a treat for Lynn

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
      Some weeks ago, there appeared on TV a single episode of something called I
      think, Dead Rooms: the dark beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. I probably got
      the first bit wrong as I have a mental block about it. Anyway, it's about
      Arthur Conan Doyle at University and his tutor Sir something Bell and a bit
      of investigating. I'd presumed it was a one off, but there are more starting
      this week. And the interesting thing is it stars Ian Richardson as Bell.

      It's a BBC show so I'll have a look see if it's a co-production, if not it'll
      turn up on BBC America I should think.

      It's a good week for detectives in the UK, Rebus is back too, sigh. John
      Hannah in adaptions of Ian Rankin's lovely dark books.

    • aruello@vetmail.lsu.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        -- In Flewelling@y..., HBrown9628@a... wrote:
        > Some weeks ago, there appeared on TV a single episode of something
        called I
        > think, Dead Rooms: the dark beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. I
        probably got
        > the first bit wrong as I have a mental block about it. Anyway,
        it's about
        > Arthur Conan Doyle at University and his tutor Sir something Bell
        and a bit
        > of investigating. I'd presumed it was a one off, but there are more
        starting
        > this week. And the interesting thing is it stars Ian Richardson as
        Bell.

        > It's a BBC show so I'll have a look see if it's a co-production, if
        not it'll
        > turn up on BBC America I should think.

        Yes, yes, yes!! I accidentally caught that first episode and loved
        it. I was disappointed when I never saw any follow-ups to it. I'll
        have to see if I can find out when I can catch these next ones. I
        think the first one was run as part of the _Mystery!_ series PBS
        shows. Thanks for the heads up!

        amy
        *running off to the pbs website for listings*
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
          aruello@... writes:

          > Yes, yes, yes!! I accidentally caught that first episode and loved
          > it. I was disappointed when I never saw any follow-ups to it. I'll
          > have to see if I can find out when I can catch these next ones. I
          > think the first one was run as part of the _Mystery!_ series PBS
          > shows. Thanks for the heads up!
          >
          > amy
          > *running off to the pbs website for listings*

          Not sure how long you'll have to wait but the new ones are only airing on the
          BBC this week. But they look good <g>.

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
            Sounds wonderful! I've read bits and pieces about Sir Bell, but have
            never seen an extensive treatment. And Ian Richardson? yes yes yes!
            I'm off to check my PBS listings. I've been out of touch this summer.
            At the moment my only television obsession is the late night reruns of
            "Homicide:Life on the Streets" on a cable channel. One of the best
            made shows ever, IMHO.

            :-)

            Lynn

            In Flewelling@y..., HBrown9628@a... wrote:
            > Some weeks ago, there appeared on TV a single episode of something called I
            > think, Dead Rooms: the dark beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. I probably got
            > the first bit wrong as I have a mental block about it. Anyway, it's about
            > Arthur Conan Doyle at University and his tutor Sir something Bell and a bit
            > of investigating. I'd presumed it was a one off, but there are more starting
            > this week. And the interesting thing is it stars Ian Richardson as Bell.
            >
            > It's a BBC show so I'll have a look see if it's a co-production, if not it'll
            > turn up on BBC America I should think.
            >
            > It's a good week for detectives in the UK, Rebus is back too, sigh. John
            > Hannah in adaptions of Ian Rankin's lovely dark books.
            >
            > Helen

          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
              A few years ago one of the PBS shows (I can't remember which one) did a
              whole story on the making of an episode of Homicide:Life on the Streets, and
              they followed it with the episode itself, broadcast in its entirety without
              a commercial interruption. It was a superb pievce of 'television about
              television,' and would have turned even the jaded viewer into a fan of the
              show.

              Sounds wonderful! I've read bits and pieces about Sir Bell, but have
              never seen an extensive treatment. And Ian Richardson? yes yes yes!
              I'm off to check my PBS listings. I've been out of touch this summer.
              At the moment my only television obsession is the late night reruns of
              "Homicide:Life on the Streets" on a cable channel. One of the best
              made shows ever, IMHO.

