OT: film disallusionment

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
      Well I almost gave in and watched A Beautiful Mind, despite my previous
      aversion to soppy films based on mental illness, like I said I'm all too
      aware of the realities. Then I picked up my morning paper which had an
      article in it called A Beautiful Lie, which was basically saying that someone
      in Hollywood has a problem with the truth, otherwise they'd have depicted
      John Nash as he really was and not their vision of what middle America would
      have liked him to be. Truth was he was a divorcé by the time of his illness,
      no adoring wife nursing him, he had an illegitimate child, and he was
      bisexual. All of which got airbrushed out of the film.

    • Ricarda (Ylinestra)
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
        I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm certainly going to and looking forward
        to it. I absolutely adore Russel Crowe and even watched "The Quick and the
        Dead" because of him. From all I heard, the film is rather good and
        personally, if it is good as a film, I'm content with that. But of course,
        it is always disappointing if they leave of unpleasant truthes (?) in
        bio-pics. The film could become even more interesting if they hadn't.

        >From: HBrown9628@...
        >To: flewelling@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Flewelling] OT: film disallusionment
        >Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:14:34 EST
        >
        >Well I almost gave in and watched A Beautiful Mind, despite my previous
        >aversion to soppy films based on mental illness, like I said I'm all too
        >aware of the realities. Then I picked up my morning paper which had an
        >article in it called A Beautiful Lie, which was basically saying that
        >someone
        >in Hollywood has a problem with the truth, otherwise they'd have depicted
        >John Nash as he really was and not their vision of what middle America
        >would
        >have liked him to be. Truth was he was a divorc� by the time of his
        >illness,
        >no adoring wife nursing him, he had an illegitimate child, and he was
        >bisexual. All of which got airbrushed out of the film.
        >
        >Helen

      • Rie Sheridan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
          I love The Quick and the Dead....but then, I adore Sam
          Raimi, and his quirky directorial style (he's STILL my
          favorite director, though Peter Jackson is probably second
          now, lol)....

          Rie
          --- "Ricarda (Ylinestra)" <ricarda_19@...> wrote:
          > I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm certainly going to
          > and looking forward
          > to it. I absolutely adore Russel Crowe and even watched
          > "The Quick and the
          > Dead" because of him. From all I heard, the film is
          > rather good and
          > personally, if it is good as a film, I'm content with
          > that. But of course,
          > it is always disappointing if they leave of unpleasant
          > truthes (?) in
          > bio-pics. The film could become even more interesting if
          > they hadn't.
          >

          > >From: HBrown9628@...
          > >To: flewelling@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [Flewelling] OT: film disallusionment
          > >Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:14:34 EST
          > >
          > >Well I almost gave in and watched A Beautiful Mind,
          > despite my previous
          > >aversion to soppy films based on mental illness, like I
          > said I'm all too
          > >aware of the realities. Then I picked up my morning
          > paper which had an
          > >article in it called A Beautiful Lie, which was
          > basically saying that
          > >someone
          > >in Hollywood has a problem with the truth, otherwise
          > they'd have depicted
          > >John Nash as he really was and not their vision of what
          > middle America
          > >would
          > >have liked him to be. Truth was he was a divorc� by the
          > time of his
          > >illness,
          > >no adoring wife nursing him, he had an illegitimate
          > child, and he was
          > >bisexual. All of which got airbrushed out of the film.
          > >
          > >Helen

          > http://mobile.msn.com

          > The Flewelling List Chat Room - :
          > http://prv-groups.aol.com/flewellingchats/ (You will need
          > an invitation to be able to use this private chat room,
          > please email HBrown9628@...)
          >
          > Lynn's official web-site -
          > www.sff.net/people/Lynn.Flewelling

          > URL to this page:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          You've seen Lord of the Rings, and you want more elves--
          Check out Elfen Gold by Sheri McGathy
          http://www.newconceptspublishing.com/elfengold.htm
          or The Blood that Binds by Rie Sheridan
          http://novelbooksinc.com/authors/rie_sheridan/blood_that_binds.html

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Ricarda (Ylinestra)
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
            I hated Sharon Stone, but it was good to see a Western with a female hero.
            And the film was extremely funny. I love the scene in the brothel, when
            Russell Crowe is at Sharon Stone's grace. And the scene, when Gene Hackman
            is shot, of course. But I couldn't take the film seriously.
            Ylinestra

            >I love The Quick and the Dead....but then, I adore Sam
            >Raimi, and his quirky directorial style (he's STILL my
            >favorite director, though Peter Jackson is probably second
            >now, lol)....
            >
            >Rie

          • Rie Sheridan
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
              One should never take a Same Raimi film seriously...after
              all, this is the man who brought you The Army of
              Darkness....

              =====
              You've seen Lord of the Rings, and you want more elves--
              Check out Elfen Gold by Sheri McGathy
              http://www.newconceptspublishing.com/elfengold.htm
              or The Blood that Binds by Rie Sheridan
              http://novelbooksinc.com/authors/rie_sheridan/blood_that_binds.html

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Kirsten R.Schaulin
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2002
                Just for your information, "The Bone Doll's Twin" is currently being
                discussed on the George R.R. Martin yahoo group. Martin recommended it, so
                the group's reading it for a March discussion. If you don't belong, here's
                the link:

                The response has been very positive so far. Even if you don't want to join
                the group, their archives are public, so you can read along on the
                yahoogroups website.

                -Kirsten

                Kirsten Schaulin
                schaulkr@...