Re: english books

  • KirstenKoehne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31 11:52 AM
      I can only agree! Most of the people I know think it absolutely
      strange (almost weird...) that I read books in English. To my mind
      people are just too lazy to read English books. For instance, my
      sister spent three months in Texas and even after THAT she didn't
      pick up an English novel, though she does read a lot (at least as
      much as I do). But besides being lazy about foreign languages it
      really depends an awful lot upon what kind of language teacher you
      had in school! I remember it only too well that I had quite a bad
      teacher during the first four years of English (class 5 to 9) and
      only learnt the real thing during the last two years of that school.
      Before those two years I was hardly able to speak a whole sentence on
      my own without depending on how the question read... After those last
      two years, having learnt a lot of basic vocabulary and the whole
      grammar properly (which isn't that difficult, especially if you
      compare it to the German/French/Latin grammar which is much more
      difficult!), I started to read the first small books in English.
      Those were kind of abbrieviated novels which you could get in our
      school library. Having spent a fortnight in England two years later
      helped me to speak more freely and after that I constantly read
      English novels, as my favourite authors are British/American. I only
      wish I could do the same in French - my dream still is to speak and
      read French as well as English! So that for one foreign language...

      I also LOVE the invention of the DVD, which mostly allows me to be
      able to watch a movie in the original. Have you ever compared
      DANGEROUS LIAISONS in the German translation and the English
      original? What a DIFFERENCE! The same goes for most books, too -
      without speaking.

      Kirsten
    • Ricarda Krenn
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 5, 2001
        >I also LOVE the invention of the DVD, which mostly allows me to be
        >able to watch a movie in the original. Have you ever compared
        >DANGEROUS LIAISONS in the German translation and the English
        >original? What a DIFFERENCE! The same goes for most books, too -
        >without speaking.

        THE RUSSIA HOUSE is even worse. The translation has nothing to do with the
        originals.
        By the way, I got my Nightrunner books in English at last. After four long
        month of waiting. Yeah.
        Ylinestra