Re: Flexagon with the Christmas Story - sighting

  • toppingleslie
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2009
      Kathy

      This looks like a version of the double hinged truncated digon flexagon in 'Flexagons Inside Out', p. 88.

      Les Pook

      --- In Flexagon_Lovers@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Knapp <ksknapp@...> wrote:

      > http://www.memorycross.com/Christmas_Craft.aspx
      > This link shows a Memory Cross in action.  This Christmas, the children at the church I attend, were given a large flexagon / Memory Cross, for them to color, that teaches the Christmas story.
      >
      > Even blank ones can be purchased.
      >
      > I just wanted to share this web site in case you haven't seen flexagons in the commercial world being used.
      >

      > Kathy Knapp,
      > Peoria, Illinois, USA
      >
      > Do well your part today.-  Juliette Gordon Low

    • Ed Hutchins
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 31, 2009
        Structural Graphics has patented this rotating flexagon that has been around a lot longer than they have. How is it possible that they have been able to patent a structure that is not their own intellectual property? Does this mean that other people can not use, teach, or produce this structure without permission from Structural Graphics, including those who used it before they patented it?

        Ed Hutchins

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2010
          Hello Kathy.
          You connect Christmas memories with the Memory Cross. I think of an advertisment of the French cosmetics company L'Oréal and its product Jade.
          I describe how to make this simple flexagon on my page http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/magiccard.htm.
          New Year's greetings

          Jürgen Köller

          Kathy Knapp schrieb:

          http://www.memorycr oss.com/Christma s_Craft.aspx
          This link shows a Memory Cross in action.  This Christmas, the children at the church I attend, were given a large flexagon / Memory Cross, for them to color, that teaches the Christmas story.

          Even blank ones can be purchased.

          I just wanted to share this web site in case you haven't seen flexagons in the commercial world being used.

          Kathy Knapp,
          Peoria, Illinois, USA

          Do well your part today.-  Juliette Gordon Low

        • Kathy Knapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2010
            Juergen,

            I found a simpler way to construct this flexagon.

            http://www.victorineoriginals.com/images/samples/instructions/neverendingcard.html

            I think it ends up the same as yours, but the whole paper clip steps can be eliminated.

            I used the above instructions to teach it last week at our local meeting,  I was going to use yours, until I stumbled across the above link while searching for the Puzzle Purse, which I also taught.

            Kathy

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 25, 2010
              Les, I am not sure how I over looked your e-mail, but I am getting to it, and I am sending along a link to this type of flexagon that I taught at our local meeting last week.

              http://www.victorineoriginals.com/images/samples/instructions/neverendingcard.html

              I have your Flexagons Inside Out, but sadly, most of it is way beyond me, and looking at your reference, the above link is different.

              Kathy

              Kathy Knapp,
              Peoria, Illinois, USA

              Do well your part today.-  Juliette Gordon Low

              This looks like a version of the double hinged truncated digon flexagon in 'Flexagons Inside Out', p. 88.

              Les Pook

              --- In Flexagon_Lovers@ yahoogroups. com, Kathy Knapp <ksknapp@... > wrote:

              > http://www.memorycr oss.com/Christma s_Craft.aspx
              > This link shows a Memory Cross in action.  This Christmas, the children at the church I attend, were given a large flexagon / Memory Cross, for them to color, that teaches the Christmas story.
              >
              > Even blank ones can be purchased.
              >
              > I just wanted to share this web site in case you haven't seen flexagons in the commercial world being used.
              >

              > Kathy Knapp,
              > Peoria, Illinois, USA
              >
              > Do well your part today.-  Juliette Gordon Low

            • Les Pook
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2010
                Kathy

                I’ve made up a never ending card from your instructions, and can now see that  is a member of the family of flexagons, first described by Engel, who calls them ‘hybrid flexagons’ I think ‘Hooke’s joint flexagons’ is more apposite. I use this term in ‘Serious Fun with Flexagons’, and describe one on pp. 321-323. The flexagon is also described on my website www.pook.org.uk at http://lespook.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/hooke.pdf

                Two more are described, under different names, on pp. 88-89 of ‘Flexagons Inside Out’.

                The characteristic feature of a Hooke’s joint flexagon is that adjacent leaves are hinged to either face of an ‘intermediate leaf’’ The hinges are at right angles so the intermediate leaf is a Hooke’s joint. The never ending card is a shape changing flexagon because the hinges are not symmetrically placed on an intermediate leaf.

                The simplest Hooke’s joint flexagons have four leaves connected by four Hooke’s joints. A wide range of forms is possible, as illustrated by the four mentioned above, all of which have four leaves.

                Les Pook

              • Kathy Knapp
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 2010
                  I will just have to save up my pennies to purchase Serious fun with flexagons.  I am intrigued and hopefully can keep learning.  Nice to know that the reason the Neverending card works is because of a Hooke's joint.  I will be able to share that term with my students this summer.  I will also make a note of the Neverending card example in Flexagons Inside Out.  The Neverending card is a way to grap young minds, along with several other simple flexagons, that perhaps one or two of them will look further into the whys and the math.  The Tetratetraflexagon by Robin Moseley and the Trihexaflexagon have been well received (with permission) by my students at the College for Kids program at the local Jr. College.

                  There is a similiar fold in Stick Note Origami by David Mitchell, page 89-92.  He calls it a Flexatron.  My nephew, when a Math student at the U of Illinois, was utterly fascinated by it.