Notes from last meeting

  • Whitney Rearick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi there -

      Kevin vey kindly took notes at our last meeting.  They're posted below.  When you get a chance, please review them.  Email corrections or bring them to our next meeting May 6.  Thanks!

      Food Sustainability: Policy Working Group
      April 15, 2009

      Attending: Whitney R. (C), Tracy P., Lee R., Deanna S., Ron M., Claudia D., Kevin B. (S), Bob B., Martin V., Evelyn G. (VC), Fawn P., Anne H., Goldy

      1) Introductions

      2) Barriers- members listed their tasks of research that they are pursuing for documentation. These items will be utilized to specify gaps and barriers in the current government agency codes that need to be addressed in order to facilitate a healthy and successful local food market system.
      One member (local farmer Lee Rice) cited a particular set of codes that prohibits his ability to exercise a viable local direct marketing effort. He located a potential solution that is being utilized in Contra Costa, CA that may serve as a model for the Treasure Valley’s relevant agencies’ ordinances. There is a proposal being crafted by SCI that may serve as a solution to the cited barrier. It has been worked up to propose “as-is,” but may require more time to strengthen for a more successful result. Group will consider options and recommend best strategy.
      Defining the term “foodshed” may be key to convincing the ordinance writers to better understanding what the proper boundaries are when considering local farm/marketing operations.
      Members are pointing out the complexities and overlaps in state/local laws that frustrate the inception and sustainability of a healthy local food market system.
      It was proposed that we prepare a media campaign to the negative impact on this season’s local food markets, due to prohibitions carried out by codes hampering farmer’s efforts to market their produce. This issue will be discussed further at the next meeting.

      3) Boise Comprehensive Plan (Blueprint Boise)
      Member Deanna Smith said she would serve as a depository for ideas and comments that will improve/criticize the plan. This will consume many weeks in order to properly collect all potential input for a more comprehensive commentary by members.

      4) Confirmed next meeting for May 6, 2009 at the Mennonite Church unless venue changed. TBD