Re: [Flewelling] more discussion

  • whizbang
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
      > I don't usually post(ok, never post is more like it), but the mention
      > of horses and jumping made me think of something. One of my pet
      > peeves in novels is equine inaccuracies (don't ask me why). Like when
      > the author describes an Arab as huge or massive or whatever. Arabs
      > are actually pretty small and very refined bone structure. If an
      > author goes to the trouble of actually picking a breed of horse to
      > describe it seems like they should know what they look like. I know,
      > this is pretty nipicky :).

      oh, goodness! you picked one of mine ~_^. horses done badly in fiction
      stand out like Santa Clause in a Saint Patrick's Day parade. it annoys the
      fool outta me! and it happens so often, too ;_; not just incorrect
      descriptions, but improper use of terms, and cross-referencing from
      different schools of riding. true, there are dictionaries for this sort of
      thing. but except for the most safe/vague descriptions, it's blaringly
      obvious when an author has simply chosen the words they like the sound of
      best instead of consulting someone the least bit horsy to clean up
      inaccuracies. (from what i recall, Lynn played it safe ^_~)

      and if you're wondering, for an extraordinarily *good* rendition of horses
      in fantasy, i recommend Robin Mckinley's Blue Sword. (which happens to be
      my favorite book ever)

      -whizbang
      horse ownership and college don't mix. but now that i'm out, would be nice
      to get another...

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
        > Does anyone else have pet peeves that jar them out of the story they
        > are reading? (Of course, this is off topic since Lynn could never
        > irritate us!!)

        Well um...I got one...ants...but well ..how often do you stumble
        over ants in books.. in Bernard Werber's of course ( i luf his "ant books"
        :D ).
        but that's about it...

        Nörml

        PS: I never really noticed any "equine inaccuracies", but then I hardly
        know anything about horses except they got 4 legs, a bushy tail and a
        big head...oh I almost forgot...you can even ride on their backs as far as i
        know :P
      • Leafmirror@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
          In a message dated 3/5/01 1:26:47 PM, whizbang@... writes:

          >but except for the most safe/vague descriptions, it's blaringly
          >obvious when an author has simply chosen the words they like the sound
          >of
          >best instead of consulting someone the least bit horsy to clean up
          >inaccuracies. (from what i recall, Lynn played it safe ^_~)

          Sort of. I've ridden, and done the research. Heck, I've even autopsied
          horses, but choose not to dwell on the finer points of horse ownership and
          riding. Unless it's a horse oriented story, it distracts like any other
          digression into an author's pet passions.

          Lynn
        • whizbang
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
            > Sort of. I've ridden, and done the research. Heck, I've even autopsied
            > horses, but choose not to dwell on the finer points of horse ownership and
            > riding. Unless it's a horse oriented story, it distracts like any other
            > digression into an author's pet passions.

            ^_~ i'd call that safe. and when appropriate, i really don't mind those
            little digressions. i cringe when an author has given rather spartan
            descriptions then suddenly smacks you upside the head with a three page
            treatise on some favored topic. ^_^;;

            -whizbang

          • Andrea Chavez
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
              I have a peeve in books -- I'm sure everyone does
              depending on their area of interest, etc....
              Theatre things -- If people are writing about a
              theatre production and they get it wrong, that will be
              enough to make me stop reading! I remember one story
              set in Ashland, OR at the Shakespeare
              festival.....where my parents worked for several
              summers back in the 50's. The writer had the heroine
              of the piece staring as Lady MacBeth, Juliet and I
              think it was Portia....EXCUSE ME??!! Ashland does
              Repertory theatre, meaning several shows are in
              production all at once...no way in hell would one
              actress, however gifted, be able to perform on the
              Elizabethian stage and the Bower theatre at the same
              time!! :-)

              Oh, then there was that "sequel" to Sense and
              Sensiblity called "The Third Sister" Well, I knew not
              to expect Jane Austen, but I did expect the author to
              know that Col. Brandon's first name is Christopher.
              She called him John. I didn't finish the book.

              andrea - getting off her high horse, (I think it is a
              Morgan)

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Maryrose Lockerbie
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
                I don't like the fact that often, no one EVER goes to the toilet. Noone
                wakes up bursting to go . . etc etc etc . . they rarely do anything
                pertaining to personal hygiene at all. For me, part of the whole suspending
                disbelief thing is to include the normal, everyday things that make
                characters human. I mean you don't have to make a whole production of a
                character going to the bathroom or describe it in great detail . . just toss
                it in in a few word comment something along the lines of "Tom hailed Sam
                early that morning as Sam stumbled bleary eyed back from the outhouse. Tom
                had urgent news . . " Okay, bad writing, but you get the idea. Other peeves
                . . a lot of books leave out at least three of the five senses, especially
                smells . . I mean, basically, towns without a modern sewerage system stunk
                . . towns with modern sewerage systems still stink . . people stink when
                they've been galloping along the plains on a horse at a million miles an
                hour non stop for three weeks in the same clothes <grin> Horses stink . .
                but at least horse stink is a natural healthy stink . . .

                I better stop now or I'll never get to the library.

