Medea

  • caitlyn washam
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      So I'm not sleeping yet, oh well.

      Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the possibility of Medea being a great
      woman. I would tend to disagree with that. She was incredibly brave and
      outspoken for her time period, yes, but I don't think she was great. She
      killed her children. She killed a basically innocent woman. I can totally
      understand her jealousy and anger about Jason, but I can't call her actions
      great. Again, all the stuff with the golden fleece and her intellegence, I'm
      not disputing that she was very smart and cunning. I just think that she
      could have put those attributes to different use. I'm not saying she should
      have just sat by and let Jason walk all over her with another woman, nor
      that she should have meekly accepted her exile. I just don't think killing
      her children was necessary.

      Now, argue with me about why I'm wrong. *G* This could be interesting...

      Smiles,

      Cait

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        >I just don't think killing her children was necessary.

        I am not a mother, not at all and if i was i don't know about
        it yet ;-). Maybe i will develope some sort of pseudopregnancy
        around my 50th birthday, but i'm afraid the child i bear is of
        beer *grin*. Anyway i would say that it takes a lot of courage
        and a very desperate woman to kill her own children and of course
        a good reason. Killing one's own flesh you can only do if you don't
        see a good future for them, if you think death would be better
        for them than life. Of course nobody should judge about other peoples
        life's...
        But doesn't it proof her "greatness" in a way. That she was able
        to make own decisions in a world totally dominated by men and their
        will? A world where the sole purpose of women was to tend the house
        and bear children.

        noerml

        PS: Anyone read "Beloved" by Toni Morrison? (wonderful book btw!!!)
        that book is dealing with that issue...among others o.c.
      • leafmirror2
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          --- In Flewelling@y..., "caitlyn washam" <midnightmelodys@h...> wrote:
          > So I'm not sleeping yet, oh well.
          >
          > Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the possibility of Medea being a great
          > woman. I would tend to disagree with that. She was incredibly brave and
          > outspoken for her time period, yes, but I don't think she was great.

          I just tossed her in there as a woman of power, along with Livia. I
          don't consider them heros. But they did claim their power and take
          action at a time when women *really* weren't supposed to.
        • caitlyn washam
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
            > >I just don't think killing her children was necessary.
            >
            >I am not a mother, not at all and if i was i don't know about
            >it yet ;-). Maybe i will develope some sort of pseudopregnancy
            >around my 50th birthday, but i'm afraid the child i bear is of
            >beer *grin*. Anyway i would say that it takes a lot of courage
            >and a very desperate woman to kill her own children and of course
            >a good reason. Killing one's own flesh you can only do if you don't
            >see a good future for them, if you think death would be better
            >for them than life. Of course nobody should judge about other peoples
            >life's...

            Medea didn't kill her children to save them from the harshness she thought
            their lives would become if she let them live. There really was not maternal
            instinct in her killing them at all, she wasn't trying to protect them. She
            was doing it to hurt Jason. That just seems petty and immature to me. And
            you're right, no one should ever take another person's life. It's not their
            choice to make.

            >But doesn't it proof her "greatness" in a way. That she was able
            >to make own decisions in a world totally dominated by men and their
            >will? A world where the sole purpose of women was to tend the house
            >and bear children.

            I agree that by her making such drastic decisions in a world dominated by
            men she proved that women could make those decisions, but in doing so she
            alienated herself from everything she said she loved. She killed her
            children, seperated herself from her husband, and killed innocent people as
            well...not that she ever really seemed to have a problem killing
            people...her own brother died trying to take her back home...but anyway, I
            don't see any particualr "greatness" in her actions. She didn't take those
            actions to prove that women could be cunning and intellegent. She did what
            she did in the Golden Fleece for Jason (who was using her), and then she did
            what she did in Medea out of jealousy and rage and pettiness. Like I said
            before, she didn't have to accept what he was doing, but she could have just
            taken her children and made him suffer that way, knowing they were still
            alive and that he would never see them again (not to mention the fact that
            she probably would have told them all the injustices Jason had forced upon
            her, so they would most likely have hated him, too) would have been a...I'll
            not say "good," but a just punishment for his infidelity.

