Re: [Flewelling] BDT: It's Official

  • Rie Sheridan
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
      People at your store were just lucky... :)

      --- claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@...> wrote:

      > ->
      > > > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today.
      >
      > Yikes! We have had ours on the shelf for sale since
      > last week! Hope I didn't break any anti-trust laws.
      > My receiving guys would have said something if the box
      > came in marked with a specific street date.
      >
      > Claudia

      > http://phone.yahoo.com

      =====
      Rie Sheridan http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/riesheridan
      RIEVISIONS and DANCING ON THE EDGE-SunnySide Up Publishing
      THE BLOOD THAT BINDS-12/3/01 from NovelBooks,Inc.
      THE LUTE AND THE LIAR-6/10/02 http://novelbooksinc.com
      THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ-Fall 2002 from LTD Books

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • dangelle@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
        --- In Flewelling@y..., Rie Sheridan <riewrites1@y...> wrote:
        > Arrgh! Maybe I should wait until the weekend then...after
        > all...I've made it this far...*sob*

        Be strong. You can do it. Deep breaths.

        Angelle

        > --- dangelle@h... wrote:
        > > --- In Flewelling@y..., "Emily Horner"

        > > > Despite which, it's neither at Chapters nor Indigo
        > > yet--and on my
        > > last day
        > > > for a year in an English-speaking country, too!
        > > > Guess I'll have to special-order a copy after I get to
        > > Japan...after years
        > > > of doing special-orders in the other direction to get
        > > books I
        > > wanted.
        > > >
        > > > Emily
        > >
        > > I just got back from my local Borders (outside St. Louis)
        > > and didn't
        > > see it there. I guess they haven't unpacked it yet.
        > >
        > > Angelle
        > >

        > =====
        > Rie Sheridan http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/riesheridan
        > RIEVISIONS and DANCING ON THE EDGE-SunnySide Up Publishing
        > THE BLOOD THAT BINDS-12/3/01 from NovelBooks,Inc.
        > THE LUTE AND THE LIAR-6/10/02 http://novelbooksinc.com
        > THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ-Fall 2002 from LTD Books

        > http://phone.yahoo.com
      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
          --- In Flewelling@y..., claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@y...> wrote:

          > ->
          > > > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today.
          >
          > Yikes! We have had ours on the shelf for sale since
          > last week! Hope I didn't break any anti-trust laws.
          > My receiving guys would have said something if the box
          > came in marked with a specific street date.
          >
          > Claudia

          Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
          earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
          the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
          other languages soon, too.
        • shadow12458@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/02/2001 9:41:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Leafmirror@... writes:

            > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today. :-)

            oops....i guess i shouldn't have bought it at work yesterday....and i ordered
            an extra few copies....that's o.k., isn't it....

            shadow
            who now owns both the u.k. and u.s. versions....

          • calvin8@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
              Hi,

              L> Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
              L> earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
              L> the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
              L> other languages soon, too.

              So you're depending on some german publishing house to say 'We buy it'
              before an official translation is done? Or does this affect other
              countries as well (so the place where it is presented could be Toronto
              or Tokio for all it's worth)? BTW, it's spelled 'Frankfurt'.
              I would have thought there were solid contracts for maybe 5 books or
              so, given their constant quality...

              --
              Bye: Andi S. mailto:ash@...
            • Rie Sheridan
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                --- calvin8@... wrote:

                > So you're depending on some german publishing house to
                > say 'We buy it'
                > before an official translation is done?

                Waiting in line for a German translation, I've been hearing
                a lot about this fair. It is HUGE--there are people form
                all over Europe there. And, from what I've seen, the
                publisher who is interested will GET an official
                translation done. Is that right, Lynn?

                =====

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                  --- In Flewelling@y..., calvin8@t... wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > L> Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
                  > L> earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
                  > L> the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
                  > L> other languages soon, too.
                  >
                  > So you're depending on some german publishing house to say 'We buy it'
                  > before an official translation is done? Or does this affect other
                  > countries as well (so the place where it is presented could be Toronto
                  > or Tokio for all it's worth)? BTW, it's spelled 'Frankfurt'.
                  > I would have thought there were solid contracts for maybe 5 books or
                  > so, given their constant quality...

