Re: [Flewelling] Comments on various posts

  • Alexandra Y. Kwan
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hello,

      At 04:16 PM 11/1/2001, you wrote:
      >should visit Chapel Hill. Jesse Helms said that the Chapel Hill/Carrboro
      >district was a disease that had begun to infect North Carolina adversely,

      I thought he's retiring? Or is that some other Helms?

      little Alex

    • Rie Sheridan
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
        --- Caitlyn Washam <caitlynwasham@...> wrote:
        I'm in the process of reading _Transformation_ by Carol
        Berg, solely based upon the list's recs. (It had better
        be good, ya'll, otherwise I will be most displeased!) <g>

        I doubt you'll be disappointed. I am eagerly awaiting the
        chance to start Revelation, which is next on my list--as
        soon as I finish Harry Potter and the Sorcerer/Philospher's
        Stone

        Rie

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • ailei
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
          > I doubt you'll be disappointed. I am eagerly awaiting the
          > chance to start Revelation, which is next on my list--as
          > soon as I finish Harry Potter and the Sorcerer/Philospher's
          > Stone

          Yay! Does the Harry Potter happy dance :) Sorry, I adore those books. If
          they'd been around when I was little...sigh. But then, I had Susan Cooper
          and CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien, but none of them have inspired me to be a
          *fan* like HP does. My ex got me all the British hardcovers for my bday last
          year, and those are the ones I'm reading my daughter. We just finished
          Philosopher's Stone, and it's so incredibly cool to see her watching the
          movie trailers and going 'OH!! that's the part when...' And the look on her
          face (she's six) when we finished our first 'real book' was absolutely
          priceless. I think I've got her hooked for life <g>.

          Of course, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban tie for my faves, but
          that's cos I have a *thing* for Sirius Black.

          Ailei
          in a gushing sort of mood, apparently
        • Caitlyn Washam
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
            he is retiring...i think i said something about that in the post

            cait

            "Every new beginning comes from
            some other beginning's end."
            -Semisonic

            >From: "Alexandra Y. Kwan" <litalex@...>
            >To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Flewelling] Comments on various posts
            >Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 18:45:29 -0800
            >
            >Hello,
            >
            >At 04:16 PM 11/1/2001, you wrote:
            > >should visit Chapel Hill. Jesse Helms said that the Chapel Hill/Carrboro
            > >district was a disease that had begun to infect North Carolina adversely,
            >
            >I thought he's retiring? Or is that some other Helms?
            >
            >little Alex

          • Caitlyn Washam
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
              I'm about to go to the bookstore and get _Revelation_. I almost can't wait,
              but I think I'll be okay, because I've still got a little over 100 pages to
              read in _Transformation_.

              Smiles,

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
                I'm just re-reading them for the third time and I'm still absolutely
                fascinated. I began (about two weeks ago) with the Sorcerer's Stone,
                because I wanted to have read it again before the movie is released
                here on November 22th (Germany). Well, I couldn't stop after the
                Sorcerer's Stone and now and right and deep into Prisoner of Azkaban!

                I can well remember when my father recommended those books to me
                (early summer last year) and I didn't really want to read them at the
                beginning just because of the big uproar everyone was making about
                Harry Potter. But I've never regretted it, I just LOVE them and the
                third time won't be the last time I've read them!

                Kirsten

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                  Well, I finished Sorcerer's Stone last night, and enjoyed
                  it a great deal. It was a nice, light read. The characters
                  are well-drawn and the plot simple yet surprising. But, can
                  someone help me understand--this is very important--what
                  makes this nice, light little series of entertaining
                  children's books a world-wide phenomenon? I am not trying
                  to put down the books--just understand so I can try to
                  infuse some of whatever it is into my own writing. :)

                  Rie

                • Loireag
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                    --- Rie Sheridan <riewrites1@...> wrote:
                    > Well, I finished Sorcerer's Stone last night, and enjoyed
                    > it a great deal. It was a nice, light read. The characters
                    > are well-drawn and the plot simple yet surprising. But, can
                    > someone help me understand--this is very important--what
                    > makes this nice, light little series of entertaining
                    > children's books a world-wide phenomenon? I am not trying
                    > to put down the books--just understand so I can try to
                    > infuse some of whatever it is into my own writing. :)
                    >
                    > Rie

                    Ha HA! You've just asked the multi-million dollar question, my friend!
                    I'm taking a Children's Lit class at the moment, and I can tell you
                    we've had a few discussions about why Harry Potter took off the way it
                    did -- and many agree it's not because the books are great works of
                    literature. Some people just say it's the tireless marketing of the
                    books -- and that may well be true. Others say it's the books ability
                    to not make too many waves and succeed in being all things to all
                    people -- i.e. everyone can identify with the book in some way, so
                    everyone likes it. The morals are admirable (except to those who've
                    banned it for witchcraft, but whatever...), the danger is frightening
                    but overcomable, and it's *funny*. Never underestimate the power of
                    humor, especially for kids.

                    I can go root around on our message boards to see what others have
                    said...
                    Here are some statistics from my professor, Betsy Hearne, quite a cool
                    and impressive lady in the Children's Lit field:
                    "Per Scholastic Publishers' figures, as reported in the New York Times
                    during the fall of 2000:
                    --750 copies of the first Harry Potter book were printed in Britain in
                    July 1997
                    --3.8 million copies of the 4th book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of
                    Fire, were printed for its U.S. release in July 2000
                    --23.4 million hardcover and 16.5 million paperback harry Potter books
                    are currently in print in the U.S.

