amazon, kindle, and me, a sad tale

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 11:08 AM
      Sniff, well my year long love affair with my beloved Kindle, complete with
      hot pink leather cover, it looks very fetching in that I must say, is going
      through a rough patch sniff.

      It all started when I mistakenly thought it might be the answer to my
      problem with getting Lynn's books from Amazon UK somewhere near release date.
      The last two despite my pre ordering months in advance never arrived and I
      got an apologetic note saying theyd run out of stock.. run out of stock
      bah, surely they can count the number of pre orders and stock the appropriate
      number of books, but apparently not. So two books running I had to rush
      round trying to get a copy from somewhere to keep up with you lot ;-).

      Sadly the Kindle proved even worse. Suspicions should have been raised by
      the fact every time I typed Lynn's name into Amazon UK's kindle page it just
      showed Glimpses, and the three Tamir books in German. I want to put all
      the Nightrunner books on my Kindle. I went to Amazon.com and found all the
      Nightrunner books in Kindle versions sniff, and the pre order for Casket of
      Souls. Order them though, forget it, it just points out that I'm a nasty
      foreigner, well Brit and should head back to Amazon UK's kindle pages to
      order. Grrrrr. I tried the forums there, some people a couple of years ago
      had tried resetting their Kindles to US and then back again, it did work if
      they already had a .com account but doesn't now as you have to input a US
      address. And to be honest I don't really want to risk account switching
      between the two as it migrates your books back and forth and I dont want to risk
      in anyway losing my expensive digital book collection.

      This isnt it turns out an excusively Kindle problem. ITunes does pretty
      much the same thing. Attempts to purchase Casket of Souls there results
      exactly the same in Itunes telling you to bugger off where you came from lol.

      I have no idea why this stupid distinction exists. Is it publisher lead,
      ebook company lead, whatever it is, it needs sorting out and quickly. I can
      buy real books no problem from anywhere in the world, I really don't
      appreciate being penned in to purchasing digital books in the UK only in this day
      and age. Especially when there aren't any, if I cant purchase Casket of
      Souls from US Amazon and indeed the rest of the Nightrunner books to keep some
      of my favourites on my Kindle, then I cant purchase the ebooks at all as
      they aren't available on Amazon and Itunes UK and show no signs of being
      available for a long long time.

      Mutters a lot. Oh well will have to order my paper copy which yes I do
      love, but becoming increasingly harder to get anywhere near release date to.

      Helen

      ps to counteract the whining lol.. I am really looking forward to the new
      book :-).

    • blabla061201
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 11:59 AM
        Hi Helen,
        it´s really odd that Amazon UK only shows you a limited Kindle content. I switched from Kindle US to Germany about a year ago and every ebook I´ve searched for so far is available on both sites. All of Lynn´s ebooks can be purchased here, too.
        Regards,
        Joana
      • Alexandra
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2 12:42 PM
          That's weird.
          I recently moved my old kindle books accounts from .com to .es. And same as
          Germany, I haven noticed it missing any books. I would expect .uk to have
          the same -if not more- than any non-english site. So that's really strange.
          Maybe they're having some technical issues? *puzzled*

          --
          Alexandra.

        • Paula Lieberman
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 1:28 PM
            It's got to do with who's got the distribution rights for what country, it's
            the equivalent of DVD zone limiting...

            The print publications distribution system is paranoid and stuck back in
            1850 maybe, if that advanced, and viewed epublication as -Humongous
            Threat!- -- this despite the fact that the unauthorized distribution of
            stories on the Internet, including works which the unauthorized distributors
            got via someone without authorizing taking a print edition and scanning it
            page by page into an electronic document and uploadinh the electronic
            document, for distribution.... This of course is all benefitting the people
            who are not authorized distributors, some of them are charging money, but
            they aren't paying anything to the authors or licensed distributors and the
            retailers buying authorized editions for resale...

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3 3:57 AM
              Exactly. People who don't like money. They don't allow customers to BUY
              their products, then act surprised and outraged when
              would-be-paying-customers find cheaper (and sometimes better) alternatives.

              I'll NEVER understand that.

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 3:53 PM
                So basically, honest Brits who just want to purchase the ebooks are
                stuffed, and the only alternative for our lovely digital devices is to hunt
                around for illegal scanned copies, oh joy.

                It is extremely unfair that this is confined to those of us who have our
                own version of Amazon, and the rest of Europe and the world can order freely
                from US Amazon.

