An Introduction...

  • William Nielsen
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      Hello,

      My name is Bill, and I live in Florida. I discovered this group (and the Footy Class) on
      Monday the 28th, and have been glued to the computer since then, visiting all the sights
      and scanning all the archives, trying to pick up as much knowledge about the class as
      possible. I was involved in R/C sailing from the early 1970's up until about 1980, when I
      seemed to have too little time to spend at the pond. My first boat was a Soling 50/800
      from Vortex (I bought the first kit ordered by the local hobbyshop). From there I got a
      Vortex Santa Barbara, then a couple of 50/800 Marbleheads and a Yardstick 36/600 which
      were designed by my Dad. The bigger boats were too difficult to transport when I gave up
      driving my old Ford pickup in the late seventies and switched to a VW Beetle. Too bad the
      Footy wasn't around then, it would have fit just fine in the VW. By Monday evening, I had
      become enthused enough about the Footy's to want to see and hold something in three
      dimensions, so I fought with the computer that night and into Tuesday morning trying to
      print some of the free plans available on the web, and by late Tuesday afternoon, I had
      turned some 20 year old Balsa pieces into a somewhat less than perfect represention of
      Bill H's "Cobra". Once I got it into the third dimension, I found it's shape to be quite
      pleasing. I seem to recall scanning an earlier message about a six chined "Cobra II", but
      I'm not sure if that wasn't a typo.

      My biggest question now is: Is anyone else in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL (or Miami) area sailing
      Footy's and if so, WHERE & WHEN? I would really love to see some of these things in action!
      I tried the computer map thingy, but couldn't seem to get it working beyond it's
      automated startup - maybe a Mac thing?

      Regards,
      Bill Nielsen
      Oakland Park, FL
    • Bill Hagerup
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2008
        Welcome Bill.....

        When you were first sailing R/C I was watching guys like you having
        fun at the pond in front of Baptist Hospital in Miami. But there was
        no way I could afford the hobby back then...I should have thought up
        Footys!

        The most active Footy group in Fl is the Daytona gang...it would be
        worth the trip for you to go up and talk with them. They are a very
        nice group that will give you lots of info.

        There is a plan for Cobra out there on the Footy website in addition
        to the one you got for Razor. It's a bit more work to build, but
        it's a better racer, too.

        Coaxing balsa into boat shapes is a lot easier if you pre-bend the
        panels. I spray 409 on them, then tape them to the side of a big pot
        overnight. That gives them a rounded shape that makes taping the
        panels together a lot easier, and avoids splitting.

        Bill H

        --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "William Nielsen" <wrangler@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My name is Bill, and I live in Florida. I discovered this group
        (and the Footy Class) on
        > Monday the 28th, and have been glued to the computer since then,
        visiting all the sights
        > and scanning all the archives, trying to pick up as much knowledge
        about the class as
        > possible. I was involved in R/C sailing from the early 1970's up
        until about 1980, when I
        > seemed to have too little time to spend at the pond. My first boat
        was a Soling 50/800
        > from Vortex (I bought the first kit ordered by the local
        hobbyshop). From there I got a
        > Vortex Santa Barbara, then a couple of 50/800 Marbleheads and a
        Yardstick 36/600 which
        > were designed by my Dad. The bigger boats were too difficult to
        transport when I gave up
        > driving my old Ford pickup in the late seventies and switched to a
        VW Beetle. Too bad the
        > Footy wasn't around then, it would have fit just fine in the VW. By
        Monday evening, I had
        > become enthused enough about the Footy's to want to see and hold
        something in three
        > dimensions, so I fought with the computer that night and into
        Tuesday morning trying to
        > print some of the free plans available on the web, and by late
        Tuesday afternoon, I had
        > turned some 20 year old Balsa pieces into a somewhat less than
        perfect represention of
        > Bill H's "Cobra". Once I got it into the third dimension, I found
        it's shape to be quite
        > pleasing. I seem to recall scanning an earlier message about a six
        chined "Cobra II", but
        > I'm not sure if that wasn't a typo.
        >
        > My biggest question now is: Is anyone else in the Ft. Lauderdale,
        FL (or Miami) area sailing
        > Footy's and if so, WHERE & WHEN? I would really love to see some of
        these things in action!
        > I tried the computer map thingy, but couldn't seem to get it
        working beyond it's
        > automated startup - maybe a Mac thing?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bill Nielsen
        > Oakland Park, FL