                    "An average print run for a new children's novel from a mainstream
                    publisher is 7,000-10,000 copies (poetry is 3,000-5,000); for a proven
                    author, 10,000-20,000 copies; for mass market series books,
                    50,000-100,000 copies. I have a stack of clippings on Harry Potter,
                    which has been reviewed and discussed in unheard of places for a
                    children's book: the *adult* section of the New York Times Book Review;
                    The New Republic; The New York Review of Books; etc. etc. Entire panels
                    at MLA conferences are being devoted to criticism of Harry. This is
                    truly a publishing phenomenon with many facets: grassroots contagion,
                    media hype, socio-political reflections, electronic communication
                    factors, and other elements I'll refer to from time to time. There has
                    never been anything like it in the history of children's literature, in
                    terms of sales, though there have been fantasies just as good or
                    better."
                    cheers,
                    Robin B.

                    =====
                    Defenceless under the night / Our world in stupor lies;/
                    Yet, dotted everywhere, / Ironic points of light /
                    Flash out wherever the Just / Exchange their messages: /
                    May I, composed like them / Of Eros and of dust, /
                    Beleaguered by the same / Negation and despair, /
                    Show an affirming flame. -- W. H. Auden
                    Visit my manor -- http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/loireag

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • Megara
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                      That is a darn good question ::laughs:: Well, the reason *I* like the
                      books is that they are actually much more than they seem. Read Goblet of
                      Fire; you might change your opinion about them being a "nice, light series
                      of children's books"....JK Rowling said she wrote them for herself, not
                      with a specific audience in mind, so theoretically anything could happen
                      in the next three books ^^ The fifth one is supposed to be darker (yay!)
                      but it will be shorter than GoF (darn..)

                      But anyway...Another thing that struck me about the books is the
                      originality of the world she's created. I mean, at first glance, it seems
                      like any children's book fantasy universe - you've got broomsticks,
                      cauldrons, black cats, all that clich�d stuff. Dumbledore's description,
                      for example, has gotta be THE biggest clich� in the book ^^; Long nose,
                      glasses, robe with stars and moons on it? Come on ^^; But it's the little
                      details that are so cool. Owl Post, the wizard candy (I love the Chocolate
                      Frogs, lol), the moving pictures, Quiddich.....Nobody has created this
                      "modern wizard" culture where the wizards have actually kept pace
                      technology-wise with the Muggles....At least in all the children's books
                      I've read that have this same "wizards still exist in the modern world"
                      type theme, the wizards are still, you know, like, stuck in the Middle
                      Ages.

                      Well, this is turning into a huge rant...but seriously Rie, read Goblet of
                      Fire ^^ Even if it means you have to skip Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner
                      of Azkaban to get to it...do it...it's really, really good.

                      Megara

                      --- Rie Sheridan <riewrites1@...> wrote:
                      > Well, I finished Sorcerer's Stone last night, and enjoyed
                      > it a great deal. It was a nice, light read. The characters
                      > are well-drawn and the plot simple yet surprising. But, can
                      > someone help me understand--this is very important--what
                      > makes this nice, light little series of entertaining
                      > children's books a world-wide phenomenon? I am not trying
                      > to put down the books--just understand so I can try to
                      > infuse some of whatever it is into my own writing. :)
                      >
                      > Rie

                      =====
                      Sub Persona // Under the Mask.. http://subpersona.cjb.net
                      blog~! http://livejournal.com/~pumpsnail (updated whenever LJ isn't being a dork)
                      **
                      "A fish is just like a big, stupid, swimming vegetable."

                      I am the random genius ^^;

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • Rie Sheridan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                        I'll get there...but I think that part of the charm will be
                        the following of Harry's journey as he grows up at
                        Hogwarts, so I don't think I'll skip there. I do have
                        Chamber of Secrets on hand from my nephew--who is
                        generously sharing his own, was Harry for Halloween, and
                        greeted me at the door with "Where are you in the book?"
                        (He's 8)--so I guess that I may put Revelation on hold yet
                        a bit longer...*G*

                        so much to read, so little time--
                        Thanks to everyone for the insights. They have been most
                        interesting.

                        Rie

                        Find a job, post your resume.
                        http://careers.yahoo.com
                      • KirstenKoehne@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
                          That's really a good question. But for me it definitely wasn't
                          because "some people just say it's the tireless marketing of the
                          books -- and that may well be true" (Megara). Exactly THAT had been
                          the fact that had kept ME away from Harry Potter at first. Only after
                          my father and my sister so highly recommended these books to me, I
                          thought I had to give them a try. I never regretted it, too! For me
                          it's this absolutely believable world that J.K. Rowling created.
                          Well, it could really take place (IMHO) and I LOVE these little
                          details like moving pictures, funny sweets (Bertie Bott's every
                          flavour beans), Ron's wand going awry (Ron vomitting slugs all over
                          the place). I still can't help laughing reading my most favourite
                          scenes. So to me it IS a phenomenon and when was someone truly able
                          to explain what a phenomenon is?

                          Kirsten