Update on UK edition of BONE DOLL

  • Leafmirror@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
      I've just learned from my UK editor that BONE DOLL will be published in
      trade paperback format by Harper CollinsUK and released in JULY, 2001,
      3 months ahead of Bantam's US mmpb edition. It is also being released
      by Harper Collins Australia.

      Advanced orders apparently can already be placed with Amazon.co.UK,
      though they are still listing it as hardcover.

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
        In a message dated 2/1/01 3:51:59 PM GMT Standard Time, Leafmirror@...
        writes:

        > I've just learned from my UK editor that BONE DOLL will be published in
        > trade paperback format by Harper CollinsUK and released in JULY, 2001,
        > 3 months ahead of Bantam's US mmpb edition. It is also being released
        > by Harper Collins Australia.
        >
        > Advanced orders apparently can already be placed with Amazon.co.UK,
        > though they are still listing it as hardcover.
        >
        > Lynn

        Oh well there's goes my New Year's Resolution not to order a thing for the
        next two months <bg>... off to Amazon as we speak .... Can't believe it,
        we're getting it three months before the US edition!!!

        a very happy Helen
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
          Did it!!! Ordered my copy.

          Couldn't help but notice they're also taking pre-orders for the next book
          ;-). Blimey.

          Helen
        • mariannh@online.no
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
            Leafmirror@a...
            > writes:
            >
            > > I've just learned from my UK editor that BONE DOLL will be
            published in
            > > trade paperback format by Harper CollinsUK and released in JULY,
            2001,
            > > 3 months ahead of Bantam's US mmpb edition.

            yes! a very happy mariann, as well!

            It is also being
            released
            > > by Harper Collins Australia.
            > >
            > > Advanced orders apparently can already be placed with
            Amazon.co.UK,
            > > though they are still listing it as hardcover.
            > >
            > > Lynn
            > >

            > Oh well there's goes my New Year's Resolution not to order a thing
            for the
            > next two months <bg>... off to Amazon as we speak .... Can't
            believe it,
            > we're getting it three months before the US edition!!!
            >
            > a very happy Helen
          • Norman Schwarze
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
              > I've just learned from my UK editor that BONE DOLL will be published in
              > trade paperback format by Harper CollinsUK and released in JULY, 2001,
              > 3 months ahead of Bantam's US mmpb edition

              Now that is good news. I live in Germany but i should be possible to get it
              easily
              even if it's not published here in Germnay in July. *hope,hope*

              Nörml
              who is allready waiting
              for July to come :-)
            • Clyde Gillanders
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2001
                Fantastic. My favourite book store will have it. (a lesbian and gay guy run
                it and lots of the employees are gay). They also have a lot of fantasy
                fiction. I can order it now. I ordered King Kelson's Bride and Mark
                Anthony's The Dark Remains yesterday. That will give me time to pay them off
                (with a new tax over here the 2 books will be $85.00 Australian. The exchage
                rate is about 55 cents Australian to $1.00 American.) ps it is so lovely to
                be able to read of others lives all over the world.

                Clyde

                Leafmirror@...

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                  In a message dated 2/2/01 5:22:04 AM, clydeofross@... writes:

                  >That will give me time to pay them off
                  >(with a new tax over here the 2 books will be $85.00 Australian. The exchage
                  >
                  >rate is about 55 cents Australian to $1.00 American.)

                  I'm always amazed, or rather, horrified, at the price of books over there!
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                    In a message dated 2/2/01 11:11:46 AM GMT Standard Time, HBrown9628@...
                    writes:

                    > Did it!!! Ordered my copy.
                    >
                    > Couldn't help but notice they're also taking pre-orders for the next book
                    > ;-). Blimey.
                    >
                    > Helen

                    I'm not really talking to myself <g>, merely whinging that this email which
                    justt turned up in my inbox I sent a couple of minutes after I sent the other
                    one yesterday, so either Yahoo, or Aol is playing up. Probably both with my
                    luck <g>.

                    Helen
                  • Leafmirror@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                      In a message dated 2/2/01 6:11:26 AM, HBrown9628@... writes:

                      >Couldn't help but notice they're also taking pre-orders for the next book
                      >
                      >;-). Blimey.

                      *blink* What other book? I don't even have a title for it yet.

                      BTW, just heard from my editor yesterday that the title may need to be
                      changed for various acane publishing reasons. Grrrrr!