            Cait

          • caitlyn washam
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
              >--- In Flewelling@y..., "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@...>
              >--- In Flewelling@y..., "caitlyn washam" <midnightmelodys@h...> wrote:
              > > So I'm not sleeping yet, oh well.
              > >
              > > Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the possibility of Medea being a
              >great
              > > woman. I would tend to disagree with that. She was incredibly brave and
              > > outspoken for her time period, yes, but I don't think she was great.
              >

              >I just tossed her in there as a woman of power, along with Livia. I
              >don't consider them heros. But they did claim their power and take
              >action at a time when women *really* weren't supposed to.

              Agreed. *g*

              Cait

            • whetner
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2002
                Oooh Medea! That was the first play that I ever read... my teacher
                couldn't start us 14 and 15 year olds with something easy like
                Shakespeare; we jumped right to matricide.

                And, of course, I had to be the contrary one. I think I was the only
                person in my class who argued that Medea was justified because Jason
                made her insane. ;)

                --- In Flewelling@y..., "caitlyn washam" <midnightmelodys@h...> wrote:
                > Like I said before, she didn't have to accept what he was doing,
                > but she could have just taken her children and made him suffer that
                > way, knowing they were still alive and that he would never see them
                > again (not to mention the fact that she probably would have told
                > them all the injustices Jason had forced upon her, so they would
                > most likely have hated him, too) would have been a...I'll not
                > say "good," but a just punishment for his infidelity.

                Actually, from what I remember (or maybe just what I thought), Medea
                couldn't take the children away. Jason was taking them away from her
                (he was going to be a king once he married this new woman, and she
                was just a princess who proabably wouldn't be able to go back to her
                father's land).

                -Sherene

                P.S. Was Aphra Behn in your list of women Lynn? I'm too lazy to go
                back and check the messages.
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2002
                  and the rest ;-)

                  Am i the only one here who's getting mails a bit
                  late? Just got a reply to mail i wrote 3 days ago.
                  ...is this going to be fixed soon?

                  noerml
                  Any1 knows the adress of the yahoo server building?
                  *Evillaughter*
                • Rie Sheridan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2002
                    yahoogroups was messing about for a couple of days. There
                    are messages coming in from all my groups days late.

                    Rie
                    --- noerml <noerml@...> wrote:
                    > and the rest ;-)
                    >
                    > Am i the only one here who's getting mails a bit
                    > late? Just got a reply to mail i wrote 3 days ago.
                    > ...is this going to be fixed soon?
                    >
                    > noerml
                    > Any1 knows the adress of the yahoo server building?
                    > *Evillaughter*

                    =====
                    You've seen Lord of the Rings, and you want more elves--
                    Check out Elfen Gold by Sheri McGathy
                    http://www.newconceptspublishing.com/elfengold.htm
                    or The Blood that Binds by Rie Sheridan
                    http://novelbooksinc.com/authors/rie_sheridan/blood_that_binds.html

                    http://mail.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 3/7/02 1:22:29 AM GMT Standard Time, noerml@...
                      writes:

                      > and the rest ;-)
                      >
                      > Am i the only one here who's getting mails a bit
                      > late? Just got a reply to mail i wrote 3 days ago.
                      > ...is this going to be fixed soon?
                      >
                      > noerml

                      It's ok Noerml.... Just Yahoo was off-line for maintenance for a day and
                      queued up the list emails during that time, they're going to keep appearing
                      at odd times and out of order as they usually do after Yahoo's been at it
                      again <g>. I knew something was odd when I logged on and got only three bits
                      of junk mail instead of my normal 100+ one morning <g> so I went and checked
                      and just got the Yahoo Plumber instead of the groups page. I should have
                      warned you all, sorry,