Finished Casket of Souls

  • Nicky
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
      Wow, I just finished Casket of Souls!

      ********Some Spoilers below!***********

      I didn't want to rush through and read it all in a days time so I took my time and read when I could in my spare time. All I can say is WOW. Towards the end I ended up reading a LOT more at a time and it became increasingly more difficult to put the book down.

      Well done Lynn! I was totally engrossed in the plot and the new characters were positively charming. Especially Atre! :) His persona leapt from the page and made me want to know more and read more about him just as he enchanted the other characters in the book.

      I also thought that this book had a good balance of all the characters in their roles. I know some reviews before stated that they wanted to hear more about Beka and Nyal, or Micum, Thero, etc. I think there was a wonderful balance between them all and it wasn't boring. I would usually skip through chapters in some of the previous books with certain characters I wasn't as entertained with. Not with this one. I wanted to know just as much about them as Seregil and Alec.

      I loved the plot. It was unlike any other book I have read which is a refreshing thing to a reader. It wasn't what I was expecting either from the previous snippets that I had read before the book had been released. So that was another surprise.

      In the end the only thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that Seregil didn't get to have a wonderfully detailed fight scene with Atre! I was yelling for Seregil the whole time, and was a little sad that he ended up fighting Brader instead. Though I realized that perhaps Atre may not be as adept a swordsman? So perhaps that was the reason. Either way I feel like they would have been quite a match for each other seeing as they are quite similar in certain aspects. I guess I just wanted to envision two handsomely charming characters with such talent and quickness trying to outsmart one another. Ah well...I digress!

      I was also very touched by the emotions Alec had for all of the children. I even teared up when Illia caught the sickness. I really wasn't expecting that!

      All in all a wonderful book to read. Very close style wise to the first two Nightrunner books. Brought back many memories, and I can't wait to read the final (sad day :*( ) one!
      Thanks again Lynn!
      Nicky

    • Lynn Flewelling
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
        Thank you so much! I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it so much!

        Lynn

        On Jun 7, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Nicky <ckfreakz@...> wrote:

        > Wow, I just finished Casket of Souls!
        >
        > ********Some Spoilers below!***********
        >
        > I didn't want to rush through and read it all in a days time so I took my time and read when I could in my spare time. All I can say is WOW. Towards the end I ended up reading a LOT more at a time and it became increasingly more difficult to put the book down.
        >
        > Well done Lynn! I was totally engrossed in the plot and the new characters were positively charming. Especially Atre! :) His persona leapt from the page and made me want to know more and read more about him just as he enchanted the other characters in the book.
        >
        > I also thought that this book had a good balance of all the characters in their roles. I know some reviews before stated that they wanted to hear more about Beka and Nyal, or Micum, Thero, etc. I think there was a wonderful balance between them all and it wasn't boring. I would usually skip through chapters in some of the previous books with certain characters I wasn't as entertained with. Not with this one. I wanted to know just as much about them as Seregil and Alec.
        >
        > I loved the plot. It was unlike any other book I have read which is a refreshing thing to a reader. It wasn't what I was expecting either from the previous snippets that I had read before the book had been released. So that was another surprise.
        >
        > In the end the only thing I was somewhat disappointed in was that Seregil didn't get to have a wonderfully detailed fight scene with Atre! I was yelling for Seregil the whole time, and was a little sad that he ended up fighting Brader instead. Though I realized that perhaps Atre may not be as adept a swordsman? So perhaps that was the reason. Either way I feel like they would have been quite a match for each other seeing as they are quite similar in certain aspects. I guess I just wanted to envision two handsomely charming characters with such talent and quickness trying to outsmart one another. Ah well...I digress!
        >
        > I was also very touched by the emotions Alec had for all of the children. I even teared up when Illia caught the sickness. I really wasn't expecting that!
        >
        > All in all a wonderful book to read. Very close style wise to the first two Nightrunner books. Brought back many memories, and I can't wait to read the final (sad day :*( ) one!
        > Thanks again Lynn!
        > Nicky

      • Alexandra
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
          *nods energetically* It was a GREAT read.
          Me... I read it all in one sit. Well there were some unavoidable stops,
          some things just need to be done... But appart from those, I started and
          just kept on reading. It's my favourite way to read books, with as little
          interruption as possible. This of course means, that you mostly retain the
          key points of the plot but not so much the small details. Which is great
          because after some months I can read it again and catch on new things. But
          it also means I can´t give a detailed review/opinion,

          I liked books 4 and 5 but I like better this one. I just turned page after
          page after page... until there was no more and I was all sad because I
          wanted more. I was happy to see Seregil and Alec back in their double city
          life, bad circumstances, but still not AS bad as previous books. Poor guys
          I love them too much to not wish them some better times!

          Oh, BTW BULLY for Amazon Spain. A) No preorder B) Kindle edition not
          available for europe Amazons. I COULD have worked around it but I will NOT
          complicate my life to spend money on people who clearly doesn´t wants it.
          So my congratulations and thanks to them for saving me some money. But it
          also means one sale less for Lynn, and that's just unfair (this subject
          came up before, so probably it's not just only one sale).