                      Lynn
                    • KAdam10561@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                        <<(with a new tax over here the 2 books will be $85.00 Australian. The exchage
                        rate is about 55 cents Australian to $1.00 American.)

                        Can't you order them from the US and pay the exchange rate? I don't understand why your books are so expensive. If I did my math correctly, you are paying about $20.00 a book? Ouch.
                      • Jeff Johnson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 2, 2001
                          Lynn's books, of course, are worth every penny and more. For other books,
                          will there be a customs impact if you order from the U.S. ? I know that I
                          recently sent about 20 shirts over to a portion of my project team working
                          in Germany - not for sale, but as gifts to the team - and the shirts are
                          still tied up in customs.......

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 4, 2001
                            On 2 Feb 2001, at 8:11, Clyde Gillanders wrote:

                            > Fantastic. My favourite book store will have it. (a lesbian and gay
                            > guy run it and lots of the employees are gay). They also have a lot of
                            > fantasy fiction. I can order it now. I ordered King Kelson's Bride and
                            > Mark Anthony's The Dark Remains yesterday. That will give me time to
                            > pay them off (with a new tax over here the 2 books will be $85.00
                            > Australian. The exchage rate is about 55 cents Australian to $1.00
                            > American.) ps it is so lovely to be able to read of others lives all
                            > over the world.

                            Yikes!

                            Are they selling a special gold-edged copy of the Sorcerer's stone
                            there? Here in the U.S. it's $75, I don't even think they would bother
                            stocking it at the price you'd have to pay.

                            Stephen Morse
                            ICQ # 67478942
                            AIM knightcloak2k
                            "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known."
                            --Walt Disney
                          • Clyde *
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 4, 2001
                              >Yikes!
                              >
                              >Are they selling a special gold-edged copy of the Sorcerer's stone
                              >there? Here in the U.S. it's $75, I don't even think they would bother
                              >stocking it at the price you'd have to pay.
                              >

                              >Stephen Morse
                              >ICQ # 67478942
                              >AIM knightcloak2k
                              >"I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known."
                              >--Walt Disney

                              No, I haven't seen one. The new taxes only came in last year. Most paper
                              backs went up two to three dollars as the were tax exempt or something
                              before. Hard backs went up much more. I am a bit more careful about buying
                              these days. I can't afford to buy too many books that I get part way through
                              and find thaey are not for me. Pity, as I found many great books just by
                              picking them up and hoping. I bought the first 2 of Lynn's just on speck(
                              they were recommended on a gay fiction site). 24 hours later I bought the
                              third. There have been a lot of not so good ones though. Clyde

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 4, 2001
                                > No, I haven't seen one. The new taxes only came in last year. Most
                                > paper
                                > backs went up two to three dollars as the were tax exempt or something
                                >
                                > before. Hard backs went up much more. I am a bit more careful about
                                > buying
                                > these days. I can't afford to buy too many books that I get part way
                                > through
                                > and find thaey are not for me. Pity, as I found many great books just
                                > by
                                > picking them up and hoping. I bought the first 2 of Lynn's just on
                                > speck(
                                > they were recommended on a gay fiction site). 24 hours later I bought
                                > the
                                > third. There have been a lot of not so good ones though. Clyde

                                Being a poor college student...Me and several friends tend to just
                                reccomend stuff to each other from our own collections..we're still new
                                enough friends that we'll keep each other busy for years just trading
                                books around!

                                Libraries are a good resource if you have one nearby. The nearby
                                library here has not too many books but it has a few from my collection
                                that I am making a friend read.

                                Make friends..trade books..I mean if you read a book and really like it
                                yeah buy your own copy...*watches friend counting money to buy her own
                                copies of the nightrunner books* ^^;;;;;

                                --
                                FireDreamer
                                AOL Instant Message: firedreamer01

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                  In a message dated 2/4/01 11:08:01 PM, clydeofross@... writes:

                                  >No, I haven't seen one. The new taxes only came in last year. Most paper
                                  >
                                  >backs went up two to three dollars as the were tax exempt or something
                                  >
                                  >before. Hard backs went up much more. I am a bit more careful about buying
                                  >
                                  >these days. I can't afford to buy too many books that I get part way through
                                  >
                                  >and find thaey are not for me.

                                  What's the library situation down there? I often get a book from the library
                                  first to cull out the duds. The American public library system is something
                                  I've always taken for granted. What's it like in other parts of the world?