      • William Nielsen
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          Thanks for the welcome! Actually, I probably WAS one of the guys you
          saw down at Baptist Hospital in the 70's, since I was living in Miami
          at that time, and other than a few times in the salt water pond near
          the entrance to Matheson Hammock Beaches, I sailed almost exclusively
          at the Baptist Hospital Lake - SMALL WORLD! We had a very good group
          of active model sailors there at the time, from all walks of life, and
          I really enjoyed it.

          Actually, I downloaded all the plans I could find, but the one I liked
          best, and built a trial hull of, was the Cobra. It has what I would
          call a beveled chine, though some call it "four chined". Is there
          really a Cobra II with a double bevel at the chines (six chines)? I
          seem to recall that you posted the plans for "Cobra" to the web
          earlier this year (and I wondered when I first saw the name, if it had
          any relation to the car). After scanning the message archive, Isee
          that it does, and now I wonder if you drive the boat to the pond in
          the Cobra. By the way, THANKS for making the plans available!

          About half way through the hull assembly, I remember thinking that
          building a hull this way, suspended in midair, wrapped in blue tape,
          and with my fingers super glued to the bow, was "no way to build
          anything, let alone an R/C Sailboat". Then when I cracked one of the
          sides across it's grain at the point where I was trying to insert a
          bulkhead in an attempt to get the hull shape to the proper width, I
          almost crushed the whole mess in frustration. I resisted the urge, but
          of course the cracked side did nothing to improve the fairness of the
          shape, even though I had super glued it back together. Still, even
          with a bad kink in one side, I could see it had potential, and was
          "cute as hell". For all of the panels, I used some 1/16" thick balsa
          wood I had been saving in the garage (maybe from the 1980's), along
          with 3/32" Basswood for the transom and stem panels. I never thought
          of steaming or pre-curving the panels (after all, it was only 1/16"
          balsa). I was pretty sure there was no way I could use 1/32" balsa
          without crumbling it during assembly. The next day, after I had
          resolved myself to the fact that this model was never going to be
          "just right", I printed up another set of side panels & trimmed a bit
          off each end to allow for the thickness of the stem and transom, and
          popped them into place from the inside (after removing the 2 bulkheads
          that started the problem). Once deciding it was feasible, I smeared a
          very thin thin layer of Gorilla Glue on both mating surfaces, and with
          a bunch of plastic spring clamps from Harbor Freight, clamped both
          side panel inserts into the hull at the same time & re-inserted the
          bulkheads (trimmed to allow for the added thickness of the new side
          liners). I then put the whole assembly diagonally into a QuikGrip
          clamp, in an attempt to pull it back into shape, without a twist,
          knowing that once the glue cured, I would be "stuck" with whatever the
          shape was. The hardest part of this whole process, was setting the
          assembly aside, and not messing with it for 4 hours, waiting for the
          glue to set. Once the time had past, and the clamps were removed, I
          had only to do a little sanding of the sheer to remove a slight bit of
          foamed up glue, add the carved block to the bow, and sand the kink out
          of the side, to have a reasonable 3D form of a Footy. Although the
          shape is still not perfect, and doesn't quite match the deck template,
          I think for my first Footy attempt, it's close enough. So far, the
          empty hull weighs in at 40 grams, including the two solid 1/16"
          Basswood bulkheads, most of which will be relieved with a Dremel tool
          to give clearance for the R/C gear. By themselves, the 2 bulkheads
          weigh 9 grams, so once most of them is removed, I expect the hull
          weight to drop to about 35 grams. With the laminated sides, the hull
          is very rigid and twist resistant. I'll post a couple of pictures in a
          folder called "SoFla Footy's"

