Re: [Flewelling] Re: amazon, kindle, and me, a sad tale

  • Alexandra
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
      That's weird.
      I recently moved my old kindle books accounts from .com to .es. And same as
      Germany, I haven noticed it missing any books. I would expect .uk to have
      the same -if not more- than any non-english site. So that's really strange.
      Maybe they're having some technical issues? *puzzled*

      --
      Alexandra.

    • Paula Lieberman
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
        It's got to do with who's got the distribution rights for what country, it's
        the equivalent of DVD zone limiting...

        The print publications distribution system is paranoid and stuck back in
        1850 maybe, if that advanced, and viewed epublication as -Humongous
        Threat!- -- this despite the fact that the unauthorized distribution of
        stories on the Internet, including works which the unauthorized distributors
        got via someone without authorizing taking a print edition and scanning it
        page by page into an electronic document and uploadinh the electronic
        document, for distribution.... This of course is all benefitting the people
        who are not authorized distributors, some of them are charging money, but
        they aren't paying anything to the authors or licensed distributors and the
        retailers buying authorized editions for resale...

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
          Exactly. People who don't like money. They don't allow customers to BUY
          their products, then act surprised and outraged when
          would-be-paying-customers find cheaper (and sometimes better) alternatives.

          I'll NEVER understand that.

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
            So basically, honest Brits who just want to purchase the ebooks are
            stuffed, and the only alternative for our lovely digital devices is to hunt
            around for illegal scanned copies, oh joy.

            It is extremely unfair that this is confined to those of us who have our
            own version of Amazon, and the rest of Europe and the world can order freely
            from US Amazon.

            Traditional book publishers need to keep up with the ebook revolution,
            restricting it is wrong and will just lead to book piracy. It seems to be part
            of the wider movement to restrict our rights, the games industry is forcing
            more and more extreme restrictions on their customers, to the point that I
            simply refuse to buy from a lot of game companies now, I'm just fed up of
            being treated like a potential criminal by them, and being told what I can
            and can't do with what ive purchased. I haven't bought the last version of
            Settlers because it doesn't work unless you are online and it can
            constantly check with their servers, despite it being primarily an offline game.
            Stuff that, I refuse to buy anything that I cant resintall a few years down
            the line if I want to play it again. Otherwise we're paying to rent it not
            own it, and only for as long as the game companies support it, if they go
            out of business or turn off their drm servers then the customers are stuffed.
            If Ebooks go the same increasingly restrictive route I won't be a happy
            bunny.

            sorry again for whining, but its pretty frustrating. I just want to give
            them my money lol but they dont appear to want it.

            queentahra@... writes:

[...]

            _Reply to sender_
            (mailto:queentahra@...?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply to group_
            (mailto:Flewelling@yahoogroups.com?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%
            20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply via web post_
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwb2NzMG1zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0N
            TEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZ
            QMxMzMzNDUwMjgy?act=reply&messageNum=25785) | _Start a New Topic_
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOTc2bm0xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
            BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMx
            MzMzNDUwMjgy)
            _Messages in this topic_
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/message/25781;_ylc=X3oDMTM1OHZrOGcyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3M
            DUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgyBHRwY
            0lkAzI1Nzgx) (5)
            Recent Activity:

            _Visit Your Group_
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbHVraDZhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA3Z0b
            ARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgy)

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
              Well its a long technical issue if it is, Ive been checking the website for
              months and nothing but Glimpses and those German versions of Tamir Trilogy
              ever show up for me.

              I think it just hates me.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                Lol oh dear, I just popped over and took a look at Germany's Amazon site..
                yup lots of lovely Kindle copies of Lynn's books and Casket of Souls pre
                order as you said. I did give it a go and tried ordering a copy there, but
                the moment I typed in my email addy and pw, even my non existant apart from
                ordering Marzipan German got the message that popped up, your Kindle is
                registered or something with Amazon UK so tough luck, click on this link and
                head back over to the NightRunner less UK Kindle books pages lol.

              • Alexandra
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Yup, that's pretty much it.

                  Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                  that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                  the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                  chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal activities).

                  And, don't be sorry for the whining on my account. I had no idea this
                  issue existed for brits. I thought that for you it was easier to get
                  content in english than for non-english speakers. Turns out I coudn't be
                  more wrong. :) Good to know, someday it'll save me from making and
                  uninformed statement/judgement.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                    Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                    already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a new US
                    address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                    from Amazon UK all the time for little things.

                    And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                    for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to get
                    the ebooks here.

                    Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                    stock to send me a copy near release date this year.

                    Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and maybe
                    someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                      Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                      seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                      rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are vat
                      free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                      know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher deals
                      for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                      can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                      their own or not?

                      _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
                      (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:

                      Yup, that's pretty much it.

                      Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                      that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                      the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                      chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
                      activities).

                    • Tahra
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                        That's what I meant. It's ridiculous.