                Traditional book publishers need to keep up with the ebook revolution,
                restricting it is wrong and will just lead to book piracy. It seems to be part
                of the wider movement to restrict our rights, the games industry is forcing
                more and more extreme restrictions on their customers, to the point that I
                simply refuse to buy from a lot of game companies now, I'm just fed up of
                being treated like a potential criminal by them, and being told what I can
                and can't do with what ive purchased. I haven't bought the last version of
                Settlers because it doesn't work unless you are online and it can
                constantly check with their servers, despite it being primarily an offline game.
                Stuff that, I refuse to buy anything that I cant resintall a few years down
                the line if I want to play it again. Otherwise we're paying to rent it not
                own it, and only for as long as the game companies support it, if they go
                out of business or turn off their drm servers then the customers are stuffed.
                If Ebooks go the same increasingly restrictive route I won't be a happy
                bunny.

                sorry again for whining, but its pretty frustrating. I just want to give
                them my money lol but they dont appear to want it.

                queentahra@... writes:

[...]

                _Reply to sender_
                (mailto:queentahra@...?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply to group_
                (mailto:Flewelling@yahoogroups.com?subject=RE:%20[Flewelling]%20amazon,%20kindle,%
                20and%20me,%20a%20sad%20tale) | _Reply via web post_
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwb2NzMG1zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0N
                TEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZ
                QMxMzMzNDUwMjgy?act=reply&messageNum=25785) | _Start a New Topic_
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOTc2bm0xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0
                BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMx
                MzMzNDUwMjgy)
                _Messages in this topic_
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling/message/25781;_ylc=X3oDMTM1OHZrOGcyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3M
                DUwMjAyMjgEbXNnSWQDMjU3ODUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgyBHRwY
                0lkAzI1Nzgx) (5)
                Recent Activity:

                _Visit Your Group_
                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flewelling;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbHVraDZhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM0NTEwMwRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMjAyMjgEc2VjA3Z0b
                ARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMzMzNDUwMjgy)

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3 3:58 PM
                  Well its a long technical issue if it is, Ive been checking the website for
                  months and nothing but Glimpses and those German versions of Tamir Trilogy
                  ever show up for me.

                  I think it just hates me.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3 4:20 PM
                    Lol oh dear, I just popped over and took a look at Germany's Amazon site..
                    yup lots of lovely Kindle copies of Lynn's books and Casket of Souls pre
                    order as you said. I did give it a go and tried ordering a copy there, but
                    the moment I typed in my email addy and pw, even my non existant apart from
                    ordering Marzipan German got the message that popped up, your Kindle is
                    registered or something with Amazon UK so tough luck, click on this link and
                    head back over to the NightRunner less UK Kindle books pages lol.

                  • Alexandra
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 3 8:54 PM
                      Yup, that's pretty much it.

                      Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                      that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                      the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                      chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal activities).

                      And, don't be sorry for the whining on my account. I had no idea this
                      issue existed for brits. I thought that for you it was easier to get
                      content in english than for non-english speakers. Turns out I coudn't be
                      more wrong. :) Good to know, someday it'll save me from making and
                      uninformed statement/judgement.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 12:09 AM
                        Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                        already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a new US
                        address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                        from Amazon UK all the time for little things.

                        And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                        for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to get
                        the ebooks here.

                        Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                        stock to send me a copy near release date this year.

                        Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and maybe
                        someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4 1:47 AM
                          Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                          seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                          rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are vat
                          free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                          know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher deals
                          for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                          can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                          their own or not?

                          _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4 1:56 AM
                            That's what I meant. It's ridiculous.

                            I had a pirate copy of Age Of Empires 2, since the game took forever to get
                            here (another mystery to me).... Bought the game when it got here, and
                            installed that one instead. Always had to have the darn cd in the drive.
                            Took forever to launch. Time later, it started complaining it was the wrong
                            cd. To Hades with it. Reinstalled my old copy, no cd, worked like a charm.
                            So, people who BUY the thing have LESS value than the ones who just grab it
                            off the intertubes. That makes sense... how?

                            Regarding dvds, besides the created problems with regions, different
                            editions and availability... there's also this:
                            http://www.dailyfunnystuff.net/pirate-vs-original-dvds-and-they-wonder-why

                            It's BRILLIANT. And so true. Ah, and later dvds come with an ad agaisnt
                            "thieves". So, you BOUGHT THE DARN THING and you have to sit through it. As
                            ridiculous as in the movies. Or maybe a bit more.

                            I wonder if the new book can be found in actual shops in London.. I'll be
                            there in the end of may.. would make my return plane trip AWESOME ;)

                            _____

                            From: _Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:_Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> _

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4 2:51 AM
                              There are some other considerations buried in the issue--currency exchange
                              rates make items produced in one country too expensive for those in another
                              country to afford, or too low-priced in the former country for porudction
                              when made in the latter countr (Chinese workers getting paid $2 an hour at
                              the official exchange rate, turn out products which sell for less than the
                              raw materials would cost in the USA. A $26.00 US dollar hardcover novel,
                              costs most of two days' work in China, before taxes, as opposed to rather
                              less than a day in the USA. The same CD priced in rupees, is a fraction
                              of the price priced in US dollars when priced according to the official
                              exchange rate....

