'ocean' ! B-)

      For control...

      I have two 16" wingspan radio controlled electric-powered aeroplanes that each fly for over twenty minutes with three proportional functions - using only a single tiny li-po cell ( for radio and motor power ) and 2.4Ghz radio systems. :D

      Their weights are only 18g and 20g - ready to fly...

      Transfering the same technology to a tiny yacht should be "child's play"

      The only 'difficulty' is the choice of a servo that will adequately control the sail(s) - whilst operating on only 3.5v ( under load ). :-?
      Happily, the sail area will not be too great with such a small model - and a balanced rig can also be used.

      The 1g servos ( yes - 1/28th of an ounce ) - from the aeroplanes - are likely fine for the operation of a balanced rudder... though their 'open' construction is a little off-putting for use in a wet environment.

      'Finished' weights as light as only 18g are not necessary in a model yacht - so once again - I have been experimenting...

      This time - with lightweight servo alternatives and "single cells". :>

      The best of luck to you both, and...

      ...a happy and peaceful New Year to all.

      Keven. :)

    • david gonsalves
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2009
        Kevin i just put two pics in . You can judge the size difference
        between a 61/4 inch boat and a 7 inch boat. I'm ready. David In
        FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Keven Jackson" <Rcm0de11er@...> wrote:

        > Brett,
        >
        > As the original " 'small' R/C yacht builder", I am sure that you
        and
        > David could easily get together a new class of smaller ( than
        Footy )
        > yachts...
        >
        > Certainly it is the case that 6" long radio controlled models are
        no
        > longer an impossibility...
        >
        > I scanned a pattern for one of my 'folded depron' Footy designs -
        and
        > shrank it to only 7" length - to produce a hull only 6" long when
        > 'assembled'. [:-B]
        >
        > A bath would be plenty of room for it to sail in...
        > A swimming pool would be an 'ocean' ! [B-)]
        >
        > For control...
        >
        > I have two 16" wingspan radio controlled electric-powered
        aeroplanes
        > that each fly for over twenty minutes with three proportional
        functions
        > - using only a single tiny li-po cell ( for radio and motor
        power ) and
        > 2.4Ghz radio systems. [:D]
        >
        > Their weights are only 18g and 20g - ready to fly...
        >
        > Transfering the same technology to a tiny yacht should be "child's
        play"

        > The only 'difficulty' is the choice of a servo that will adequately
        > control the sail(s) - whilst operating on only 3.5v ( under
        load ).
        > [:-?]
        > Happily, the sail area will not be too great with such a small
        model -
        > and a balanced rig can also be used.
        >
        > The 1g servos ( yes - 1/28th of an ounce ) - from the aeroplanes -
        are
        > likely fine for the operation of a balanced rudder... though their
        > 'open' construction is a little off-putting for use in a wet
        > environment.
        >
        > 'Finished' weights as light as only 18g are not necessary in a
        model
        > yacht - so once again - I have been experimenting...
        >
        > This time - with lightweight servo alternatives and "single
        cells".
        > [:>]
        >
        > The best of luck to you both, and...
        >
        > ...a happy and peaceful New Year to all.
        >
        > Keven. [:)]

      • Keven Jackson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "david gonsalves" <davidgonsalves@...> wrote:

          > Kevin i just put two pics in . You can judge the size difference
          > between a 61/4 inch boat and a 7 inch boat. I'm ready.

          Ready for what ? :-?

          David,

          Can you post any photos that show a complete radio installation within one of yoursmall hulls - such as the 6¼"  and the 7" boats within the two pictures that you posted yesterday ?

          Keven. :)

        • david gonsalves
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi Kevin. As soon as i catch up on putting more footy's together
            for the NOR i will finsh the little boat and post some pics.DavidIn