                        I had a pirate copy of Age Of Empires 2, since the game took forever to get
                        here (another mystery to me).... Bought the game when it got here, and
                        installed that one instead. Always had to have the darn cd in the drive.
                        Took forever to launch. Time later, it started complaining it was the wrong
                        cd. To Hades with it. Reinstalled my old copy, no cd, worked like a charm.
                        So, people who BUY the thing have LESS value than the ones who just grab it
                        off the intertubes. That makes sense... how?

                        Regarding dvds, besides the created problems with regions, different
                        editions and availability... there's also this:
                        http://www.dailyfunnystuff.net/pirate-vs-original-dvds-and-they-wonder-why

                        It's BRILLIANT. And so true. Ah, and later dvds come with an ad agaisnt
                        "thieves". So, you BOUGHT THE DARN THING and you have to sit through it. As
                        ridiculous as in the movies. Or maybe a bit more.

                        I wonder if the new book can be found in actual shops in London.. I'll be
                        there in the end of may.. would make my return plane trip AWESOME ;)

                        _____

                        From: _Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:_Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> _

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                          There are some other considerations buried in the issue--currency exchange
                          rates make items produced in one country too expensive for those in another
                          country to afford, or too low-priced in the former country for porudction
                          when made in the latter countr (Chinese workers getting paid $2 an hour at
                          the official exchange rate, turn out products which sell for less than the
                          raw materials would cost in the USA. A $26.00 US dollar hardcover novel,
                          costs most of two days' work in China, before taxes, as opposed to rather
                          less than a day in the USA. The same CD priced in rupees, is a fraction
                          of the price priced in US dollars when priced according to the official
                          exchange rate....

                          Currency rate imbalances and other exchange rate differentials, cause "gray
                          markets."

                          Another factor is censorshop and control, the reason why copyright went to
                          life plus 70 years--two and a third generations--is because Disney
                          greediness and German determination for Mein Kampf to NEVER be legally
                          available in German in Germany, coincided.

                          John Scalzi at Boskone on copyright, "My greatgrandchildren need to get a
                          job. [They shouldn't live off royalties from my books.]"

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                            No way to test for me. When I bought that kindle book in .com they weren�t
                            selling kindles in europe. And the account is now migrated to .es and it
                            always redirects me there because all my amazon accounts use the same email.

                            About taxes for books, in Spain are considered culture, so they get a 4%
                            VAT. But ebooks were apparently not books, and they were taxed 16% (now
                            that would be 18%).

                            But I just read that the EU decided to set VAT for ebooks to same as normal
                            books. So it should be 4% (not sure it is).
                            UK is not in the union under the same regime as most other contries. So, no
                            idea. But it would be crazy if you still were paying normal taxes and that
                            was what is preventing you from getting the books from USA AND EU.

                            About exchange rate, that has no effect. Amazon charges your card in the
                            coin you buy it. And it's up to you, your bank and the credit card company
                            to calculate what they'll charge you.

                            On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, <HBrown9628@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                            > seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                            > rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are
                            > vat
                            > free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                            > know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher
                            > deals
                            > for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                            > can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                            > their own or not?
                            >
                            > Helen

                            > HBrown9628@... writes:
                            >
                            > Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                            > already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a
                            > new US
                            > address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                            > from Amazon UK all the time for little things.
                            >
                            > And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                            > for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to
                            > get
                            > the ebooks here.
                            >
                            > Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                            > stock to send me a copy near release date this year.
                            >
                            > Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and
                            > maybe
                            > someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).
                            >
                            > Helen

                            > _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
                            > (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:
                            >
                            > Yup, that's pretty much it.
                            >
                            > Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                            > that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                            > the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                            > chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
                            > activities).

                            Alexandra.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                              vat is 0% on books here, but 20% ouch on everything else, so ebooks take a
                              big hit. If vat on ebooks is going to be equalized hopefully that will
                              apply to the UK to, you never know lol with this lot we have in Government at
                              the moment.

                              Anyway I found something to do with the money I had sitting in the bank to
                              buy Lynn's Kindle editions... Im so sorry Lynn :-(, but I really want
                              these as well for my Kindle and they're available :-(. The Harry Potter ebooks
                              are on Pottermore at £38 for the set. Now I'm not entirely sure this is
                              fair on the online retailers, let alone the paper bookstores but they have
                              implemented the idea very well. Purchase price includes epub edition, Kindle
                              edition, can dl them up to 8 times on different devices and you can link
                              the books to your normal book cloud service, so I can back mine up on Amazon.
                              It works on Nook backup to and a few others. That was one thing I was
                              worried about but they have it covered. Obviously vast quantities of money and
                              clout with people means this region locking nonsense can be got round :-(.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                                Publishers don't want someone buying the $1.00 edition from low-wages
                                country instead of the $15.00 edition from the high wages country... the
                                publisher gets a LOT less money.