New poll for FootyUSA

  • FootyUSA@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 4, 2007
      FootyUSA group:

      Vote to delete the FOOTY EXCHANGE GROUP.
      Many of you are also members of this Yahoo group.
      Since there is really no active trading or selling going on,
      is there really a use for it?

      o Keep the group alive
      o Delete the group

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • GEmmert@aol.com
      Message 53 of 53 , Aug 10, 2009
        Greetings:  Lets take another look at MY Issue  #152, Summer 2008.  This issue featured the Footys.  Look at pages 8 and 9...showing the clear plastic "BOX."  Notice the way the boats were placed therein...Angled and both without a lead bulb.  Duh!  Then, look at Hagerup's Cobra in the Box on page 25.  His Cobra is placed in the diagonal and you can see that if the rudder is mounted (Shaft) inside the boat - not hung on the outside of the transom, then there is room for the rudder to move so you can control the boat very well.  So, what are we to learn from these examples?  I guess there is still some validity to state that :  "If it fits in the box (in sailing trim) then it's legal."  However, on Page 9, upper photo, this boat is NOT ready to sail - NEITHER is the other one on page 8....Yep, I said it...Ready to Sail or Ready to Race.  Um!  "New Definition terminology  >> If it fits in the box Ready to Race, then it's legal<<...Duh!   Of course, ready to race would mean sufficient rudder throw (Movement) and sails moving unrestricted.   I was asked about a shorter fin with bulb and how can that be measured.  I suggested that you place various blocks of shims inside the box to bring the deck (any part of the boats deck with the boat level) up to meet with the boxes upper edge.  Then let the sail rig(s) move freely.  This may apply to any fin/bulb that is shorter than maximum length and, also lift the rudder to fit in the slot (if that is the case)...Also, that is how you would measure the  so-called "B" rig or the 12 incher...Yikes...Actually, measuring 12 inches from the edge of the box up to the top of the storm sail's mast  is not really feasible...you need 12 inches of of luff and then some added clearance from the deck  so as to let the rig swing unimpeded.  Any thoughts about what I have stated, above.  Let me have it...set me straight.
        But, regardless, get Model Yachting issue #152...back order if necessary.  A ton of great information on about perhaps 20 or more different models available, and McCormack Rigs....many interesting approaches and ideas...Regards, GeorgeE, Vero Beach

        In a message dated 8/10/2009 6:57:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, boebert@... writes:

        I believe it's a straight copy from the UK 36 inch restricted rule, which I suspect was Roger's inspiration for the box.

        Cheers,

        Earl