                                  Lynn
                                • Norman Schwarze
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                    What's the library situation down there? I often get a book from the
                                    library
                                    > first to cull out the duds. The American public library system is
                                    something
                                    > I've always taken for granted. What's it like in other parts of the world?

                                    Fantasy books in German libraries??? huh? I think they don't even
                                    know that something besides Goethe, Schiller, Fontane and Thomas Mann
                                    exists. *G*
                                    The only ones you sometimes stumble over are MZB's books...but you have
                                    to be very lucky then.
                                    *****bigsigh*****

                                    Nörml
                                  • Leafmirror@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                      In a message dated 2/5/01 9:54:08 AM, noerml@... writes:

                                      >Fantasy books in German libraries??? huh? I think they don't even
                                      >
                                      >know that something besides Goethe, Schiller, Fontane and Thomas Mann
                                      >
                                      >exists. *G*
                                      >
                                      >The only ones you sometimes stumble over are MZB's books...but you have
                                      >
                                      >to be very lucky then.
                                      >
                                      >*****bigsigh*****

                                      Ah, then they don't base their collection on what the patrons' request?
                                      That's part of how American libraries choose new books.
                                    • Norman Schwarze
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                        > Ah, then they don't base their collection on what the patrons' request?
                                        > That's part of how American libraries choose new books.

                                        Well they do actually....that's the problem...fantasy is regarded as the
                                        scum of literature here in Germany. Well at least the majority of the
                                        readers think so.
                                        So hardly anyone is asking for Fantasy/Sci-Fi and therefore they don't
                                        add those books to their collection.
                                        ***bigsighagain***

                                        Nörml

                                        PS: But guess what...I could convince the librarian of our library to get
                                        your 2
                                        (TM was not yet avaiable in German back then ) books. It was a long way to
                                        go
                                        but I guess I started to get anoying and that finally caused him to order it
                                        *grin*
                                        Now you r standing next to MZB and Stephen King....and...and...um...: -)
                                        well there r no other Sci-Fi or Fantasy authors there...;
                                        ***anotherbigsigh***
                                      • Leafmirror@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                          In a message dated 2/5/01 11:40:28 AM, noerml@... writes:

                                          >> Ah, then they don't base their collection on what the patrons' request?
                                          >
                                          >> That's part of how American libraries choose new books.

                                          >Well they do actually....that's the problem...fantasy is regarded as the
                                          scum of literature here in Germany.

                                          Ouch!

                                          >PS: But guess what...I could convince the librarian of our library to get
                                          your 2 (TM was not yet avaiable in German back then ) books. It was a long way
                                          >to go but I guess I started to get anoying and that finally caused him to
                                          order
                                          >it
                                          >Now you r standing next to MZB and Stephen King

                                          You angel! Thank you!

                                          Lynn :-)
                                        • Emmie D.
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001
                                            >Are they selling a special gold-edged copy of the Sorcerer's stone
                                            >there? Here in the U.S. it's $75

                                            I saw that about a month back; i work at Borders Books, and somebody
                                            actually bought one. All leather bound and gold leaf and such.... however,
                                            the price was much more reasonable, because we had it at 75% off, which
                                            brought it down to about $18. I thought that was pretty funny.

                                            emilie
                                          • Clyde *
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 5, 2001

                                              >What's the library situation down there? I often get a book from the
                                              >library
                                              >first to cull out the duds. The American public library system is
                                              >something
                                              >I've always taken for granted. What's it like in other parts of the world?
                                              >
                                              >Lynn

                                              Its very good here. Canberra has 250,000 people but we have our own library
                                              service. 5 or 6 libraries. Mum used to work there. Many years ago she began
                                              taking my fantasy books into the library and lending them as they didn't
                                              have many. They became so popular that now the libraries budget a lot on
                                              fantasy. She started off with Mcaffrey and MZB. I also have a series based
                                              on welsh fairy tales (one is called The Black Cauldron - I forget who wrote
                                              them). They are childrens books but I love them. They were very popular too.
                                              It was mainly younger people she lent them to. People that were coming in
                                              and not finding anything they liked. Many of them became avid readers,
                                              especially fantasy.

                                            • Tamara Myers
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 6, 2001
                                                >The Black Cauldron - I forget who wrote
                                                them

                                                Lloyd Alexander--and they're a particular favorite of
                                                mine, too, though it was his 'Westmark' that really
                                                caught my fancy.

                                                =====
                                                In the seldom rain of Arizona
                                                the desert has made peace with God.