              :-)

              Lynn

              In Flewelling@y..., HBrown9628@a... wrote:
              > Some weeks ago, there appeared on TV a single episode of something
              called I
              > think, Dead Rooms: the dark beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. I probably
              got
              > the first bit wrong as I have a mental block about it. Anyway, it's
              about
              > Arthur Conan Doyle at University and his tutor Sir something Bell and
              a bit
              > of investigating. I'd presumed it was a one off, but there are more
              starting
              > this week. And the interesting thing is it stars Ian Richardson as
              Bell.

              > It's a BBC show so I'll have a look see if it's a co-production, if
              not it'll
              > turn up on BBC America I should think.
              >
              > It's a good week for detectives in the UK, Rebus is back too, sigh.
              John
              > Hannah in adaptions of Ian Rankin's lovely dark books.
              >
              > Helen

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Loireag
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
                --- HBrown9628@... wrote:
                > Some weeks ago, there appeared on TV a single episode of something
                > called I
                > think, Dead Rooms: the dark beginnings of Sherlock Holmes. I
                > probably got
                > the first bit wrong as I have a mental block about it. Anyway, it's
                > about
                > Arthur Conan Doyle at University and his tutor Sir something Bell and
                > a bit
                > of investigating. I'd presumed it was a one off, but there are more
                > starting
                > this week. And the interesting thing is it stars Ian Richardson as
                > Bell.

                I meant to respond to this a while ago -- I saw that it was on our
                local Public Broadcasting channel, but then it went by <fwooop> and I
                didn't get to see it. :( I'd love to though -- I'm a big British
                mystery freak.

                > It's a BBC show so I'll have a look see if it's a co-production, if
                > not it'll
                > turn up on BBC America I should think.
                >
                > It's a good week for detectives in the UK, Rebus is back too, sigh.
                > John
                > Hannah in adaptions of Ian Rankin's lovely dark books.
                >
                > Helen

                Which mystery is this? Is this the medical examiner series with John
                Hannah (although I get the feeling not...that was not it's
                title...which I'm blanking on). Is it just called Rebus, or is that
                just the character's name? Perhaps I can see if it's on BBC America.

                I miss John Hannah. Sigh.

                Robin B.

                =====

                "You were my soul and my silence
                You were my hope, my lightness
                You were the sword at my side
                through all the winds that blow..." -- Duncan Sheik
                Visit my manor -- http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/loireag
                Check out Rambles! -- a cultural arts magazine

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
              • Loireag
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
                  --- Lynn <Leafmirror@...> wrote:
                  > Sounds wonderful! I've read bits and pieces about Sir Bell, but have
                  > never seen an extensive treatment. And Ian Richardson? yes yes yes!
                  > I'm off to check my PBS listings. I've been out of touch this summer.
                  >
                  > At the moment my only television obsession is the late night reruns
                  > of
                  > "Homicide:Life on the Streets" on a cable channel. One of the best
                  > made shows ever, IMHO.
                  >
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > Lynn

                  I have to share -- when I read this, Lynn, I let out a little yelp of
                  laughter that lead my roommate to look at me rather inquisitively. We,
                  oh, about 6 months ago, got equally obsessed (I feel like that's
                  spelled wrong...) with Homicide. I do indeed agree, it is an
                  excellent, excellent show. Certainly one of the best.

                  Also -- have you read the book Homicide:LOTS was based on? It's called
                  Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, by David Simon -- he was a
                  crime beat reporter at the Baltimore Sun, and I think (perhaps) remains
                  one of the only journalists ever allowed such intimate access to
                  Homicide cops. He spent an entire year following the three Homicide
                  shifts around. It's an amaingly well-written book, with all of the
                  verve and keen observations that the show has along with an incredible
                  rhythm. Check it out. :)

                  On that note, have you ever seen OZ, the HBO show by the same
                  writing/producing team? It's a little more of a soap opera than
                  Homicide was, but it's quite intriguing -- if a bit violent.

                  sorry for the OT rambling...

                  Robin B.

