RE: [Flewelling] OT Daughter of the Blood

  • Rie Sheridan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
      And,
      since Im obviously a fan of Flewelling... I like slash!

      It's not a REQUIREMENT of being a fan of Lynn's that you like slash....There
      are good slash stories-I spent the day reading Hercules/Iolaus stories-but I
      think that Lynn's writing definitely transcends the typical slash title and
      is a wonderful relationship story.

      Rie Sheridan
      Senior Staff Editor (Fiction/Writing Dept.) Verge Communications LLC:
      http:www.vergemag.com
      website: http://www.riewriter.com/
      THE BLOOD THAT BINDS coming December 2001
      ISBN numbers: (electronic format) 1-931696-15-2 / (paperback) 1-931696-84-5
      THE LUTE AND THE LIAR coming June 2002
      ISBN numbers: (electronic format) 1-931696-34-1/ (paperback) 1-931696-65-9
      from NovelBooks, Inc.: http://novelbooksinc.com/
    • dangelle@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
        --- In Flewelling@y..., Rie Sheridan <hmsrie@s...> wrote:
        > And,
        > since Im obviously a fan of Flewelling... I like slash!

        Okay, I have to ask: What is slash?

        Oh, and I am completely moved in to my new home. Boxes everywhere,
        but we are slowly putting our world back in order. The cats love all
        the windows, and that's all that matters ;) Internet was hooked up
        yesterday and now that I have a new address I went to amazon.uk to
        order Bone Doll Twin. I went to amazon to order Assassin Fantastic.
        Yep, all my ducks are in a row.

        Angelle
      • Rie Sheridan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
          "Slash" is a term for same sex relationships-usually in fan fiction. I think
          that the term originally applied to Kirk "/" Spock stories, and that was
          where the term slash came from. If there are two strong male characters in a
          TV series, someone has written slash about them somewhere. It isn't as
          popular with female characters.

        • XYohjiKudouX@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
            In a message dated 07/08/2001 7:59:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            dangelle@... writes:

            > Okay, I have to ask: What is slash?

            It is a story written, usually in fandom, where the charecters who arent
            usually gay..are.
            Alot of slash writers are fans of M. Lackey, and Flewelling.
            Anyway,.. this is probablyt wayoff topic, and I dont wanna get in trouble,
            so sorry!
            Dori

            Dori

            "Me a Weiss Kreuz fan? What gave me away?".... ::looks down at my Yohji
            outfit::

            http://dzaydezebra.ma-at.net/

          • Glass Houses
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2001
              --- Rie Sheridan <hmsrie@...> wrote:
              > It's not a REQUIREMENT of being a fan of Lynn's that
              > you like slash....There
              > are good slash stories-I spent the day reading
              > Hercules/Iolaus stories-but I
              > think that Lynn's writing definitely transcends the
              > typical slash title and
              > is a wonderful relationship story.

              Well, not to split hairs, but a focus on the
              relationship is one of the hallmarks of slash, unless
              you specifically search for PWPs (plot? what plot?).
              That said, Lynn's attention to her character's complex
              relationships keeps me rereading my dog-eared copies
              <g>.

              =====
              GH
              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Rie Sheridan

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                  In a message dated 07/08/2001 9:04:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  ghouses@... writes:

                  > That said, Lynn's attention to her character's complex
                  > relationships keeps me rereading my dog-eared copies
                  > <g>.

                  Me too... I just love the charecter interaction. And often m/f relationships
                  in fantasy arent as well written.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Now, now...as a writer whose relationships (so far) have all fallen into
                    that category and considering that a good percentage of them do...I think
                    this is a little bit of a generality...in the hands of a good writer the
                    relationships work. Period. IMHO

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                      In a message dated 07/09/2001 8:56:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                      hmsrie@... writes:

                      > Now, now...as a writer whose relationships (so far) have all fallen into
                      > that category and considering that a good percentage of them do...I think
                      > this is a little bit of a generality...in the hands of a good writer the
                      > relationships work. Period. IMHO

                      I havent read anything of yours so I cant comment on that.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2001
                        I understand that, Dori-what I want to say is that one should be careful
                        with generalizations because there are more m/f relationships out there than
                        same sex, and SURELY they can't all be bad-I would be willing to go so far
                        as to say that a fair percentage of them work...just not to the depth and
                        skill that Lynn's does. :)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 10, 2001
                          In a message dated 07/09/2001 10:59:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                          hmsrie@... writes:

                          > I understand that, Dori-what I want to say is that one should be careful

                          ..I hope this wasnt condescending.. I read alot and Im an adult, so I know
                          about making generalizations. Ive been reading books and stories for about 30
                          years now, and I stick to my opinion.