          Bill, if you've managed to read through this far, let me say that I
          was very impressed with how accurate your set of templates were, and
          how well the parts actually fit together. The biggest problem I have
          with the assembly method is holding everything together while the glue
          (even super glue) sets. I can see that pre-bending the panels would be
          a big help, and help eliminate some of the stresses that caused my
          side to crack in the first place, so, in spite of my earlier thoughts
          during initial assembly, I may actually try this method again, soon!

          Thanks again for making your design available. Is there any way to get
          the lines drawings with stations to print bolder and larger like the
          templates did? When I tried to print the 3D view (page #1), and the
          lines (page #2), they came out too weak to see very well (almost as
          when you try to copy a light color with a B&W copier), much too weak
          to try to enlarge on a copier. I would like to be able to use the
          lines to make a fixture to make assembly of the next hull easier and
          more accurate.

          Regards,
          Bill Nielsen
          Oakland Park, FL

          --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hagerup" <billhagerup@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > something in three
          > > dimensions, so I fought with the computer that night and into
          > Tuesday morning trying to
          > > print some of the free plans available on the web, and by late
          > Tuesday afternoon, I had
          > > turned some 20 year old Balsa pieces into a somewhat less than
          > perfect represention of
          > > Bill H's "Cobra". Once I got it into the third dimension, I found
          > it's shape to be quite
          > > pleasing. I seem to recall scanning an earlier message about a six
          > chined "Cobra II", but
          > > I'm not sure if that wasn't a typo.
          > >
          > > My biggest question now is: Is anyone else in the Ft. Lauderdale,
          > FL (or Miami) area sailing
          > > Footy's and if so, WHERE & WHEN? I would really love to see some of
          > these things in action!
          > > I tried the computer map thingy, but couldn't seem to get it

        • Charlie Mann
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2008
            Are  you  still  sailing  marbleheads there  ?
            I  sailed  there  many  years  ago  in  club  77
            Charlie
> [...]

            > something in three
            > > dimensions, so I fought with the computer that night and into
            > Tuesday morning trying to
            > > print some of the free plans available on the web, and by late
            > Tuesday afternoon, I had
            > > turned some 20 year old Balsa pieces into a somewhat less than
            > perfect represention of
            > > Bill H's "Cobra". Once I got it into the third dimension, I found
            > it's shape to be quite
            > > pleasing. I seem to recall scanning an earlier message about a six
            > chined "Cobra II", but
            > > I'm not sure if that wasn't a typo.
            > >
            > > My biggest question now is: Is anyone else in the Ft. Lauderdale,
            > FL (or Miami) area sailing
            > > Footy's and if so, WHERE & WHEN? I would really love to see some of
            > these things in action!
            > > I tried the computer map thingy, but couldn't seem to get it

          • William Nielsen
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2008
              Hi Charlie,

              No, I have been active in R/C Sailing since about 1980. That's when my
              Mom & Dad retired and moved to Ocala, FL. In the beginning, I started
              with a Soling, and got my Dad interested in it, too. At the time, he
              was very active in R/C aircraft, so he already was familiar with the
              equipment. He's a retired powerboat designer, so naturally, he
              designed his own model boats. He built a very nice double ended
              Sharpie type out of Fomecore as an experiment, and also designed a
              couple of Marbleheads, and a 36/600 called the "Yardstick", of which
              several dozen were made and sailing in Florida (I think they were also
              produced in kit form by John Reynolds in Orlando). Also, since one of
              his favorite full sized sailboats was a Star, he made plugs & molds
              for a 60" fiberglass Star model. This was in '78 or '79, just before
              he & mom moved to Ocala. I think only three hulls & keels were made
              from the molds (he never made a deck plug) before he moved. I still
              have the first 60" Star, one went to Chip Bullen, a local R/C sailor,
              and I'm not sure who got boat #3.

