Fluosilicic Accident leaves 1 dead

  • fluorideus
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15

      One dead after multiple transport collision, chemical spill on Highway 401

      The leaked hazardous material, fluorosilicic acid,

      The hospital reports that it treated 29 patients in total as a result of the accident, 13 of whom were emergency services first responders who underwent decontamination and were held for observation as a precaution

      http://www.kingstonregion.com/news-story/7189833-one-dead-after-multiple-transport-collision-chemical-spill-on-highway-401/

    • Alice Terpstra
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15
        Every death; every injury; every resulting long term disability due to chronic fluorosis that develops after acute exposures like this; and every health care dollar spent on decontamination, treatment and followup of victims, is the result of a single monstrously callous political decision. The fact that it happened, and the emotional and physical consequences for the people harmed, are all on Ontario's Health Minister, Dr. Eric Hoskins, who could have acted on science and ethics to end the policy of water fluoridation years ago. He needs to act NOW so that not one more damn truckload of this hellish industrial waste is ever driven down another Ontario highway on its way to another municipal water treatment plant to be pointlessly added to safe, clean drinking water, ever again.
        Aliss Terpstra
      • ron072754
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15
          YES
        • Doug Cragoe
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15
            Do we know where that load of FSA was going? Is anybody sure it was going to be used for water fluoridation? This chemical is also used for other purposes.
          • Alice Terpstra
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16
              Yes Doug it has been confirmed that the truck WAS en route, during very hazardous black ice whiteout blizzard conditions to Ontario municipalities east of Kingston that fluoridate. But heaven forbid the delivery wait a few days for March to subside here leaving the population without their dose of dirty scrubber waste fluoride from the tap, eh? It could have been Smiths Falls, Ottawa, Brockville and in between because most of the towns and cities along the Ontario 400 series freeway system between Michigan and Quebec are fluoridated with HFSA. Brantford, the place it began, is unusual because they still use sodium fluoride (unless they recently switched to the Chinese silicofluoride product or liquid HFSA. Not sure as I’m out of the loop these days.) Most of our HFSA comes by rail tanker from Fluorida and Louisiana, to a few depots in south-central Ontario. Lucier, Brenntag, Mosaic etc. From there, they are pumped into tankers or carboys for delivery by truck. On a highway system that is one of the most heavily truck-travelled and dangerously weather-affected in the entire world. Terrific choice for shipping a totally unnecessary extremely hazardous chemical, right? This truck was carrying carboys. Many of the carboys burst. Media pics clearly show them strewn everywhere. The Greater Toronto Area tends to use tanker trucks not carboys, as their municipal water treatment plants have huge liquid HFSA storage facilities on site and it’s cheaper and safer to pump a tanker load a few times a year. The smaller towns use carboys.
              We do use industrial source fluorides in Ontario for processing uranium into fuel for our heavy water nuclear reactors, but not HFSA. I wager that HFSA used for industry and manufacturing here is not shipped in bulk carboys in a huge truck like the fluoridation chemical is.
              Aliss