Re: amazon, kindle, and me, a sad tale

  • blabla061201
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi Helen,
      it´s really odd that Amazon UK only shows you a limited Kindle content. I switched from Kindle US to Germany about a year ago and every ebook I´ve searched for so far is available on both sites. All of Lynn´s ebooks can be purchased here, too.
      Regards,
      Joana
    • Alexandra
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
        That's weird.
        I recently moved my old kindle books accounts from .com to .es. And same as
        Germany, I haven noticed it missing any books. I would expect .uk to have
        the same -if not more- than any non-english site. So that's really strange.
        Maybe they're having some technical issues? *puzzled*

        --
        Alexandra.

      • Paula Lieberman
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2012
          It's got to do with who's got the distribution rights for what country, it's
          the equivalent of DVD zone limiting...

          The print publications distribution system is paranoid and stuck back in
          1850 maybe, if that advanced, and viewed epublication as -Humongous
          Threat!- -- this despite the fact that the unauthorized distribution of
          stories on the Internet, including works which the unauthorized distributors
          got via someone without authorizing taking a print edition and scanning it
          page by page into an electronic document and uploadinh the electronic
          document, for distribution.... This of course is all benefitting the people
          who are not authorized distributors, some of them are charging money, but
          they aren't paying anything to the authors or licensed distributors and the
          retailers buying authorized editions for resale...

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
            Exactly. People who don't like money. They don't allow customers to BUY
            their products, then act surprised and outraged when
            would-be-paying-customers find cheaper (and sometimes better) alternatives.

            I'll NEVER understand that.

            _____

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
              So basically, honest Brits who just want to purchase the ebooks are
              stuffed, and the only alternative for our lovely digital devices is to hunt
              around for illegal scanned copies, oh joy.

              It is extremely unfair that this is confined to those of us who have our
              own version of Amazon, and the rest of Europe and the world can order freely
              from US Amazon.

              Traditional book publishers need to keep up with the ebook revolution,
              restricting it is wrong and will just lead to book piracy. It seems to be part
              of the wider movement to restrict our rights, the games industry is forcing
              more and more extreme restrictions on their customers, to the point that I
              simply refuse to buy from a lot of game companies now, I'm just fed up of
              being treated like a potential criminal by them, and being told what I can
              and can't do with what ive purchased. I haven't bought the last version of
              Settlers because it doesn't work unless you are online and it can
              constantly check with their servers, despite it being primarily an offline game.
              Stuff that, I refuse to buy anything that I cant resintall a few years down
              the line if I want to play it again. Otherwise we're paying to rent it not
              own it, and only for as long as the game companies support it, if they go
              out of business or turn off their drm servers then the customers are stuffed.
              If Ebooks go the same increasingly restrictive route I won't be a happy
              bunny.

              sorry again for whining, but its pretty frustrating. I just want to give
              them my money lol but they dont appear to want it.

              queentahra@... writes:

[...]

              _Reply to sender_
              (mailto:queentahra@...?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply to group_
              (mailto:Flewelling@yahoogroups.com?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%
              20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply via web post_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwb2NzMG1zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0N
              TEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZ
              QMxMzMzNDUwMjgy?act=reply&messageNum=25785) | _Start a New Topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOTc2bm0xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
              BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMx
              MzMzNDUwMjgy)
              _Messages in this topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/message/25781;_ylc=X3oDMTM1OHZrOGcyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3M
              DUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgyBHRwY
              0lkAzI1Nzgx) (5)
              Recent Activity:

              _Visit Your Group_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbHVraDZhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA3Z0b
              ARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgy)

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                Well its a long technical issue if it is, Ive been checking the website for
                months and nothing but Glimpses and those German versions of Tamir Trilogy
                ever show up for me.

                I think it just hates me.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                  Lol oh dear, I just popped over and took a look at Germany's Amazon site..
                  yup lots of lovely Kindle copies of Lynn's books and Casket of Souls pre
                  order as you said. I did give it a go and tried ordering a copy there, but
                  the moment I typed in my email addy and pw, even my non existant apart from
                  ordering Marzipan German got the message that popped up, your Kindle is
                  registered or something with Amazon UK so tough luck, click on this link and
                  head back over to the NightRunner less UK Kindle books pages lol.

                • Alexandra
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Yup, that's pretty much it.

                    Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                    that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                    the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                    chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal activities).

                    And, don't be sorry for the whining on my account. I had no idea this
                    issue existed for brits. I thought that for you it was easier to get
                    content in english than for non-english speakers. Turns out I coudn't be
                    more wrong. :) Good to know, someday it'll save me from making and
                    uninformed statement/judgement.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                      Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                      already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a new US
                      address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                      from Amazon UK all the time for little things.

                      And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                      for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to get
                      the ebooks here.

                      Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                      stock to send me a copy near release date this year.

                      Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and maybe
                      someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                        Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                        seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                        rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are vat
                        free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                        know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher deals
                        for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                        can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                        their own or not?

                        _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
                        (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:

                        Yup, that's pretty much it.