                              Currency rate imbalances and other exchange rate differentials, cause "gray
                              markets."

                              Another factor is censorshop and control, the reason why copyright went to
                              life plus 70 years--two and a third generations--is because Disney
                              greediness and German determination for Mein Kampf to NEVER be legally
                              available in German in Germany, coincided.

                              John Scalzi at Boskone on copyright, "My greatgrandchildren need to get a
                              job. [They shouldn't live off royalties from my books.]"

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 4 2:53 AM
                                No way to test for me. When I bought that kindle book in .com they weren�t
                                selling kindles in europe. And the account is now migrated to .es and it
                                always redirects me there because all my amazon accounts use the same email.

                                About taxes for books, in Spain are considered culture, so they get a 4%
                                VAT. But ebooks were apparently not books, and they were taxed 16% (now
                                that would be 18%).

                                But I just read that the EU decided to set VAT for ebooks to same as normal
                                books. So it should be 4% (not sure it is).
                                UK is not in the union under the same regime as most other contries. So, no
                                idea. But it would be crazy if you still were paying normal taxes and that
                                was what is preventing you from getting the books from USA AND EU.

                                About exchange rate, that has no effect. Amazon charges your card in the
                                coin you buy it. And it's up to you, your bank and the credit card company
                                to calculate what they'll charge you.

                                On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, <HBrown9628@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Ok now Im getting increasingly cross, the discussion on amazon uk's forums
                                > seems to suggest its because digital books are classified as software
                                > rather than books, hence of course us being taxed on ebooks when books are
                                > vat
                                > free etc. And that we are region locked as ITunes is, now what I need to
                                > know is can people from countries outside the US who dont have publisher
                                > deals
                                > for Lynn's books, Germany does so have to exclude them from this, anyway
                                > can people who this applies to purchase ebooks from countries other than
                                > their own or not?
                                >
                                > Helen

                                > HBrown9628@... writes:
                                >
                                > Well it used to be possible to switch back and forth but only if you
                                > already had a .com account previously, if you try now you have to enter a
                                > new US
                                > address instead of your UK one and I don't want to do that as I'm ordering
                                > from Amazon UK all the time for little things.
                                >
                                > And don't worry I'm not tempted to go the dark and dodgy route, to honest
                                > for my own good, but it is ironic that that's the only way apparently to
                                > get
                                > the ebooks here.
                                >
                                > Oh well, I just have to hope that amazon get casket of souls with enough
                                > stock to send me a copy near release date this year.
                                >
                                > Oh well I shall continue my whining with amazon on their website, and
                                > maybe
                                > someone will get off their backside and sort this out for us :-).
                                >
                                > Helen

                                > _x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@..._
                                > (mailto:x0x0x.mana.matin.mignon@...) writes:
                                >
                                > Yup, that's pretty much it.
                                >
                                > Is it that much of an issue if you move your account to amazon.com (does
                                > that option even exists) and leave it there? Because at this point it's
                                > the only paying option I see (never pay anyone for unofficial stuff,
                                > chances are your money will go to fund other much worse illegal
                                > activities).

                                Alexandra.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 4 3:05 AM
                                  vat is 0% on books here, but 20% ouch on everything else, so ebooks take a
                                  big hit. If vat on ebooks is going to be equalized hopefully that will
                                  apply to the UK to, you never know lol with this lot we have in Government at
                                  the moment.

                                  Anyway I found something to do with the money I had sitting in the bank to
                                  buy Lynn's Kindle editions... Im so sorry Lynn :-(, but I really want
                                  these as well for my Kindle and they're available :-(. The Harry Potter ebooks
                                  are on Pottermore at £38 for the set. Now I'm not entirely sure this is
                                  fair on the online retailers, let alone the paper bookstores but they have
                                  implemented the idea very well. Purchase price includes epub edition, Kindle
                                  edition, can dl them up to 8 times on different devices and you can link
                                  the books to your normal book cloud service, so I can back mine up on Amazon.
                                  It works on Nook backup to and a few others. That was one thing I was
                                  worried about but they have it covered. Obviously vast quantities of money and
                                  clout with people means this region locking nonsense can be got round :-(.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 4 7:24 AM
                                    Publishers don't want someone buying the $1.00 edition from low-wages
                                    country instead of the $15.00 edition from the high wages country... the
                                    publisher gets a LOT less money.