Re: [Flewelling] amazon, kindle, and me, a sad tale

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
      Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
      seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
      rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are vat
      free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
      know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher deals
      for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
      can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
      their own or not?

      HBrown9628@... writes:

      Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
      already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a
      new US
      address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
      from Amazon UK all the time for little things.

      And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
      for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to
      get
      the ebooks here.

      Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
      stock to send me a copy near release date this year.

      Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and
      maybe
      someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).

      _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
      (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:

      Yup, that's pretty much it.

      Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
      that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
      the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
      chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
      activities).

    • Tahra
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
        That's what I meant. It's ridiculous.

        I had a pirate copy of Age Of Empires 2, since the game took forever to get
        here (another mystery to me).... Bought the game when it got here, and
        installed that one instead. Always had to have the darn cd in the drive.
        Took forever to launch. Time later, it started complaining it was the wrong
        cd. To Hades with it. Reinstalled my old copy, no cd, worked like a charm.
        So, people who BUY the thing have LESS value than the ones who just grab it
        off the intertubes. That makes sense... how?

        Regarding dvds, besides the created problems with regions, different
        editions and availability... there's also this:
        http://www.dailyfunnystuff.net/pirate-vs-original-dvds-and-they-wonder-why

        It's BRILLIANT. And so true. Ah, and later dvds come with an ad agaisnt
        "thieves". So, you BOUGHT THE DARN THING and you have to sit through it. As
        ridiculous as in the movies. Or maybe a bit more.

        I wonder if the new book can be found in actual shops in London.. I'll be
        there in the end of may.. would make my return plane trip AWESOME ;)

        _____

        From: _Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:_Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> _
        (mailto:Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> )
        [mailto:_Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:_Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> _
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
          There are some other considerations buried in the issue--currency exchange
          rates make items produced in one country too expensive for those in another
          country to afford, or too low-priced in the former country for porudction
          when made in the latter countr (Chinese workers getting paid $2 an hour at
          the official exchange rate, turn out products which sell for less than the
          raw materials would cost in the USA. A $26.00 US dollar hardcover novel,
          costs most of two days' work in China, before taxes, as opposed to rather
          less than a day in the USA. The same CD priced in rupees, is a fraction
          of the price priced in US dollars when priced according to the official
          exchange rate....

          Currency rate imbalances and other exchange rate differentials, cause "gray
          markets."

          Another factor is censorshop and control, the reason why copyright went to
          life plus 70 years--two and a third generations--is because Disney
          greediness and German determination for Mein Kampf to NEVER be legally
          available in German in Germany, coincided.

          John Scalzi at Boskone on copyright, "My greatgrandchildren need to get a
          job. [They shouldn't live off royalties from my books.]"

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
            No way to test for me. When I bought that kindle book in .com they weren�t
            selling kindles in europe. And the account is now migrated to .es and it
            always redirects me there because all my amazon accounts use the same email.

            About taxes for books, in Spain are considered culture, so they get a 4%
            VAT. But ebooks were apparently not books, and they were taxed 16% (now
            that would be 18%).

            But I just read that the EU decided to set VAT for ebooks to same as normal
            books. So it should be 4% (not sure it is).
            UK is not in the union under the same regime as most other contries. So, no
            idea. But it would be crazy if you still were paying normal taxes and that
            was what is preventing you from getting the books from USA AND EU.

            About exchange rate, that has no effect. Amazon charges your card in the
            coin you buy it. And it's up to you, your bank and the credit card company
            to calculate what they'll charge you.

            On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, <HBrown9628@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
            > seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
            > rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are
            > vat
            > free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
            > know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher
            > deals
            > for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
            > can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
            > their own or not?
            >
            > Helen

            > HBrown9628@... writes:
            >
            > Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
            > already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a
            > new US
            > address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
            > from Amazon UK all the time for little things.
            >
            > And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
            > for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to
            > get
            > the ebooks here.
            >
            > Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
            > stock to send me a copy near release date this year.
            >
            > Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and
            > maybe
            > someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).
            >
            > Helen

            > _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
            > (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:
            >
            > Yup, that's pretty much it.
            >
            > Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
            > that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
            > the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
            > chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
            > activities).

            Alexandra.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
              vat is 0% on books here, but 20% ouch on everything else, so ebooks take a
              big hit. If vat on ebooks is going to be equalized hopefully that will
              apply to the UK to, you never know lol with this lot we have in Government at
              the moment.

              Anyway I found something to do with the money I had sitting in the bank to
              buy Lynn's Kindle editions... Im so sorry Lynn :-(, but I really want
              these as well for my Kindle and they're available :-(. The Harry Potter ebooks
              are on Pottermore at £38 for the set. Now I'm not entirely sure this is
              fair on the online retailers, let alone the paper bookstores but they have
              implemented the idea very well. Purchase price includes epub edition, Kindle
              edition, can dl them up to 8 times on different devices and you can link
              the books to your normal book cloud service, so I can back mine up on Amazon.
              It works on Nook backup to and a few others. That was one thing I was
              worried about but they have it covered. Obviously vast quantities of money and
              clout with people means this region locking nonsense can be got round :-(.

[...]

            • Paula Lieberman
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                Publishers don't want someone buying the $1.00 edition from low-wages
                country instead of the $15.00 edition from the high wages country... the
                publisher gets a LOT less money.