How well does FRED really fold and tow?

  • Dan Morehouse
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi!

      I've spent the last hour looking over the FRED. I'm currently finishing up my plans built Sonex, which will leave my workshop barren. So I'm looking for a second project and thought a low and slow plans built plane would work best. I also would need to tow it back and forth to the strip each flight, so a plane with a folding or removable wing is required.

      It sounds like Eric Clutton designed the FRED from the get go to be towed behind a car. I'll only need to travel a few miles and wouldn't have to go over 35 mph. Fisher airplanes have a foldable wing, but it is too wide for towing. There are a few people who remove the wings and tow the plane on a trailer. This process takes 45 minutes or so.

      I'd like to get some feedback on how easy and often the FRED is towed, what is involved in making these trips, how long it takes, etc.

      Also, as I understand it, the center section of the wing is used for a 10 gallon fuel tank according to the update. Is there room for an expansion of this?

      I'd consider a VW for the powerplant. How have you guys dealt with the engine mount? I'm hoping I won't have to learn welding.

      Cheers,
      Dan

      PS: Can you recommend any other plans built plans (wood, composite or aluminum) that might be trailerable and powered by a VW or similar? I've seen pics of KR2 with removable wings that gets towed to the airport.
    • tessa thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2011

         Really does fold in 15 mins with just one person and I've towed mine at 60+ mph with no problems.  Very stable.  Best to make up a rack for placing the tailplane components on to make it even quicker.  That'll be my next job after changing my gear leg springs (once the cold weather ceases!).

        To: FlyingRunaboutExperimentalDesign@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
          I used to watch Eric towing the original FRED back in the sixties and can say that it towed very well indeed - his towcar at that time was a motorbike!
          Ian
        • Dan Morehouse
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
            Nice to hear it's as advertised.