Happy New Year!

  • richens@tig.com.au
    Message 1 of 66 , Dec 31, 2001
      Having spent the afternoon catching up on the week's digests
      (we're a prolific lot!) I'll do my semi-annual de-lurking to wish you all
      a happy new year from Sydney, where we can only dream of snow -
      it's 35 degrees celsius (95-ish F) and the city is surrounded by
      bushfires!

      Lynn, thank you for the Christmas present - it made my day! I'm in
      the middle of re-reading the NR series for the umteenth time, so it
      was *most* welcome.

      My family and I went to see LotR a few days ago (it only came out
      on Boxing Day here), and I mostly really enjoyed it.

      I had some trouble superimposing my idea of what folks looked like
      over some of the characters. I thought Gandalf *looked* exactly
      right but was a little soft for my tastes. I didn't get the feeling of
      "Beware of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger" that I
      was expecting. Same with Frodo - he spent the movie looking a
      little like a deer caught in headlights. I know he is laboring under
      the burden of being the ringbearer, but I thought Elijah made him
      look kind of moony <ducks for cover from hobbit-loving Rie>. ;)

      I liked the Shire and Rivendell but agreed with the person (sorry -
      can't remember who) who said Lorien was too dark - it's a place of
      sunlight to me. Moria was pretty cool, though.

      My main problem was being too familiar with the book, so I noticed
      everything they left out. I didn't mind Arwen standing in for
      Glorfindel at the fords, but I minded little things like leaving out that
      Frodo planned to move *before* the black riders came, and the
      elves not coming across Frodo and Sam in the Shire, and it
      bugged the hell out of me that Saruman got credit for making the
      mountain pass force them back when it was the malice of the
      mountain itself. Other than that... :)

      The coolest thing about the movie was that my husband, who isn't
      a reader, now knows what I'm talking about when I talk about LofR!
      <g>

      A long post, but I promise to go back to lurking for another few
      months.

      Betsy
    • Faith Degnan
      Message 66 of 66 , Jan 3, 2011
        HAPPY NEW YEARS FROM MAINE!!!!! <3 <3 <3