                  Frankfurt, of course. Blame my fuzzy bronchial brain. ;-) As I
                  understand it, the FBF is the major European book deals convenvention.
                  Publishers from all over Europe come looking for new books to acquire
                  for their house. Germany had no control over this, it's just where it
                  happens. No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                  German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                  books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                  which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                  completely independent of the other.
                • Dan Callaghan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                    That's interesting ... I bought my copy last week, and I'm certain I saw it
                    on the shelves at the bookstore a week or two before that also ...

                    Dan

                    > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today. :-)

                  • Abby Normal
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                      Heyla all,

                      I cannot get BDT for at least a week, as I'm
                      going on tour in a few days, which makes me sad. It
                      makes me much more sad that I have no idea when I'll
                      have time to read it even when I do get it. However,
                      knowing myself, I am much more likely to read it than
                      write papers. (Over the summer when reading the other
                      three books I stayed up all night with each one; it's
                      probably a good thing I couldn't get them all at once.
                      Saved me from serious sleep deprivation.)
                      People were mentioning LotR covers; I have my big
                      pretty book with Alan Lee illustrations. I spent weeks
                      saving up for that so I wouldn't have to steal my
                      mother's copies any more.
                      A question: yahoo apparently doesn't like me and
                      didn't put my setting on digest even though I
                      requested it. If someone could tell me how to remedy
                      this I'd be very grateful.

                      Erin

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                        In a message dated 10/3/01 12:35:58 AM GMT Daylight Time,
                        ambermoon_00@... writes:

                        > A question: yahoo apparently doesn't like me and
                        > didn't put my setting on digest even though I
                        > requested it. If someone could tell me how to remedy
                        > this I'd be very grateful.
                        >
                        > Erin

                        I can go and do it for you if you have any problems....

                      • calvin8@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                          Hi,

                          L> Frankfurt, of course. Blame my fuzzy bronchial brain. ;-)

                          :-) Get well soon.

                          L> As I
                          L> understand it, the FBF is the major European book deals convenvention.
                          L> Publishers from all over Europe come looking for new books to acquire
                          L> for their house. Germany had no control over this, it's just where it
                          L> happens.

                          Right, I remember reading a bit about it...

                          L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                          L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                          L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                          L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                          L> completely independent of the other.

                          Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                          I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                          original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                          naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                          --
                          Bye: Andi S. mailto:ash@...
                        • Rie Sheridan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                            --- calvin8@... wrote:

                            > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the
                            > translation at all?
                            > I always thought the translators would maybe get in
                            > contact with the
                            > original writers and check back on meanings and so on.
                            > Well, another
                            > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                            I'm sure it depends on the translator...a conscientious one
                            might WANT that contact--but NOT contacting the author
                            doesn't mean that the translator doesn't care about quality
                            either...sorry..rambling....

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                              In a message dated 03/10/01 11:46:32 GMT Daylight Time, calvin8@...
                              writes:

                              > L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                              > L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                              > L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                              > L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                              > L> completely independent of the other.
                              >
                              > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                              > I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                              > original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                              > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                              If only <g>. I've just been reading the most accurate English translation
                              of Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, not that old a
                              translation actually, and comparing it with the absolutely horrendous
                              original translation that was published in the UK for many years. In fact as
                              it is long out of copyright certain publishers have been known to still
                              publish the original English version. Translation is the wrong word to
                              describe it, because it certainly wasn't, it was almost completely
                              re-written, they even changed the character's names. I often wonder what poor
                              old Jules Verne thought at the time.

                              Helen
                            • Lynn
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                --- In Flewelling@y..., calvin8@t... wrote:
                                ..

                                > L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                                > L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                                > L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                                > L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                                > L> completely independent of the other.
                                >
                                > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                                > I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                                > original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                                > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                                Some do. Most don't. The Czechs were very nice to work with.