Re: [Flewelling] Book Prices (Update on UK edition of BONE DOLL)

  • Leafmirror@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 11:09 AM
      In a message dated 2/5/01 1:58:07 PM, HBrown9628@... writes:

      >Re the other question on libraries. Ours in the UK are quite good. I used
      >use the one in a large neighbouring village to ours, and it was quite large
      and had an excellent selection of Sci-Fi books. Actually that library was
      >the sole reason I became addicted. It was there I found a copy of Robert
      >Heinlein's Starman Jones in the teenage section a long time ago when I
      >was
      >about 11, or so, and got hooked, and moved onto the adult section to get
      >my
      >fix. The only problem was that they didn't divide fiction into categories
      >so
      >all the Sci-Fi and fantasy was lumped in with everything else. So the only
      >
      >solution was to start with A and work my way through to Z. Which I did,
      >
      >ending with Zelazny <g>.

      *G* Boy, that sounds familiar. Did you ever read Bradbury's wonderful book
      "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The way he describes libraries as
      shadowy, mysterious places bursting with magic and "the Arabian spice" scent
      of old paper, filled with books that could tranport you anywhere-- it still
      gives me shivers because that's just how I always felt. As a kid, I spent
      hours at the Presque Isle library. It was quite large by Maine standards,
      with two floors and a mezzanine. I remember standing there, looking at that
      great ocean of books and feeling like Ali Baba in the thieves' treasure cave.
      There was a mean old lady librarian in charge of the upstairs adult section
      who was the Scylla and Charybdis I had to pass with my special card. I was
      an advanced reader and was ready for the adult level long before she was
      ready for me. ;-) To me, any good library has a feeling of-- abundance!

      > I'll make sure someone goes in and requests Bone Doll <g>.
      >
      >Helen
      Thank you!
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6 1:37 AM
        In a message dated 2/5/01 7:13:33 PM GMT Standard Time, Leafmirror@...
        writes:

        > >solution was to start with A and work my way through to Z. Which I did,
        > >
        > >ending with Zelazny <g>.
        >
        > *G* Boy, that sounds familiar. Did you ever read Bradbury's wonderful
        book

        > "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The way he describes libraries as
        > shadowy, mysterious places bursting with magic and "the Arabian spice"
        scent

        > of old paper, filled with books that could tranport you anywhere-- it
        still
        > gives me shivers because that's just how I always felt.

        Oh yes... any excuse I could get I was there in that library. I even used to
        deliberately miss the school bus home so I could go to my nan's instead, who
        lived not far from the library, then I could get in an extra hour after
        school then get Grandad to run me home.

        It was wonderful, I remember starting with the A's, Aldiss and Asimov, then
        the B's, Bradbury, Bova, then Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick etc, and they
        all managed to think up such wonderful titles for the stories <g>, then I
        developed a real fondness for the Spectrum anthologies of short stories. They
        had bright yellow covers, and always seemed to have one of James White's
        wonderful Sector General stories in them. For some reason I remember the
        Winter evenings best, walking back up the hill from the library clutching my
        books, and it would be twilight, and slightly foggy. The first book I read
        'Starman Jones', I used to re-read that over and over again, I'd keep it out
        for weeks at a time. There's a copy on the shelf facing me now, and I'll
        still occasionally get it out and re-read it, and get magically transported
        back to my nan's. Sitting curled up reading by the fire, having our cheese
        sandwichs and mugs of cocoa for supper...

        Alas although I developed the collecting bug, I've never developed the
        slightest urge to part with any of my babies, valuable or not <g>.

        There's a small UK publisher btw which is putting out editions of some of the
        long out of print Sci-Fi classics, and not a day too soon.