Re: [Flewelling] Re: BDT: It's Official

  • Rie Sheridan
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
      Arrgh! Maybe I should wait until the weekend then...after
      all...I've made it this far...*sob*

      --- dangelle@... wrote:
      > --- In Flewelling@y..., "Emily Horner"
      > <Emily.horner@m...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today. :-)
      > > >

      > > Despite which, it's neither at Chapters nor Indigo
      > yet--and on my
      > last day
      > > for a year in an English-speaking country, too!
      > > Guess I'll have to special-order a copy after I get to
      > Japan...after years
      > > of doing special-orders in the other direction to get
      > books I
      > wanted.
      > >
      > > Emily
      >
      > I just got back from my local Borders (outside St. Louis)
      > and didn't
      > see it there. I guess they haven't unpacked it yet.
      >
      > Angelle

      =====
      Rie Sheridan http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/riesheridan
      RIEVISIONS and DANCING ON THE EDGE-SunnySide Up Publishing
      THE BLOOD THAT BINDS-12/3/01 from NovelBooks,Inc.
      THE LUTE AND THE LIAR-6/10/02 http://novelbooksinc.com
      THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ-Fall 2002 from LTD Books

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • Rie Sheridan
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
        People at your store were just lucky... :)

        =====

      • dangelle@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
          --- In Flewelling@y..., Rie Sheridan <riewrites1@y...> wrote:
          > Arrgh! Maybe I should wait until the weekend then...after
          > all...I've made it this far...*sob*

          Be strong. You can do it. Deep breaths.

          Angelle

          > --- dangelle@h... wrote:
          > > --- In Flewelling@y..., "Emily Horner"

          > > > Despite which, it's neither at Chapters nor Indigo
          > > yet--and on my
          > > last day
          > > > for a year in an English-speaking country, too!
          > > > Guess I'll have to special-order a copy after I get to
          > > Japan...after years
          > > > of doing special-orders in the other direction to get
          > > books I
          > > wanted.
          > > >
          > > > Emily
          > >
          > > I just got back from my local Borders (outside St. Louis)
          > > and didn't
          > > see it there. I guess they haven't unpacked it yet.
          > >
          > > Angelle
          > >

          > =====
          > Rie Sheridan http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/riesheridan
          > RIEVISIONS and DANCING ON THE EDGE-SunnySide Up Publishing
          > THE BLOOD THAT BINDS-12/3/01 from NovelBooks,Inc.
          > THE LUTE AND THE LIAR-6/10/02 http://novelbooksinc.com
          > THE RIGHT HAND OF VELACHAZ-Fall 2002 from LTD Books

          > http://phone.yahoo.com
        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
            --- In Flewelling@y..., claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@y...> wrote:

            > ->
            > > > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today.
            >
            > Yikes! We have had ours on the shelf for sale since
            > last week! Hope I didn't break any anti-trust laws.
            > My receiving guys would have said something if the box
            > came in marked with a specific street date.
            >
            > Claudia

            Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
            earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
            the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
            other languages soon, too.
          • shadow12458@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
              In a message dated 10/02/2001 9:41:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              Leafmirror@... writes:

              > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today. :-)

              oops....i guess i shouldn't have bought it at work yesterday....and i ordered
              an extra few copies....that's o.k., isn't it....

              shadow
              who now owns both the u.k. and u.s. versions....

            • calvin8@t-online.de
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                Hi,

                L> Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
                L> earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
                L> the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
                L> other languages soon, too.

                So you're depending on some german publishing house to say 'We buy it'
                before an official translation is done? Or does this affect other
                countries as well (so the place where it is presented could be Toronto
                or Tokio for all it's worth)? BTW, it's spelled 'Frankfurt'.
                I would have thought there were solid contracts for maybe 5 books or
                so, given their constant quality...

                --
                Bye: Andi S. mailto:ash@...
              • Rie Sheridan
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                  --- calvin8@... wrote:

                  > So you're depending on some german publishing house to
                  > say 'We buy it'
                  > before an official translation is done?

                  Waiting in line for a German translation, I've been hearing
                  a lot about this fair. It is HUGE--there are people form
                  all over Europe there. And, from what I've seen, the
                  publisher who is interested will GET an official
                  translation done. Is that right, Lynn?

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                    --- In Flewelling@y..., calvin8@t... wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > L> Not to worry. Oct. 2 was the official release date, but they do show up
                    > L> earlier in some places. My agent just wrote to say that she's off to
                    > L> the Frankfort Book Fair with it, so hopefully we'll see it in some
                    > L> other languages soon, too.
                    >
                    > So you're depending on some german publishing house to say 'We buy it'
                    > before an official translation is done? Or does this affect other
                    > countries as well (so the place where it is presented could be Toronto
                    > or Tokio for all it's worth)? BTW, it's spelled 'Frankfurt'.
                    > I would have thought there were solid contracts for maybe 5 books or
                    > so, given their constant quality...