              It's a big boat, and quite difficult to transport without a pickup
              truck or van. It just barely fits into the back seat of my Odyssey
              mini van. I was used to carrying my Marbleheads & 36/600's fully
              rigged in my Ford pickup which had a topper, but when it started
              getting old, and gas prices jumped in the late 70's I went back to
              driving a VW beetle, and then I just didn't have the room to carry
              model sailboats, especially fully rigged ones.

              I don't remember what the Club's number was, only the names of some of
              the guys, many of whom have since passed on, guys like Arnie Rubin,
              Charlie Laylor, Frank Sharp, and Dick Finley, George Morris, all of
              whom were pretty active sailors. I suspect you may have come around at
              about the same time I stopped being active.

              Too bad there was no Footy class then!

              Regards,
              Bill Nielsen
              Oakland Park, FL

              --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Mann" <c.e.mann@...> wrote:

              > Are you still sailing marbleheads there ?
              > I sailed there many years ago in club 77
              > Charlie
            • William Nielsen
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2008
                Sorry Charlie!

                That first sentence should have read: "No, I HAVEN'T been active in
                R/C Sailing since about 1980.

                Sorry 'bout that!

                Bill Nielsen
                Oakland Park, FL

                --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "William Nielsen" <wrangler@...> wrote:

                > Hi Charlie,
                >
                > No, I have been active in R/C Sailing since about 1980. That's when my
                > Mom & Dad retired and moved to Ocala, FL. In the beginning, I started
                > with a Soling, and got my Dad interested in it, too. At the time, he
                > was very active in R/C aircraft, so he already was familiar with the
                > equipment. He's a retired powerboat designer, so naturally, he
                > designed his own model boats. He built a very nice double ended
                > Sharpie type out of Fomecore as an experiment, and also designed a
                > couple of Marbleheads, and a 36/600 called the "Yardstick", of which
                > several dozen were made and sailing in Florida (I think they were also
                > produced in kit form by John Reynolds in Orlando). Also, since one of
                > his favorite full sized sailboats was a Star, he made plugs & molds
                > for a 60" fiberglass Star model. This was in '78 or '79, just before
                > he & mom moved to Ocala. I think only three hulls & keels were made
                > from the molds (he never made a deck plug) before he moved. I still
                > have the first 60" Star, one went to Chip Bullen, a local R/C sailor,
                > and I'm not sure who got boat #3.
                >
                > It's a big boat, and quite difficult to transport without a pickup
                > truck or van. It just barely fits into the back seat of my Odyssey
                > mini van. I was used to carrying my Marbleheads & 36/600's fully
                > rigged in my Ford pickup which had a topper, but when it started
                > getting old, and gas prices jumped in the late 70's I went back to
                > driving a VW beetle, and then I just didn't have the room to carry
                > model sailboats, especially fully rigged ones.
                >
                > I don't remember what the Club's number was, only the names of some of
                > the guys, many of whom have since passed on, guys like Arnie Rubin,
                > Charlie Laylor, Frank Sharp, and Dick Finley, George Morris, all of
                > whom were pretty active sailors. I suspect you may have come around at
                > about the same time I stopped being active.
                >
                > Too bad there was no Footy class then!
                >
                > Regards,
                > Bill Nielsen
                > Oakland Park, FL
                >

                > --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Mann" <c.e.mann@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Are you still sailing marbleheads there ?
                > > I sailed there many years ago in club 77
                > > Charlie