                Mere
                > Well um...I got one...ants...but well ..how often do you stumble
                > over ants in books.. in Bernard Werber's of course ( i luf his "ant books"
                > :D ).
                > but that's about it...
                >
                > Nörml
                >
                > PS: I never really noticed any "equine inaccuracies", but then I hardly
                > know anything about horses except they got 4 legs, a bushy tail and a
                > big head...oh I almost forgot...you can even ride on their backs as far as
                > know :P

              • Darcy
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2001
                  That's a really good point about the stench factor. Apparently even
                  castles and palaces weren't one of the nasal delights, either...(heh)

                  Do I have any druthers? I suppose so, though most of 'em have been said
                  and done already (namely the horse thing.... I once read a book where
                  the author had a horse sigh "out of its mouth." It knawed at my brain
                  for days afterward-- horses can only breathe out of their noses. But
                  that's just me being anal retentive, I suppose.)
                  Otherwise...I can't stand it when an author will have a character miss
                  something that should have been entirely obvious and then turn around
                  and spew some incredible theory on a hunch-- which of course turns out
                  to be right, because it's straight from the author's mouth. I wish
                  fantasy characters in general would think more for themselves and rely
                  on the author less-- in all situations....if you catch my drift.

                  --Darcy, probably incoherent as usual

                  --- In Flewelling@y..., "Maryrose Lockerbie" <mere@e...> wrote:
                  > I don't like the fact that often, no one EVER goes to the toilet. Noone
                  > wakes up bursting to go . . etc etc etc . . they rarely do anything
                  > pertaining to personal hygiene at all. For me, part of the whole suspendi=
                  ng
                  > disbelief thing is to include the normal, everyday things that make
                  > characters human. I mean you don't have to make a whole production of a
                  > character going to the bathroom or describe it in great detail . . just t=
                  oss
                  > it in in a few word comment something along the lines of "Tom hailed Sam
                  > early that morning as Sam stumbled bleary eyed back from the outhouse. To=
                  > had urgent news . . " Okay, bad writing, but you get the idea. Other peev=
                  es
                  > . . a lot of books leave out at least three of the five senses, especiall=
                  > smells . . I mean, basically, towns without a modern sewerage system stu=
                  nk
                  > . . towns with modern sewerage systems still stink . . people stink when
                  > they've been galloping along the plains on a horse at a million miles an
                  > hour non stop for three weeks in the same clothes <grin> Horses stink . .=

                  > but at least horse stink is a natural healthy stink . . .
                  >
                  > I better stop now or I'll never get to the library.
                  >
                  > Mere
                  > > Well um...I got one...ants...but well ..how often do you stumble
                  > > over ants in books.. in Bernard Werber's of course ( i luf his "ant boo=
                  ks"
                  > > :D ).
                  > > but that's about it...
                  > >
                  > > Nörml
                  > >
                  > > PS: I never really noticed any "equine inaccuracies", but then I hardly=

                  > > know anything about horses except they got 4 legs, a bushy tail and a
                  > > big head...oh I almost forgot...you can even ride on their backs as far=
                  as
                  > > know :P
                  > >

                  > > Post message: Flewelling@y...
                  > > Subscribe: Flewelling-subscribe@y...

                  s/

                • Rie Sheridan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2001
                    Ashland does
                    Repertory theatre, meaning several shows are in
                    production all at once...no way in hell would one
                    actress, however gifted, be able to perform on the
                    Elizabethian stage and the Bower theatre at the same
                    time!! :-)

                    Depends on how their rep works...as long as they weren't simultaneous
                    productions (meaning occurring at the same time instead of the same day) it
                    might theoretically be possible-not smart...but possible....

                    Rie
                    Senior Staff Editor (Fiction/Writing Dept.) Verge Communications, LLC:
                    http://www.vergemag.com
                    Contributor to DARK MATTER CHRONICLES:
                    http://www.eggplant-productions.com/darkmatter
                    Facilitator for Writers' University Class: Giving Constuctive Feedback

                    Visit my website: http://clik.to/rievisions
                  • Andrea Chavez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 7, 2001

                      > Depends on how their rep works...as long as they
                      > weren't simultaneous
                      > productions (meaning occurring at the same time
                      > instead of the same day) it
                      > might theoretically be possible-not smart...but
                      > possible....

                      Rie, you are correct - but the Ashland Rep is
                      simultaneous. I could kinda grant the author TWO
                      shows with huge leading parts, but THREE?? haww. Dick
                      Hayes would never let that slip! :-) While it might
                      be possible be a lead in two shows and schedule them
                      to miss each other (poor girl will be completely
                      exhausted) Three isn't likely.

                      Now, if they were doing stock....well, all's fair
                      there!

                      How is the writing going Rie? I'm working on a
                      mystery...almost ready to start writing...(I think)
                      :-)
                      My plot changes a little every day, but that's cool as
                      long as it makes sense in the end and I don't cheat
                      the reader, right Lynn??

                      Andrea

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 8, 2001
                        --- In Flewelling@y..., "Maryrose Lockerbie" <mere@e...> wrote:
                        > I don't like the fact that often, no one EVER goes to the toilet. Noone
                        > wakes up bursting to go . . etc etc etc . . they rarely do anything
                        > pertaining to personal hygiene at all. For me, part of the whole suspending
                        > disbelief thing is to include the normal, everyday things that make
                        > characters human.

                        I agree. I remember as a kid picking up a novel at my grandparents
                        house and reading for the first time about a character havin to "go."
                        It struck me then how unusual this was.