Re: [Flewelling] Book Prices (Update on UK edition of BONE DOLL)

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
      In a message dated 2/5/01 1:36:04 AM GMT Standard Time, cloak@...
      writes:

      > Yikes!
      >
      > Are they selling a special gold-edged copy of the Sorcerer's stone
      > there? Here in the U.S. it's $75, I don't even think they would bother
      > stocking it at the price you'd have to pay.

      Prices are a bit more reasonable in the UK, though paperback prices keep
      going up and up. However I've just seen the price for the new leather bound
      edition of 'The History of Middle Earth', a hundred pounds just for volume 1
      !! Suffice to say, that Tolkein collector or not, I've got one set of his
      son's collected notes on the books, and I'm not mad enough to fork out that
      much for another.

      I've just been reading an article on really rare Sci-Fi and fantasy books...
      I collect first editions and stuff, but sadly with unerring accuracy always
      the wrong ones <g>, now why didn't I buy the first Harry Potters, I'd have
      been sunning myself on that beach now <g>. Anyway if anyone has the asbestos
      bound copy of Fahrenheit 451, <g>, it's worth quite a lot. But do wear
      breathing equipment before trying to read it...

      And there was a lovely story about the limited special first editions of a
      couple of Stephen King novels, Dolores Claibourne, and the one I can never
      remember. Only it was discovered afterwards that the real first editions
      were actually cheap book club versions put out in the UK <bg>.

      Helen
    • Leafmirror@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
        In a message dated 2/5/01 6:06:18 AM, HBrown9628@... writes:

        >I've just been reading an article on really rare Sci-Fi and fantasy books...
        >
        >I collect first editions and stuff,

        You must hate this new trend of bringing so many new author's books out only
        in Trade Paper or Paperback.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
          In a message dated 2/5/01 1:53:47 PM GMT Standard Time, Leafmirror@...
          writes:

          > >I've just been reading an article on really rare Sci-Fi and fantasy
          books...

          > >I collect first editions and stuff,
          >
          > You must hate this new trend of bringing so many new author's books out
          only

          > in Trade Paper or Paperback.

          Well it's not quite the same <g>. I love my little collection, dustcovers
          that keep dropping off and all <g>. I suppose the paperback trend is purely a
          question of economics, and if they fall apart from being read too much ;-),
          we go out and buy more...

          Mind you even the hardback editions economise on paper and stuff now. They
          soon go all yellow. When I can afford it I love buying Folio Society
          editions of books, just for the pleasure of handling them.

          Re the other question on libraries. Ours in the UK are quite good. I used to
          use the one in a large neighbouring village to ours, and it was quite large
          and had an excellent selection of Sci-Fi books. Actually that library was the
          sole reason I became addicted. It was there I found a copy of Robert
          Heinlein's Starman Jones in the teenage section a long time ago when I was
          about 11, or so, and got hooked, and moved onto the adult section to get my
          fix. The only problem was that they didn't divide fiction into categories so
          all the Sci-Fi and fantasy was lumped in with everything else. So the only
          solution was to start with A and work my way through to Z. Which I did,
          ending with Zelazny <g>.

          If we want a book that isn't stocked by any of the other branch libraries for
          that area, they have to place the book on order. Libraries have suffered a
          little with restrictions on local government spending, but things are not too
          bad. I'll make sure someone goes in and requests Bone Doll <g>.

          Helen
        • Leafmirror@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2001
            In a message dated 2/5/01 1:58:07 PM, HBrown9628@... writes:

            >Re the other question on libraries. Ours in the UK are quite good. I used
            >use the one in a large neighbouring village to ours, and it was quite large
            and had an excellent selection of Sci-Fi books. Actually that library was
            >the sole reason I became addicted. It was there I found a copy of Robert
            >Heinlein's Starman Jones in the teenage section a long time ago when I
            >was
            >about 11, or so, and got hooked, and moved onto the adult section to get
            >my
            >fix. The only problem was that they didn't divide fiction into categories
            >so
            >all the Sci-Fi and fantasy was lumped in with everything else. So the only
            >
            >solution was to start with A and work my way through to Z. Which I did,
            >
            >ending with Zelazny <g>.

            *G* Boy, that sounds familiar. Did you ever read Bradbury's wonderful book
            "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The way he describes libraries as
            shadowy, mysterious places bursting with magic and "the Arabian spice" scent
            of old paper, filled with books that could tranport you anywhere-- it still
            gives me shivers because that's just how I always felt. As a kid, I spent
            hours at the Presque Isle library. It was quite large by Maine standards,
            with two floors and a mezzanine. I remember standing there, looking at that
            great ocean of books and feeling like Ali Baba in the thieves' treasure cave.
            There was a mean old lady librarian in charge of the upstairs adult section
            who was the Scylla and Charybdis I had to pass with my special card. I was
            an advanced reader and was ready for the adult level long before she was
            ready for me. ;-) To me, any good library has a feeling of-- abundance!

            > I'll make sure someone goes in and requests Bone Doll <g>.
            >
            >Helen
            Thank you!
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2001
              In a message dated 2/5/01 7:13:33 PM GMT Standard Time, Leafmirror@...
              writes:

              > >solution was to start with A and work my way through to Z. Which I did,
              > >
              > >ending with Zelazny <g>.
              >
              > *G* Boy, that sounds familiar. Did you ever read Bradbury's wonderful
              book

              > "Something Wicked This Way Comes". The way he describes libraries as
              > shadowy, mysterious places bursting with magic and "the Arabian spice"
              scent

              > of old paper, filled with books that could tranport you anywhere-- it
              still
              > gives me shivers because that's just how I always felt.

              Oh yes... any excuse I could get I was there in that library. I even used to
              deliberately miss the school bus home so I could go to my nan's instead, who
              lived not far from the library, then I could get in an extra hour after
              school then get Grandad to run me home.

              It was wonderful, I remember starting with the A's, Aldiss and Asimov, then
              the B's, Bradbury, Bova, then Arthur C. Clarke, Philip K. Dick etc, and they
              all managed to think up such wonderful titles for the stories <g>, then I
              developed a real fondness for the Spectrum anthologies of short stories. They
              had bright yellow covers, and always seemed to have one of James White's
              wonderful Sector General stories in them. For some reason I remember the
              Winter evenings best, walking back up the hill from the library clutching my
              books, and it would be twilight, and slightly foggy. The first book I read
              'Starman Jones', I used to re-read that over and over again, I'd keep it out
              for weeks at a time. There's a copy on the shelf facing me now, and I'll
              still occasionally get it out and re-read it, and get magically transported
              back to my nan's. Sitting curled up reading by the fire, having our cheese
              sandwichs and mugs of cocoa for supper...

              Alas although I developed the collecting bug, I've never developed the
              slightest urge to part with any of my babies, valuable or not <g>.

              There's a small UK publisher btw which is putting out editions of some of the
              long out of print Sci-Fi classics, and not a day too soon.