Re: tim and peter willings

  • Tim Willings
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      Robert:-

      The 'photogenic' footy (LaJabless 1936) that you have seen on the footy
      website and elsewhere has a rig that is constructed from 3mm, 4mm and
      6mm carbon fiber tube - and the boom vang, boom straps and other
      'elegant' hardware that you see are actually parts from another model
      sail boat, the Graupner 'Micro-Magic'.

      I am not 'telling stories' when I say that I could not find a US
      distributor of the 'Micro-Magic' or other Graupner model sail boat parts
      parts - and the company that manufactures the 'Micro-Magic' kit
      (Graupner, based in Germany) - could not (because of distribution
      agreements) sell and ship me parts. I resorted to ordering parts over
      the internet (for four boats) from a hobby shop in France - and they
      were more than willing to ship them to me here in Florida!

      I am given to understand that Tower Hobbies has the distribution rights
      for Graupner - but do not import the 'Micro-Magic' kit or parts for this
      wonderful little boat. The 'Micro-Magic' is *not* a fooyy - it is and
      independently developed one design class that is very popular in Europe.
      I would add that if someone could get these 'Micro-Magic' kits into the
      US for the same price as they are available in Europe and the UK - then
      I think the 'Micro-Magic' as a model sail boat class would take off.

      If I can provide more info - please let me know.

      Best regards,

      Tim Willings

      -- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "robertcardinaux" <roberttip@...> wrote:

      > hi all,
      > Sorry not to have posted recently (always lurking via digest). If
      > they're members of this forum, I'd like to ask Tim and Peter Willings
      > to tell us a little bit about the very nice boom vang and other
      aspects
      > of their rigging set-up in the photos of their yellow lajabless (see
      > photos 12,13,14 in the footy web-site photo gallery). If anyone knows
      > how to contact them, please forward this request.
      > Regards
      > Robert

    • Bill Nielsen
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
        Tim & Robert,

        The MicroMagic is available in the USA in two versions. The earlier
        less expensive "standard" version uses an aluminum mast and slightly
        different keel & rudder assembly for about $189, and the higher tech
        "racing" version comes with carbon fiber spars and deluxe hardware for
        about $229. The kits are of excellent quality and either will build
        into a fine little boat. Both versions are imported by Hobby-Lobby,
        and the racing version plus some parts are imported by Sail-RC (they
        can special order parts, but it takes time). Both importers are
        located in Tennessee and can ship UPS. There is a lot of enthusiasm
        for this little boat spreading all over the world, and much can be
        found on the internet. In Europe and the UK, they sail these things in
        all kinds of weather, and you really need to see some of the videos to
        believe it. For more information on the boat and the recently formed
        US COA, check out: <http://www.usa.magicmicro.org/news.php> . Tim,
        whereabouts in Florida are you located? I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale
        area, and have a Footy, plus I just ordered a MicroMagic.

        Regards,
        Bill Nielsen
        Oakland Park, FL USA

        --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Willings" <willingst@...> wrote:

        > Robert:-
        >
        > The 'photogenic' footy (LaJabless 1936) that you have seen on the footy
        > website and elsewhere has a rig that is constructed from 3mm, 4mm and
        > 6mm carbon fiber tube - and the boom vang, boom straps and other
        > 'elegant' hardware that you see are actually parts from another model
        > sail boat, the Graupner 'Micro-Magic'.
        >
        > I am not 'telling stories' when I say that I could not find a US
        > distributor of the 'Micro-Magic' or other Graupner model sail boat parts
        > parts - and the company that manufactures the 'Micro-Magic' kit
        > (Graupner, based in Germany) - could not (because of distribution
        > agreements) sell and ship me parts. I resorted to ordering parts over
        > the internet (for four boats) from a hobby shop in France - and they
        > were more than willing to ship them to me here in Florida!
        >
        > I am given to understand that Tower Hobbies has the distribution rights
        > for Graupner - but do not import the 'Micro-Magic' kit or parts for this
        > wonderful little boat. The 'Micro-Magic' is *not* a fooyy - it is and
        > independently developed one design class that is very popular in Europe.
        > I would add that if someone could get these 'Micro-Magic' kits into the
        > US for the same price as they are available in Europe and the UK - then
        > I think the 'Micro-Magic' as a model sail boat class would take off.
        >
        > If I can provide more info - please let me know.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Tim Willings
        >
        > -- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "robertcardinaux" <roberttip@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hi all,
        > > Sorry not to have posted recently (always lurking via digest). If
        > > they're members of this forum, I'd like to ask Tim and Peter Willings
        > > to tell us a little bit about the very nice boom vang and other
        > aspects
        > > of their rigging set-up in the photos of their yellow lajabless (see
        > > photos 12,13,14 in the footy web-site photo gallery). If anyone knows
        > > how to contact them, please forward this request.
        > > Regards
        > > Robert

      • nacra1499
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
          Thanks Bill for clarifying...

          The Footy and the MM are very different and have their own very
          unique and positive attractions. There is plenty of room for both as
          the appeal to different segments of the hobby (those who like to
          design/build and experiment and those that are more into one design).

          One more clarification: Tower Hobbies does NOT have any distribution
          rights for Graupner. As Bill mentioned, Hobby-Lobby and Sail RC are
          the distributors.

          Now, back to the Footy stuff... sorry to interrupt!

          Andy
          MMCOA Class Secretary

          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nielsen" <wrangler@...> wrote:

> [...]
          off.

          > > If I can provide more info - please let me know.
          > >
          > > Best regards,
          > >
          > > Tim Willings
          > >
          > > -- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "robertcardinaux" <roberttip@>
          wrote:

          > > > hi all,
          > > > Sorry not to have posted recently (always lurking via digest).
          If
          > > > they're members of this forum, I'd like to ask Tim and Peter
          Willings
          > > > to tell us a little bit about the very nice boom vang and other
          > > aspects
          > > > of their rigging set-up in the photos of their yellow lajabless
          (see
          > > > photos 12,13,14 in the footy web-site photo gallery). If anyone
          knows
          > > > how to contact them, please forward this request.

        • arcdesignerathotmail
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
            having sailed my little micro magic for 6 or more years, have to say
            they are a great design, well sorted and well executed!!

            i used the mm as inspiration for my 507 footy design, have just
            under 150 around the world now and its so much fun!!

            like the mm i decided to have removable fins for the 507, for those
            not wanting to sail 507 as one design, simply remove the fins and
            replace them with locally optimised fins,and these are appearing
            more so now!

            still the modern materials and looks are nice , but you really cant
            beat the classic look of grahams american built wooden kittiwake can
            you!

            A true wooden boat they varnish up a treat and sail pretty well too,
            after all a good wood mast can be as good as carbon and give a such
            a different look!

            so buy a micro magic yes, sail two 507s for the same price or 3 or
            more kittiwakes, but in the end you'll love the footy!

            oh and theres nigels footys in canada, a footy by victor products,
            the handmade american muscle footys and the bug design by roger
            stollery from the uk!

            so many options for footy sailing!

            Ac

            (Micro magic AUS-01)

            (507s are in usa, australia, france, italy, switzerland, dubai,
            norway, portugul, spain, finland, singapore, indonesia, canada, ,
            newzealand,england, wales, ireland, scotland, germany, and more...
            go footys! just over a year, just under 150 507s!)