Re: [Flewelling] Seregil would HATE me for asking this question...

  • Leafmirror@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2001
      In a message dated 4/17/01 10:45:12 PM, ladysalieri@... writes:

      >Lynn, do you have even a timeline of Seregil's life plotted out
      >somewhere (even mentally)?

      Sure do, and it should be fairly clear in the books. When exiled, Seregil is
      sent to the court of his distant kinswoman, Queen Idrilain, and expected to
      be a scribe or someother household retainer. He ends up being apprenticed to
      Nysander while there, fails at that, takes off to find his way, meets Micum,
      and the pair are eventually inducted as Watchers by Nysander when Seregil
      turns back to his old friend.
    • Rie Sheridan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2001
        It's always seemed pretty clear to me...without necessarily spelling out all
        the details, you can put together a fair picture of the wanderings too just
        from what it says in the books.

        Rie Sheridan
        Senior Staff Editor (Fiction/Writing Dept.) Verge Communications LLC:
        http:www.vergemag.com
        >Lynn, do you have even a timeline of Seregil's life plotted out
        >somewhere (even mentally)?

        Sure do, and it should be fairly clear in the books. When exiled, Seregil
        is
        sent to the court of his distant kinswoman, Queen Idrilain, and expected to
        be a scribe or someother household retainer. He ends up being apprenticed
        Nysander while there, fails at that, takes off to find his way, meets Micum,
        and the pair are eventually inducted as Watchers by Nysander when Seregil
        turns back to his old friend.

      • Glass Houses
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
          --- Leafmirror@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/17/01 10:45:12 PM,
          > ladysalieri@... writes:
          >
          > >Lynn, do you have even a timeline of Seregil's life
          > plotted out
          > >somewhere (even mentally)?
          >

          > Sure do, and it should be fairly clear in the books.
          > When exiled, Seregil is
          > sent to the court of his distant kinswoman, Queen
          > Idrilain, and expected to
          > be a scribe or someother household retainer. He
          > ends up being apprenticed to
          > Nysander while there, fails at that, takes off to
          > find his way, meets Micum,
          > and the pair are eventually inducted as Watchers by
          > Nysander when Seregil
          > turns back to his old friend.

          So it's after Seregil fails as Nysander's apprentice
          that he is apprenticed to an assassin and (at some
          point) finds himself working as a prostitute? It
          would be interesting to know what circumstances led
          him to such extreme occupations.

          There was also an incident he mentions to Alec in
          LITS, where he is caught while doing a job and nearly
          beaten to death. I've always wondered if that was a
          job for Nysander or a botched assassination attempt
          (because his heart wasn't in it) or a freelance
          thieving job.

          Later,

          GH

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Leafmirror@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
            In a message dated 4/18/01 11:37:33 AM, ghouses@... writes:

            >So it's after Seregil fails as Nysander's apprentice
            >that he is apprenticed to an assassin and (at some
            >point) finds himself working as a prostitute? It
            >would be interesting to know what circumstances led
            >him to such extreme occupations.

            He never worked as a prostitute. He's just a patron.
          • Glass Houses
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
              --- Leafmirror@... wrote:

              > He never worked as a prostitute. He's just a patron.

              Ah. There's a scene in TM when Seregil and Alec are
              crossing the mountains and are snuggled up for the
              night because it's cold. Alec says Seregil wouldn't
              have made it where he grew up, and Seregil says
              something to the effect of 'I've been a lot of things
              you don't know about. Have you ever wondered why I'm
              so nice to whores?' And Alec answers 'not before now.'

              My husband and I (mis)took that to mean he's generous
              to prostitutes because he know's what it's like to be
              one.

              Sorry I don't have the exact quote since I loaned the
              book -- scratch that!! I told my friend to buy her own
              darn copy because Lynn has kids to put through college
              ;-)

              Did anyone else here misunderstand and think that
              Seregil got paid to do the Wild Thang?

              GH

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • dangelle@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
                --- In Flewelling@y..., Glass Houses <ghouses@y...> wrote:
                > --- Leafmirror@a... wrote:
                >

                > > He never worked as a prostitute. He's just a patron.
                >
                > Ah. There's a scene in TM when Seregil and Alec are
                > crossing the mountains and are snuggled up for the
                > night because it's cold. Alec says Seregil wouldn't
                > have made it where he grew up, and Seregil says
                > something to the effect of 'I've been a lot of things
                > you don't know about. Have you ever wondered why I'm
                > so nice to whores?' And Alec answers 'not before now.'
                >
                > Did anyone else here misunderstand and think that
                > Seregil got paid to do the Wild Thang?
                >
                > GH

                I made the same assumption you did when I read that scene.

                Angelle
              • ladysalieri@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
                  > I made the same assumption you did when I read that scene.

                  I did too! In fact, that's part of the reason I asked about this. I
                  couldn't decide whether he'd started off as a prostitute, then
                  somehow come to the attention of the royal court and then Nysander,
                  or if he'd "hit the skids," so to speak, after leaving the Oreska
                  house and ended up for a while on the Street of Lights.

                  So, wait... what DID that scene between Seregil and Alec mean?

                  T-
                • dangelle@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
                    --- In Flewelling@y..., ladysalieri@a... wrote:
                    > > I made the same assumption you did when I read that scene.
                    >

                    > I did too! In fact, that's part of the reason I asked about this. I
                    > couldn't decide whether he'd started off as a prostitute, then
                    > somehow come to the attention of the royal court and then Nysander,
                    > or if he'd "hit the skids," so to speak, after leaving the Oreska
                    > house and ended up for a while on the Street of Lights.
                    >
                    > So, wait... what DID that scene between Seregil and Alec mean?
                    >
                    > T-

                    Maybe Seregil just likes to tease Alec and make him blush. I know I
                    would.

                    Angelle
                  • Leafmirror@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 18, 2001
                      In a message dated 4/18/01 12:47:50 PM, ghouses@... writes:

                      >My husband and I (mis)took that to mean he's generous
                      >to prostitutes because he know's what it's like to be
                      >one.

                      Ah, I'd forgotten about that. I guess it could be construed like that, and
                      perhaps once or twice in desperate straits, but it was never a career choice.