          Anyway, what I really want to say.

          THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for another great book Lynn!
          I really can´t say how much I appreciate the hours of nice entertainment.
          With the world going downhill in all possible ways (and my country being
          one of the worse). A nice fat break from reality is more welcome than I
          could ever explain. SO, once again, THANK YOU!

          --
          Alexandra.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
            Thank you, Alexandra! Sorry it was so hard for you to get a copy.

            Best,

            Lynn

          • Iñaki Izarra
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
              SPOILERS

              SPOILERS

              So, I just finished CoS and I wanted to share my opinion about it. The book
              is great, well-written, and a very interesting plot. I think we most
              enjoyed the return to Rhiminee, but that excitement would not be the same
              if they haven't spent the previous 3 books out of the city. So, for me the
              series is just right and I really love books 4 and 5.

              Regarding CoS, I think the plot is very well developed and gets you hooked
              very easily. The only thing I found a bit abrupt is when the plot regarding
              "The Sleeping Death" takes over the plot of the cabals' fight. It was clear
              that it was going to happen and had to, actually, but I missed a bit more
              development on the cabals and would have liked Seregil and Alec making a
              bit more of progress in that. Otherwise, it's brilliant, once "The Sleeping
              Death" is a complete priority, I enjoyed it a lot, reading as much as I
              could. Atre's character is absolutely wonderful and I think that whole idea
              about the soul eating is brilliant.

              As other people have mentioned, the balance between the characters is good
              and we have been able to enjoy a bit of everyone. On the other side, there
              has been a bit less on Seregil and Alec, and specially on the inner
              character of Seregil, but that can't be helped, there is no room for
              everything. Only that Seregil is my fav since the very beginning and I
              don't get tired on anything about his persona.

              On overall, it's a wonderful book and really enjoyed reading it. Thanks a
              lot!!!

            • Shiva
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
                Hello Lynn & dear co-readers :D

                I just finished Cos yesterday and must say I like it very much. I
                suffered, having the book lying here since the date of the publishing
                and not being able to read it. Unfortunately I had to read 2 other books
                first (for work, d'oh) but now I ate it up in a few days.

                A longer Feedback comes afterwards, first I'd like to show you two
                pictures I drew for another fan of the nightrunner series while looking
                forward to CoS. :D
                I like ACEOs a lot, little trading cards with selfmade art on it. The
                format of the originals is 2,5'' * 3.5''.
                http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/shivas_bilders/118-Hornsofcrytalbeneathhornsofstone.jpg
                http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg556/shivas_bilders/126-DragonBites.jpg
                I hope you like them. :D

                Now to CoS *__*
                --------------------

                I really enjoyed the book, especially the life of Alec and Seregil in
                Rhiminee. I had the feeling of getting a better peek into their daily
                life and I liked that very much. However, I was missing Alec a bit and
                had the feeling it was quite Seregil-centered. Don't get me wrong, I
                like Seregil a lot and he is my favorite. But I had the feeling that the
                POV-balance was better in the other books before. Maybe it's just my
                impression and it will change when I re-read it. Sometimes Seregil acted
                a bit too much like the "master" and Alec seemed like his apprentice and
                was amused when they had an argument just about that topic. I guess
                Seregil has learned a bit more to trust his lover.

                Regarding Atre: I hated him from the first moment on, I was suspicious
                about him. He was too vain and self-centered, taking gifts all too
                willingly. And that is good, it makes him a perfect antagonist. He is
                brilliant in his way and in what he does, which is even better. Best is,
                that he does not show any regret or pity for his victims. Brader is like
                his good conscience but didn't stand a chance against Atre's sparkling
                power. Hehe.
                I only wished for him a more dramatic ending, worthy of his perverted
                perfection in life, but that would have been quite unrealistic. I liked
                that Micum had the honor. That solution was very credible and humanic
                just like the unspectacular death of my beloved Vargul...

                Regarding the Royals: I was surprised that I came to like Elani so much.
                Being trained by Phoria to become Queen someday, I expected her to be a
                bit more like her eldest aunt. But she is kind-hearted and sweet-
                Phoria died a good death worthy of her in battle. In the end, maybe her
                hard decision to beat Plenimar up till the end was a wise one, Plenimar
                would have never resigned unless in a crushing battle. Phoria was a
                Queen of war and now goes the reign to Elani, who will do a great job in
                more peaceful times.
                So I hope at least. I'm just sorry for her and Danos.

                The rivaling cabals and their members were partly hard for me to follow,
                due to my bad memory for names. At first, I mixed up Malthus and
                Reltheus and their goals but in the end I got it right. Next time I do a
                mind-map like I did with the Aurenfaie clans. XD

                Hah, the ending was so nice and left me with a warm and fluffy feeling
                and am looking forward to re-reading it.

                Yours

                Sabine
              • Lynn Flewelling
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
                  I love the artwork! So glad you enjoyed the book. :-)

                • Lynn Flewelling
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
                    Thank you! :-)