Map & The Still

  • Wendy Dow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
      I want a map. I'm in the UK. Nice exchange rate at the moment. So can I ask
      advice. How do you go about transfering pounds into dollars to send. I
      could do a cheque in pounds, but then there would be a million and one
      charges at the other end. I can use my credit card!

      I hated the Still. I love Feintuch's Seafort series - in which his son is
      gay, btw. But the Still just left me absolutely cold. The main character
      had no compassion, no feelings, and wasn't balanced out - he was just
      annoying and cruel. All the other characters were either the same or just
      not well developed.

      Wendy x

      ------------
      Wendy Dow
      u01wmd@...
    • Tamara Myers
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
        --- Wendy Dow <u01wmd@...> wrote:
        > I want a map. I'm in the UK. Nice exchange rate at
        > the moment. So can I ask
        > advice. How do you go about transfering pounds into
        > dollars to send. I
        > could do a cheque in pounds, but then there would be
        > a million and one
        > charges at the other end. I can use my credit card!

        Actually, your bank might be able to do a bank draft
        for a particular amount for you. Don't know how much
        trouble it is over there, but when I was sending money
        to Ireland, my bank drafted everything into punts :)
        The best part--no fee! And I got *that day's*
        exachange rate. It was also good to know exactly how
        much money was taken out of my account.

        Hope this helps!

        Tamara

        > u01wmd@...

        =====
        In the seldom rain of Arizona
        the desert has made peace with God.
        It understands, in a way we often can't
        water is a gift, a flowing prayer
        returned as quickly
        in the few thick moments after dawn
        as it first fell.

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • KAdam10561@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
          When I was traveling abroad, I was told to use credit cards as they get the
          best exchange rate because it goes bank to bank without a middleman.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2001
            In a message dated 1/5/01 2:47:07 PM GMT Standard Time, ldysowan@...
            writes:

            > - Wendy Dow <u01wmd@...> wrote:
            > > I want a map. I'm in the UK. Nice exchange rate at
            > > the moment. So can I ask
            > > advice. How do you go about transfering pounds into
            > > dollars to send. I
            > > could do a cheque in pounds, but then there would be
            > > a million and one
            > > charges at the other end. I can use my credit card!

            You know something is eating my email again, sigh, I didn't get your original
            post, but I got the reply to it. Ah well, changing money into dollars is
            something I've done a lot of in the past. Until I discovered the magic of net
            shopping.

            Acquiring dollars in cash is the cheapest option, my bank charges around a
            fiver for this, then you either run the risk of sending it over in the post,
            and registering it, but the PO doesn't allow registered letters to the US,
            just recorded I think to make life even more fun. But being positive I've
            never lost any cash I've sent over yet, I usually sandwich it inbetween some
            card or something to disguise it.

            Bank drafts are a little dearer, or they used to be. The other option is to
            order the dollars via your credit card, mine delivers them to the house.
            You've still got to pay the charges, though I think they're a bit less than
            the normal bank charges, and take the risk of posting it though.

            The exchange rate, weep. I know, I remember the heady days when it was 2.25
            dollars to the pound, now it's around 1.40.

            I'm busy trying to talk various members of my family into coughing up the
            money and buying me the map as a birthday pressie <g>. It hasn't quite
            worked yet, but there's still hope.

            Helen
          • Jill Arbanas
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
              KAdam10561@a... wrote:

              > When I was traveling abroad, I was told to use credit cards

              Be very careful if you're considering this. Sometime in 2000, mine
              added a service fee for all currency conversions. You might want to
              check with you credit card company first.

              Jill
            • KAdam10561@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2001
                Thanks, I'll double check.