                    Frankfurt, of course. Blame my fuzzy bronchial brain. ;-) As I
                    understand it, the FBF is the major European book deals convenvention.
                    Publishers from all over Europe come looking for new books to acquire
                    for their house. Germany had no control over this, it's just where it
                    happens. No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                    German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                    books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                    which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                    completely independent of the other.
                  • Dan Callaghan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                      That's interesting ... I bought my copy last week, and I'm certain I saw it
                      on the shelves at the bookstore a week or two before that also ...

                      Dan

                      > Bone Doll's Twin is officially for sale today. :-)

                    • Abby Normal
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Heyla all,

                        I cannot get BDT for at least a week, as I'm
                        going on tour in a few days, which makes me sad. It
                        makes me much more sad that I have no idea when I'll
                        have time to read it even when I do get it. However,
                        knowing myself, I am much more likely to read it than
                        write papers. (Over the summer when reading the other
                        three books I stayed up all night with each one; it's
                        probably a good thing I couldn't get them all at once.
                        Saved me from serious sleep deprivation.)
                        People were mentioning LotR covers; I have my big
                        pretty book with Alan Lee illustrations. I spent weeks
                        saving up for that so I wouldn't have to steal my
                        mother's copies any more.
                        A question: yahoo apparently doesn't like me and
                        didn't put my setting on digest even though I
                        requested it. If someone could tell me how to remedy
                        this I'd be very grateful.

                        Erin

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                          In a message dated 10/3/01 12:35:58 AM GMT Daylight Time,
                          ambermoon_00@... writes:

                          > A question: yahoo apparently doesn't like me and
                          > didn't put my setting on digest even though I
                          > requested it. If someone could tell me how to remedy
                          > this I'd be very grateful.
                          >
                          > Erin

                          I can go and do it for you if you have any problems....

                        • calvin8@t-online.de
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                            Hi,

                            L> Frankfurt, of course. Blame my fuzzy bronchial brain. ;-)

                            :-) Get well soon.

                            L> As I
                            L> understand it, the FBF is the major European book deals convenvention.
                            L> Publishers from all over Europe come looking for new books to acquire
                            L> for their house. Germany had no control over this, it's just where it
                            L> happens.

                            Right, I remember reading a bit about it...

                            L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                            L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                            L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                            L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                            L> completely independent of the other.

                            Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                            I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                            original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                            naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                            --
                            Bye: Andi S. mailto:ash@...
                          • Rie Sheridan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                              --- calvin8@... wrote:

                              > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the
                              > translation at all?
                              > I always thought the translators would maybe get in
                              > contact with the
                              > original writers and check back on meanings and so on.
                              > Well, another
                              > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                              I'm sure it depends on the translator...a conscientious one
                              might WANT that contact--but NOT contacting the author
                              doesn't mean that the translator doesn't care about quality
                              either...sorry..rambling....

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                In a message dated 03/10/01 11:46:32 GMT Daylight Time, calvin8@...
                                writes:

                                > L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                                > L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                                > L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                                > L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                                > L> completely independent of the other.
                                >
                                > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                                > I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                                > original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                                > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                                If only <g>. I've just been reading the most accurate English translation
                                of Jules Verne's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, not that old a
                                translation actually, and comparing it with the absolutely horrendous
                                original translation that was published in the UK for many years. In fact as
                                it is long out of copyright certain publishers have been known to still
                                publish the original English version. Translation is the wrong word to
                                describe it, because it certainly wasn't, it was almost completely
                                re-written, they even changed the character's names. I often wonder what poor
                                old Jules Verne thought at the time.

                                Helen
                              • Lynn
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 3, 2001
                                  --- In Flewelling@y..., calvin8@t... wrote:
                                  ..

                                  > L> No book gets translated by it's original publisher, btw. A
                                  > L> German publisher buys the German language rights (from me) to one of my
                                  > L> books, then has their in house translators create the German edition,
                                  > L> which they publish. Same goes for all the other countries. Each is
                                  > L> completely independent of the other.
                                  >
                                  > Interesting... so you have nothing to do with the translation at all?
                                  > I always thought the translators would maybe get in contact with the
                                  > original writers and check back on meanings and so on. Well, another
                                  > naive childish fantasy destroyed :-)

                                  Some do. Most don't. The Czechs were very nice to work with.