AW: [Flewelling] Re: LITS/GIDS

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
      >uhm, where are mistakes with 'you' maybe I really overead that 'til
      >now or so..? Hm, I'll read on and tell you if I found something, k? ^^

      sometimes, when Alec is talking with Micum or Nysander he says "Ihr"
      instead of "du"...and that sounds a bit strange wouldn't you say, eh?

      noerml

      PS: for our English speaking folks out there. "ihr" and "du" both
      are translated with you. But "ihr" is either plural or a very
      formal "you" only used when speakin with persons of high rank
      and such.
    • mirrorcharlotte
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
        *LOL* I think you changed something... Alec says 'ihr' to Micum in
        the beginning, when he don't really knows him, and later the
        translater changed it to 'du'. I think that's fitting or would you
        say 'du' to every body you don't really know? well I would not....

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
          >*LOL* I think you changed something... Alec says 'ihr' to Micum in
          >the beginning, when he don't really knows him, and later the
          >translater changed it to 'du'. I think that's fitting or would you
          >say 'du' to every body you don't really know? well I would not....

          in fact i do ;)...but that has to do with both my nature and my
          bavarian dialect. And hm...you know...i personally never took Micum
          as a serious person more like a friend and that...and especially after
          the week at Watermead i'd say an "ihr" is totally well..uh...unadjusted?
          But that's what the translator sometimes did *shrug*...uh well..go
          figure it yourself. There aren't too many chats with Micum anyway,
          so um...well whatever... was just one example. All in all i'd say
          the translation is more or less acceptable, given the fact that
          a translation can never be perfect....we often talked about it
          already blablabla....actually i was just sort disasociating myself
          from what you said about the quaterstaff and that ...ah forget
          it. *G* i'm a lost case i know *grin*

          noerml
        • Andrea Chavez
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
            So, it's like the tu and usted in Spanish.

            tu is familiar usted is more formal, but if the
            person is nice and one says "tu" by mistake, they just
            smile and thank you for the kindness....at least they
            do in Puerto Vallarta!

            Andrea

            --- noerml <noerml@...> wrote:
            > >*LOL* I think you changed something... Alec says
            > 'ihr' to Micum in
            > >the beginning, when he don't really knows him, and
            > later the
            > >translater changed it to 'du'. I think that's
            > fitting or would you
            > >say 'du' to every body you don't really know? well
            > I would not....

            =====
            Andrea C

            "I always pass on good advice,
            It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
              >So, it's like the tu and usted in Spanish.
              >tu is familiar usted is more formal, but if the
              >person is nice and one says "tu" by mistake, they just
              >smile and thank you for the kindness....at least they
              >do in Puerto Vallarta!

              um...eh..no! *grin* "ihr" as a formal "you" isn't used
              these days at all. It's horrible old-fashioned, that's
              probably the reason why they use it in Fantasy books.
              The modern equivalent would be "Sie", but if you accidently
              address someone you never seen before( and is an adult)
              with the familiar "du" it's more or less taken as an insult
              in most parts of Germany. Not here in my area though. You
              mark yourself as a stranger if you are using anything related
              with formal stuff ^_^

              noerml
            • ro_laren@gmx.de
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2002
                > *LOL* I think you changed something... Alec says 'ihr' to Micum in
                > the beginning, when he don't really knows him, and later the
                > translater changed it to 'du'. I think that's fitting or would you
                > say 'du' to every body you don't really know? well I would not....

                For the first two books the translation is rather ok. But the one of
                "Traitor Moon" is really bad. For example both Alec and Seregil says "ihr" to Klia
                (even when they are private). And this is really strange because in the first
                two books, their behavior towards the princess was on a friendship level and
                not like tributary to royality.

                So I am back to my mailbox after some weeks to find thausends (ok a few
                hundrets) of postings in this forum. sight.... ;-)))))
                I really enyoied Alecs diary. Thanks mere it was so funny.

                Btw has anyone of you already read "blood of mystery" from mark anthony? The
                book I ordered seemed to got lost on the atlantic. With my luck it wont be
                delivered until I go to finland for three months. But I want to read the book
                now.

                Laren

                http://www.gmx.net
              • mirrorcharlotte
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                  > um...eh..no! *grin* "ihr" as a formal "you" isn't used
                  > these days at all. It's horrible old-fashioned, that's
                  > probably the reason why they use it in Fantasy books.
                  > The modern equivalent would be "Sie", but if you accidently
                  > address someone you never seen before( and is an adult)
                  > with the familiar "du" it's more or less taken as an insult
                  > in most parts of Germany. Not here in my area though. You
                  > mark yourself as a stranger if you are using anything related
                  > with formal stuff ^_^
                  >
                  > noerml

                  *grin*
                  oohh yes...
                  @_@
                  strange german... why do I live here?? ^^;;;
                • mirrorcharlotte
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                    ah yes.. the only thing that i a BIIIIG mistake, and what I dun
                    understand is ...
                    why the hell is ours called "Das Licht in den schatten" (the light in
                    the shadows) >.< What has 'light' to do with luck? You learn this
                    words in the first year of english in grade five!! >___<###

                    *lol*
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                      >ah yes.. the only thing that i a BIIIIG mistake, and what I dun
                      >understand is ...
                      >why the hell is ours called "Das Licht in den schatten" (the light in
                      >the shadows) >.< What has 'light' to do with luck? You learn this
                      >words in the first year of english in grade five!! >___<###

                      Maybe the author grew fond of Alec's blond hairs *chuckle*

                      noerml
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                        >Maybe the author grew fond of Alec's blond hairs *chuckle*

                        eh translator that was supposed to mean ;-)

                        noerml
                      • Andrea Chavez
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                          --
                          > um...eh..no! *grin* "ihr" as a formal "you" isn't
                          > used
                          > these days at all. It's horrible old-fashioned,
                          > that's
                          > probably the reason why they use it in Fantasy
                          > books.

                          umm, so that would be like using Thy, thee and thou
                          in an english book?? Not words we use today, but
                          words to emphasize a style???

                          Isn't language interesting?

                          Andrea --

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2002
                            >umm, so that would be like using Thy, thee and thou
                            >in an english book?? Not words we use today, but
                            >words to emphasize a style???

                            yep pretty much like that.

                            >Isn't language interesting?

                            for sure *grin*....

                            noerml
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 6, 2002
                              >For the first two books the translation is rather ok. But the one of
                              >"Traitor Moon" is really bad. For example both Alec and Seregil says
                              "ihr" to Klia
                              >(even when they are private). And this is really strange because in the
                              first
                              >two books, their behavior towards the princess was on a friendship
                              level and
                              >not like tributary to royality.

                              Re-reading TM I must say hm....actually that formal "ihr" (you) is more
                              or less
                              translated correctly. At least i got that impression in the English
                              version.
                              I mean, they may be friends, nevertheless a gap lies between them
                              created by politics
                              and Klia's royal blood. After all she does not tell them everything.

                              What do you say 'bout that Lynn?

                              noerml