                        Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                        that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                        the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                        chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
                        activities).

                      • Tahra
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                          That's what I meant. It's ridiculous.

                          I had a pirate copy of Age Of Empires 2, since the game took forever to get
                          here (another mystery to me).... Bought the game when it got here, and
                          installed that one instead. Always had to have the darn cd in the drive.
                          Took forever to launch. Time later, it started complaining it was the wrong
                          cd. To Hades with it. Reinstalled my old copy, no cd, worked like a charm.
                          So, people who BUY the thing have LESS value than the ones who just grab it
                          off the intertubes. That makes sense... how?

                          Regarding dvds, besides the created problems with regions, different
                          editions and availability... there's also this:
                          http://www.dailyfunnystuff.net/pirate-vs-original-dvds-and-they-wonder-why

                          It's BRILLIANT. And so true. Ah, and later dvds come with an ad agaisnt
                          "thieves". So, you BOUGHT THE DARN THING and you have to sit through it. As
                          ridiculous as in the movies. Or maybe a bit more.

                          I wonder if the new book can be found in actual shops in London.. I'll be
                          there in the end of may.. would make my return plane trip AWESOME ;)

                          _____

                          From: _Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:_Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> _

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                            There are some other considerations buried in the issue--currency exchange
                            rates make items produced in one country too expensive for those in another
                            country to afford, or too low-priced in the former country for porudction
                            when made in the latter countr (Chinese workers getting paid $2 an hour at
                            the official exchange rate, turn out products which sell for less than the
                            raw materials would cost in the USA. A $26.00 US dollar hardcover novel,
                            costs most of two days' work in China, before taxes, as opposed to rather
                            less than a day in the USA. The same CD priced in rupees, is a fraction
                            of the price priced in US dollars when priced according to the official
                            exchange rate....

                            Currency rate imbalances and other exchange rate differentials, cause "gray
                            markets."

                            Another factor is censorshop and control, the reason why copyright went to
                            life plus 70 years--two and a third generations--is because Disney
                            greediness and German determination for Mein Kampf to NEVER be legally
                            available in German in Germany, coincided.

                            John Scalzi at Boskone on copyright, "My greatgrandchildren need to get a
                            job. [They shouldn't live off royalties from my books.]"

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                              No way to test for me. When I bought that kindle book in .com they weren�t
                              selling kindles in europe. And the account is now migrated to .es and it
                              always redirects me there because all my amazon accounts use the same email.

                              About taxes for books, in Spain are considered culture, so they get a 4%
                              VAT. But ebooks were apparently not books, and they were taxed 16% (now
                              that would be 18%).

                              But I just read that the EU decided to set VAT for ebooks to same as normal
                              books. So it should be 4% (not sure it is).
                              UK is not in the union under the same regime as most other contries. So, no
                              idea. But it would be crazy if you still were paying normal taxes and that
                              was what is preventing you from getting the books from USA AND EU.

                              About exchange rate, that has no effect. Amazon charges your card in the
                              coin you buy it. And it's up to you, your bank and the credit card company
                              to calculate what they'll charge you.

                              On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, <HBrown9628@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                              > seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                              > rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are
                              > vat
                              > free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                              > know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher
                              > deals
                              > for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                              > can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                              > their own or not?
                              >
                              > Helen

                              > HBrown9628@... writes:
                              >
                              > Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                              > already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a
                              > new US
                              > address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                              > from Amazon UK all the time for little things.
                              >
                              > And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                              > for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to
                              > get
                              > the ebooks here.
                              >
                              > Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                              > stock to send me a copy near release date this year.
                              >
                              > Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and
                              > maybe
                              > someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).
                              >
                              > Helen

                              > _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
                              > (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:
                              >
                              > Yup, that's pretty much it.
                              >
                              > Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                              > that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                              > the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                              > chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
                              > activities).

                              Alexandra.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                                vat is 0% on books here, but 20% ouch on everything else, so ebooks take a
                                big hit. If vat on ebooks is going to be equalized hopefully that will
                                apply to the UK to, you never know lol with this lot we have in Government at
                                the moment.

                                Anyway I found something to do with the money I had sitting in the bank to
                                buy Lynn's Kindle editions... Im so sorry Lynn :-(, but I really want
                                these as well for my Kindle and they're available :-(. The Harry Potter ebooks
                                are on Pottermore at £38 for the set. Now I'm not entirely sure this is
                                fair on the online retailers, let alone the paper bookstores but they have
                                implemented the idea very well. Purchase price includes epub edition, Kindle
                                edition, can dl them up to 8 times on different devices and you can link
                                the books to your normal book cloud service, so I can back mine up on Amazon.
                                It works on Nook backup to and a few others. That was one thing I was
                                worried about but they have it covered. Obviously vast quantities of money and
                                clout with people means this region locking nonsense can be got round :-(.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 4, 2012
                                  Publishers don't want someone buying the $1.00 edition from low-wages
                                  country instead of the $15.00 edition from the high wages country... the
                                  publisher gets a LOT less money.