                  P.S. My roommate is going to send me her recipe for butternut squash
                  soup soon, so I can add it to the roster of soups. :)

                  =====

                  "You were my soul and my silence
                  You were my hope, my lightness
                  You were the sword at my side
                  through all the winds that blow..." -- Duncan Sheik
                  Visit my manor -- http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/loireag
                  Check out Rambles! -- a cultural arts magazine

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Loireag
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
                    --- Jeff Johnson <jjohnson@...> wrote:
                    > A few years ago one of the PBS shows (I can't remember which one) did
                    > whole story on the making of an episode of Homicide:Life on the
                    > Streets, and
                    > they followed it with the episode itself, broadcast in its entirety
                    > without
                    > a commercial interruption. It was a superb pievce of 'television
                    > about
                    > television,' and would have turned even the jaded viewer into a fan
                    > of the
                    > show.

                    That was truly cool -- and it reminded me why Vincent D'Onofrio is an
                    underrated actor. It was also fascinating to see the struggle Homicide
                    had to put on every week in order to compete with <shudder> Nash
                    Bridges. (Apologies to any Nash Bridges fans), as well as over content
                    and language. It must be hell to try to get a realistic vision of cops
                    on a network channel.

                    Robin B.

                    =====

                    "You were my soul and my silence
                    You were my hope, my lightness
                    You were the sword at my side
                    through all the winds that blow..." -- Duncan Sheik
                    Visit my manor -- http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/loireag
                    Check out Rambles! -- a cultural arts magazine

                    http://im.yahoo.com
                  • Rie Sheridan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2001
                      That's okay, Robin--I like BOTH...lol

                      Homicide is wonderful for the grit, and Nash Bridges for
                      the playfulness of the characters. I grew up watching Don
                      Johnson, so it is hard not to like him... :)

                      --- Loireag <loireag@...> wrote:

                      > --- Jeff Johnson <jjohnson@...> wrote:
                      > > A few years ago one of the PBS shows (I can't remember
                      > which one) did
                      > > whole story on the making of an episode of
                      > Homicide:Life on the
                      > > Streets, and
                      > > they followed it with the episode itself, broadcast in
                      > its entirety
                      > > without
                      > > a commercial interruption. It was a superb pievce of
                      > 'television
                      > > about
                      > > television,' and would have turned even the jaded
                      > viewer into a fan
                      > > of the
                      > > show.
                      >
                      > That was truly cool -- and it reminded me why Vincent
                      > D'Onofrio is an
                      > underrated actor. It was also fascinating to see the
                      > struggle Homicide
                      > had to put on every week in order to compete with
                      > <shudder> Nash
                      > Bridges. (Apologies to any Nash Bridges fans), as well as
                      > over content
                      > and language. It must be hell to try to get a realistic
                      > vision of cops
                      > on a network channel.
                      >
                      > Robin B.
                      >

                      > =====
                      >
                      > "You were my soul and my silence
                      > You were my hope, my lightness
                      > You were the sword at my side
                      > through all the winds that blow..." -- Duncan Sheik
                      > Visit my manor -- http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/loireag
                      > Check out Rambles! -- a cultural arts magazine

                      > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging
                      > with Yahoo! Messenger
                      > http://im.yahoo.com

                      =====
                      Rie Sheridan
                      Sr. Fiction Editor VERGE Mag: http://www.vergemag.com/
                      website: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/riesheridan
                      THE BLOOD THAT BINDS-12/3/01 from NovelBooks,Inc.
                      THE LUTE AND THE LIAR-6/10/02 http://novelbooksinc.com

                      http://im.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 6, 2001
                        In a message dated 9/4/01 4:02:53 PM GMT Daylight Time, loireag@...
                        writes:

                        > > It's a good week for detectives in the UK, Rebus is back too, sigh.
                        > > John
                        > > Hannah in adaptions of Ian Rankin's lovely dark books.
                        > >
                        > > Helen
                        >
                        > Which mystery is this? Is this the medical examiner series with John
                        > Hannah (although I get the feeling not...that was not it's
                        > title...which I'm blanking on). Is it just called Rebus, or is that
                        > just the character's name? Perhaps I can see if it's on BBC America.
                        >
                        > I miss John Hannah. Sigh.
                        >
                        > Robin B.

                        Nope that was the other series he did, McCallum. Rebus is an unorthodox
                        policeman based in Edinburgh. It's an ITV show, which isn't good for it being
                        shown on US tv, they don't seem to sell as much abroad. They made one
                        feature length episode last year and I was dubious about them making more,
                        but they have made another three, yum.