Re: [Flewelling] Finished Casket of Souls

  • Iñaki Izarra
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
      SPOILERS

      So, I just finished CoS and I wanted to share my opinion about it. The book
      is great, well-written, and a very interesting plot. I think we most
      enjoyed the return to Rhiminee, but that excitement would not be the same
      if they haven't spent the previous 3 books out of the city. So, for me the
      series is just right and I really love books 4 and 5.

      Regarding CoS, I think the plot is very well developed and gets you hooked
      very easily. The only thing I found a bit abrupt is when the plot regarding
      "The Sleeping Death" takes over the plot of the cabals' fight. It was clear
      that it was going to happen and had to, actually, but I missed a bit more
      development on the cabals and would have liked Seregil and Alec making a
      bit more of progress in that. Otherwise, it's brilliant, once "The Sleeping
      Death" is a complete priority, I enjoyed it a lot, reading as much as I
      could. Atre's character is absolutely wonderful and I think that whole idea
      about the soul eating is brilliant.

      As other people have mentioned, the balance between the characters is good
      and we have been able to enjoy a bit of everyone. On the other side, there
      has been a bit less on Seregil and Alec, and specially on the inner
      character of Seregil, but that can't be helped, there is no room for
      everything. Only that Seregil is my fav since the very beginning and I
      don't get tired on anything about his persona.

      On overall, it's a wonderful book and really enjoyed reading it. Thanks a
      lot!!!

    • Shiva
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
        Hello Lynn & dear co-readers :D

        I just finished Cos yesterday and must say I like it very much. I
        suffered, having the book lying here since the date of the publishing
        and not being able to read it. Unfortunately I had to read 2 other books
        first (for work, d'oh) but now I ate it up in a few days.

        A longer Feedback comes afterwards, first I'd like to show you two
        pictures I drew for another fan of the nightrunner series while looking
        forward to CoS. :D
        I like ACEOs a lot, little trading cards with selfmade art on it. The
        format of the originals is 2,5'' * 3.5''.
        http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/shivas_bilders/118-Hornsofcrytalbeneathhornsofstone.jpg
        http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/shivas_bilders/126-DragonBites.jpg
        I hope you like them. :D

        Now to CoS *__*
        --------------------

        I really enjoyed the book, especially the life of Alec and Seregil in
        Rhiminee. I had the feeling of getting a better peek into their daily
        life and I liked that very much. However, I was missing Alec a bit and
        had the feeling it was quite Seregil-centered. Don't get me wrong, I
        like Seregil a lot and he is my favorite. But I had the feeling that the
        POV-balance was better in the other books before. Maybe it's just my
        impression and it will change when I re-read it. Sometimes Seregil acted
        a bit too much like the "master" and Alec seemed like his apprentice and
        was amused when they had an argument just about that topic. I guess
        Seregil has learned a bit more to trust his lover.

        Regarding Atre: I hated him from the first moment on, I was suspicious
        about him. He was too vain and self-centered, taking gifts all too
        willingly. And that is good, it makes him a perfect antagonist. He is
        brilliant in his way and in what he does, which is even better. Best is,
        that he does not show any regret or pity for his victims. Brader is like
        his good conscience but didn't stand a chance against Atre's sparkling
        power. Hehe.
        I only wished for him a more dramatic ending, worthy of his perverted
        perfection in life, but that would have been quite unrealistic. I liked
        that Micum had the honor. That solution was very credible and humanic
        just like the unspectacular death of my beloved Vargul...

        Regarding the Royals: I was surprised that I came to like Elani so much.
        Being trained by Phoria to become Queen someday, I expected her to be a
        bit more like her eldest aunt. But she is kind-hearted and sweet-
        Phoria died a good death worthy of her in battle. In the end, maybe her
        hard decision to beat Plenimar up till the end was a wise one, Plenimar
        would have never resigned unless in a crushing battle. Phoria was a
        Queen of war and now goes the reign to Elani, who will do a great job in
        more peaceful times.
        So I hope at least. I'm just sorry for her and Danos.

        The rivaling cabals and their members were partly hard for me to follow,
        due to my bad memory for names. At first, I mixed up Malthus and
        Reltheus and their goals but in the end I got it right. Next time I do a
        mind-map like I did with the Aurenfaie clans. XD

        Hah, the ending was so nice and left me with a warm and fluffy feeling
        and am looking forward to re-reading it.

        Yours

        Sabine
      • Lynn Flewelling
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
          I love the artwork! So glad you enjoyed the book. :-)

        • Lynn Flewelling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
            Thank you! :-)