Re: OT Daughter of the Blood

  • dangelle@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
      --- In Flewelling@y..., Rie Sheridan <hmsrie@s...> wrote:
      > And,
      > since Im obviously a fan of Flewelling... I like slash!

      Okay, I have to ask: What is slash?

      Oh, and I am completely moved in to my new home. Boxes everywhere,
      but we are slowly putting our world back in order. The cats love all
      the windows, and that's all that matters ;) Internet was hooked up
      yesterday and now that I have a new address I went to amazon.uk to
      order Bone Doll Twin. I went to amazon to order Assassin Fantastic.
      Yep, all my ducks are in a row.

      Angelle
    • Rie Sheridan
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
        "Slash" is a term for same sex relationships-usually in fan fiction. I think
        that the term originally applied to Kirk "/" Spock stories, and that was
        where the term slash came from. If there are two strong male characters in a
        TV series, someone has written slash about them somewhere. It isn't as
        popular with female characters.
        Rie Sheridan
        Senior Staff Editor (Fiction/Writing Dept.) Verge Communications LLC:
        http:www.vergemag.com
        website: http://www.riewriter.com/
        THE BLOOD THAT BINDS coming December 2001
        ISBN numbers: (electronic format) 1-931696-15-2 / (paperback) 1-931696-84-5
        THE LUTE AND THE LIAR coming June 2002
        ISBN numbers: (electronic format) 1-931696-34-1/ (paperback) 1-931696-65-9
        from NovelBooks, Inc.: http://novelbooksinc.com/

      • XYohjiKudouX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
          In a message dated 07/08/2001 7:59:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          dangelle@... writes:

          > Okay, I have to ask: What is slash?

          It is a story written, usually in fandom, where the charecters who arent
          usually gay..are.
          Alot of slash writers are fans of M. Lackey, and Flewelling.
          Anyway,.. this is probablyt wayoff topic, and I dont wanna get in trouble,
          so sorry!
          Dori

          Dori

          "Me a Weiss Kreuz fan? What gave me away?".... ::looks down at my Yohji
          outfit::

          http://dzaydezebra.ma-at.net/

        • Glass Houses
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
            --- Rie Sheridan <hmsrie@...> wrote:
            > It's not a REQUIREMENT of being a fan of Lynn's that
            > you like slash....There
            > are good slash stories-I spent the day reading
            > Hercules/Iolaus stories-but I
            > think that Lynn's writing definitely transcends the
            > typical slash title and
            > is a wonderful relationship story.

            Well, not to split hairs, but a focus on the
            relationship is one of the hallmarks of slash, unless
            you specifically search for PWPs (plot? what plot?).
            That said, Lynn's attention to her character's complex
            relationships keeps me rereading my dog-eared copies
            <g>.

            =====
            GH
            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Rie Sheridan

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                In a message dated 07/08/2001 9:04:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                ghouses@... writes:

                > That said, Lynn's attention to her character's complex
                > relationships keeps me rereading my dog-eared copies
                > <g>.

                Me too... I just love the charecter interaction. And often m/f relationships
                in fantasy arent as well written.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Now, now...as a writer whose relationships (so far) have all fallen into
                  that category and considering that a good percentage of them do...I think
                  this is a little bit of a generality...in the hands of a good writer the
                  relationships work. Period. IMHO

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                    In a message dated 07/09/2001 8:56:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    hmsrie@... writes:

                    > Now, now...as a writer whose relationships (so far) have all fallen into
                    > that category and considering that a good percentage of them do...I think
                    > this is a little bit of a generality...in the hands of a good writer the
                    > relationships work. Period. IMHO

                    I havent read anything of yours so I cant comment on that.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                      I understand that, Dori-what I want to say is that one should be careful
                      with generalizations because there are more m/f relationships out there than
                      same sex, and SURELY they can't all be bad-I would be willing to go so far
                      as to say that a fair percentage of them work...just not to the depth and
                      skill that Lynn's does. :)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2001
                        In a message dated 07/09/2001 10:59:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        hmsrie@... writes:

                        > I understand that, Dori-what I want to say is that one should be careful

                        ..I hope this wasnt condescending.. I read alot and Im an adult, so I know
                        about making generalizations. Ive been reading books and stories for about 30
                        years now, and I stick to my opinion.