              • Charlie Mann
                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2008
                  I  sailed  a  lot  with  Dick  Finlay  &  Sliva  as  RD.
                  it  started  in  1984  &  have  a  lot  of  good
                  memorys,  including  the long  walk  to  relief  station,
                  &  one  marblehead  race  went  for3/4  of  a  hour
                  on  a wet  &  rainy  day,  but  still  had  fun.
                  Charlie
                  No, I have been active in R/C Sailing since about 1980. That's when my
                  Mom & Dad retired and moved to Ocala, FL. In the beginning, I started
                  with a Soling, and got my Dad interested in it, too. At the time, he
                  was very active in R/C aircraft, so he already was familiar with the
                  equipment. He's a retired powerboat designer, so naturally, he
                  designed his own model boats. He built a very nice double ended
                  Sharpie type out of Fomecore as an experiment, and also designed a
                  couple of Marbleheads, and a 36/600 called the "Yardstick", of which
                  several dozen were made and sailing in Florida (I think they were also
                  produced in kit form by John Reynolds in Orlando). Also, since one of
                  his favorite full sized sailboats was a Star, he made plugs & molds
                  for a 60" fiberglass Star model. This was in '78 or '79, just before
                  he & mom moved to Ocala. I think only three hulls & keels were made
                  from the molds (he never made a deck plug) before he moved. I still
                  have the first 60" Star, one went to Chip Bullen, a local R/C sailor,
                  and I'm not sure who got boat #3.

                  It's a big boat, and quite difficult to transport without a pickup
                  truck or van. It just barely fits into the back seat of my Odyssey
                  mini van. I was used to carrying my Marbleheads & 36/600's fully
                  rigged in my Ford pickup which had a topper, but when it started
                  getting old, and gas prices jumped in the late 70's I went back to
                  driving a VW beetle, and then I just didn't have the room to carry
                  model sailboats, especially fully rigged ones.

                  I don't remember what the Club's number was, only the names of some of
                  the guys, many of whom have since passed on, guys like Arnie Rubin,
                  Charlie Laylor, Frank Sharp, and Dick Finley, George Morris, all of
                  whom were pretty active sailors. I suspect you may have come around at
                  about the same time I stopped being active.

                  Too bad there was no Footy class then!

                  Regards,
                  Bill Nielsen
                  Oakland Park, FL

                  --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroup s.com, "Charlie Mann" <c.e.mann@.. .> wrote:

                  > Are you still sailing marbleheads there ?
                  > I sailed there many years ago in club 77
                  > Charlie

                • William Nielsen
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                    Hi Charlie,

                    Dick Finlay was a true enthusiast and a good competitor. I remember he
                    lived in Miami Lakes, and along with a couple of other fellows there,
                    sailed Santa Barbaras in his backyard, in addition to trekking 15 or
                    20 miles on Sunday (his only day off) to sail with the group at
                    Baptist Hospital Pond. I believe club 77 was the result of his
                    re-energizing the group after the first group failed to have the
                    required number of official Regattas. I wonder if there's anyone still
                    active in the group now? The AMYA still lists Club 77, so maybe...

                    Are you still in the Miami area? I moved North to the Ft. Lauderdale
                    area almost 10 years ago, and swear to myself every time I have to
                    fight the traffic when I go back down there, that I'll never do it
                    again (I always do, though)! There's just too many people with too
                    many cars.

                    Regards,
                    Bill Nielsen
                    Oakland Park, FL

                    --- In FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Mann" <c.e.mann@...> wrote:

                    > I sailed a lot with Dick Finlay & Sliva as RD.
                    > it started in 1984 & have a lot of good
                    > memorys, including the long walk to relief station,
                    > & one marblehead race went for3/4 of a hour
                    > on a wet & rainy day, but still had fun.
                    > Charlie
                  • Charlie Mann
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 2008
                      Bill  I  lived  in  Fort  pierce &raced   with  Dick every  chance
                      I could.  My  wife  had  several  strokes &  that  made  us
                      move  back  to  Canada,  However  we   still  go  back  for
                      short  visits,
                      Now  sailing  Victorias  &  Solings  & footys,
                      I  do miss  the  sailing  every  day.
                      I  hope  the  miama  club  does  well  &  continue  to  grow
                      Charlie  Mann