mostly on topic

  • Abby Normal
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Heyla all,

      I shall begin on-topic, with a few questions.
      First, in SD, in the chapter "Nysander Alone" on p.
      123-124 (pb) Nysander describes finding Thero tending
      to Seregil after his encounter with the gaterunners in
      the were, but that incident doesn't actually take
      place until several chapters later, in "Gate Running"
      on p. 190 (pb). Something else, that may simply be an
      error on the part of the publisher: in "Mourning
      Night," the women have '�' instead of '�' in their
      names. Those are the only discrepancies that come to
      mind at the moment.

      I know people have discussed actors they'd like
      to see play Seregil in a film; while I was reading the
      books I recall thinking that Dame Judi Dench would
      make a wonderful Magyana. Dame Maggie Smith would be
      good as Idrilain, too.

      Moving off-topic, people have recommended Kristen
      Britain (author of _Green Rider_, if I misspelled her
      name), Juliet McKennit, and Gael Baudino; sorry to
      disagree, but I disliked all three. I was especially
      disappointed by the first two, as I'd expected to like
      their works (I tried Baudino as an experiment).

      FYI, Thanksgiving was established as a national
      holiday during the Civil War by Abraham Lincoln, as a
      symbol of unity. And even if you discount all the
      death due to plague and such in years beforehand, the
      Trail of Tears probably consitute's America's first
      genocide.

      And a Happy Samhain to all.

      Erin

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Jenna
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        > Moving off-topic, people have recommended Kristen
        > Britain (author of _Green Rider_, if I misspelled her
        > name), Juliet McKennit, and Gael Baudino; sorry to
        > disagree, but I disliked all three. I was especially
        > disappointed by the first two, as I'd expected to like
        > their works (I tried Baudino as an experiment).

        I haven't read Baudino yet, but I agree on the first two. _Green Rider_ was
        okay but not spectacular, and I was especially disappointed in _The Theif's
        Gamble_ because I enjoyed the beginning, but it got too hard for me to wade
        through after awhile.

        -Jenna
      • Rie Sheridan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          Of course, one man's trash is another man's
          treasure--that's what makes all these recommendations so
          fun to check out.

          :)

          Rie
          --- Jenna <minako@...> wrote:
          > > Moving off-topic, people have recommended Kristen
          > > Britain (author of _Green Rider_, if I misspelled her
          > > name), Juliet McKennit, and Gael Baudino; sorry to
          > > disagree, but I disliked all three. I was especially
          > > disappointed by the first two, as I'd expected to like
          > > their works (I tried Baudino as an experiment).
          >
          > I haven't read Baudino yet, but I agree on the first two.
          > _Green Rider_ was
          > okay but not spectacular, and I was especially
          > disappointed in _The Theif's
          > Gamble_ because I enjoyed the beginning, but it got too
          > hard for me to wade
          > through after awhile.
          >
          > -Jenna

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • whizbang
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
            > > > Moving off-topic, people have recommended Kristen
            > > > Britain (author of _Green Rider_, if I misspelled her
            > > > name), Juliet McKennit, and Gael Baudino; sorry to
            > > > disagree, but I disliked all three. I was especially
            > > > disappointed by the first two, as I'd expected to like
            > > > their works (I tried Baudino as an experiment).

            same here >_< i had Green Rider recommended, and wasn't impressed at all.
            gave up on it in short order. same goes with Huff's Fire Stone, actually,
            and after i went to all the trouble to track it down! that one is fresher
            in memory than Rider, so i can complain in more detail about what i didn't
            like. it was the secondary character, actually. he was intriguing in the
            first chapter, and by the second had morphed into a standard, spoiled prince
            characterisation that was rather uninteristing.

            Mercedes Lackey -- you don't even want me to go there. at least David
            Eddings, when he retells the same story repeatedly, always does it with such
            delightful characters that it always seems fresh.

            so, you're probably thinking by now that i'm pleased by nothing that i read.
            not so! Lynn's books, obviously, or i wouldn't be on this list ^_~. Robin
            McKinley remains a favorite -- the Blue Sword, unequivocally, remains to
            this day my favorite book EVER. i compulsively buy copies that i see in odd
            places, so i always have plenty to give away to friends. Garth Nix is
            wonderful -- delightful like Lynn in that he too responds personally to fan
            mail. for my bleaker moods, there is Flanders, by Patricia Anthony.
            utterly beautiful, though i think it's been recommended on this list before.
            and finally, the rare and excellent Tattooed Potato and other Clues, by
            Ellen Raskin. (seeing a pattern? i do like children's books, quite a lot!)
            sadly out of print, copies are demanding pricetags of around $50, with good
            reason! if you ever see one cheaper, snap it up!

            -whizzy
            oh god -- look at all the words i just wasted! (nanowrimo's got me jittery
            ^.~)