movie night

  • tawariel
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      I'm just back from the cinema, watching "The King's Speech" and it was marvelous!
      The best movie I have seen in a long time. Touching, enthralling and with a dry humor that is so wonderful. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Those 4 Oscars are completely deserved!
      I'm not going to spoil the movie by saying that my favorite funny part was the "swearing session". ;-)

      Tawariel
    • Lynn Flewelling
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        We loved it!
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
          I had a bit of a wry smile though lol, British films only win if they're
          historical or about royalty or both, and the Oscars like disabilities it
          makes them feel good not sure if is about awarding the disability or the
          ability to act it lol. So King's Speech, a stammering King set in the past, dead
          cert. I knew I should have gone and put on that bet.

          The other funny thing was that the writer wrote to the Queen Mother when
          she was 81 to ask her permission to create a play about her husband and his
          stammering and she very nicely wrote back and said it was fine, as long as
          it was after she was dead. Poor bloke, he said the thought it would be two
          or three years at the most at her age, but she managed to live to 101 and
          scuppered his plans for a few years.

          And the funniest bit of all was our Prime Minster David Cameron, grrr,
          congratulating all concerned with the film for it's success. This induced much
          hilarity in our house at the cheek of the bloke, The King's Speech you see
          was partly funded by the British Film Council, which has funded many of our
          Oscar winning films over recent years. The very same organisation which
          that slimy creep Cameron abolished in his recent round of cost cutting.
          They'd have got about 12 million pounds back from it to fund further films but
          alas being no more it won't.

          Helen ( busy plotting the revolution back in England lol )

          lbflewelling@... writes:

          We loved it!

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2011
            There are so many (un)official holidays to celebrate special people. I
            thought there should be something to celebrate your favorite author(s).
            And lo and behold, there is!

            Last year the author Heidi R. Kling announced "Author Appreciation Week"
            from March 15th - 19th 2010. She called on people to blog about their
            favorite authors for a week to show their appreciation of the wonderful
            books they give us.
            (I'm not linking to the original LJ post as I don't have permission, you
            can just google "Author Appreciation Week" and it's within the top 5
            results)

            Is it coincidence that I got this thought today and googled it, almost
            exactly a year after the first event?
            Maybe. And maybe not. ;-)

            I think that was a great idea and this should be an annual event.
            So, I announce the "Author Appreciation Week 2011" for next week, March
            14th - 18th 2011.
            As for rules, we will borrow the original ones from Mrs. Kling.

            "WHAT: Write a blog post (or on a mailing list, Facebook, Twitter,
            whatever) each day of next week about the authors you appreciate and why!

            RULES: There are none. Be creative. If you want to pick five, pick five.
            Ten favorites? Go for it! Can't choose between your top twenty? Well,
            then you'll be doing a few a day. And they'll love you for it!"

            What about double mention?
            Sure, why not? This is about what *you* appreciate, it's not about "pick
            an author nobody else has mentioned yet". If you want to appreciate an
            author x people have already appreciated, do it! If you want to
            introduce a new or unknown author, great!

            I'm looking forward to seeing lots of appreciation. And feel free to
            take this idea elsewhere (minus my email address ;-) ) and get other
            people to appreciate as well.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011
              Author Appreciation Week
              March 14th - 18th 2011

              On Monday I want to appreciated my favorite author Lynn Flewelling.

              I love your Nightrunner series for the adventures they take me on. I
              have always loved reading books, but there are only a few authors that I
              come back to read again and again. You are an amazing storyteller, your
              characters are complex and interesting, even the "bad guys" and your
              world building is just great. I love the "Street of Lights" just because
              it is such a great expression of a believable society where it's
              completely normal to be bisexual. And yet there are also other societies
              that have different views. Your world is so perfect because it's not
              perfect. It's not some candy world where everything is fine, it's a
              versatile world with good and bad things, balanced.

              Thank you very much for sharing your books with us.

              With great appreciation,
              Tawariel
            • Amy Harlib
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011
                aharlib@...
                I second this emotion!

                Cheers!
                Amy

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011
                  *lol* You're supposed to write a little more than just "me too". ;-)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
                    Author Appreciation Week
                    March 14th - 18th 2011

                    On Tuesday I want to appreciate my second favorite author Sir Terry Pratchett.

                    I can't even remember when I first picked up a Discworld novel. I think I was about 11 or 12 and I loved them from the beginning. Now years later of course I have favorites, like the witches, the Nightwatch and of course DEATH.
                    Later I read some of his other books as well, of which I like the Bromeliad trilogy and "Good Omens" (co-written with Neil Gaiman) best.

                    Thank you very much for these wonderful books that made me laugh out loud in public and sometimes also made me cry.

                    With great appreciation,
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
                      Author Appreciation Week
                      March 14th - 18th 2011

                      On Wednesday I want to appreciate my favorite authors Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown.

                      I have always loved cats, so when I first found one of the "Mrs. Murphy" mystery novel I just fell in love. What I like best is that Mrs. Brown manages to give voices to the various animals in her mysteries without making them human. And she writes interesting mysteries that don't depend on sex and blood to make the story captivating.

                      I had the great luck to meet Mrs. Brown in person in 2007. I was visiting a friend in USA and by pure luck there was a reading and autograph session at a local bookstore at the time. Mrs. Brown was very nice and even took the time to chat a little with everyone though the line for autographs was quite long. When she heard that I had cats too she signed my book not only to me but to them as well.

                      Thank you for my favorite cat mysteries.

                      With great appreciation,
                      Tawariel
                    • Dianna
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 16, 2011
                        I've read some of the cat mysteries. Great as audio books when in the car
                        with the parents--since my parents aren't into the same type of books I am.
                        :)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 16, 2011
                          Author Appreciation Week
                          March 14th - 18th 2011

                          On Thursday I want to appreciate my favorite author Tony Hillerman.

                          As I kid I grew up with Winnetou stories, so I was always fascinated by everything Native American. Hillerman's love for detail in his Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels explained a lot about the real cultures of a part of Native Americans to me. I loved the descriptions of the landscapes and of the people, which are so detailed that I could see them clearly in my mind.
                          Sadly Tony Hillerman passed away in 2008.

                          Thank you for years of wonderful mysteries and making a strange culture more accessible to me.

                          With great appreciation,
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 17, 2011
                            Author Appreciation Week
                            March 14th - 18th 2011

                            On Friday I want to appreciate my favorite author John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

                            I was 17 when I first read "The Hobbit" and then "The Lord of the Rings" and I love them. I have read "The Lord of the Rings" many times over the years and it still amazes me, how much detail and love he put into his work.

                            Thank you for many years of refuge in Middle-earth.

                            With great appreciation,
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 24, 2011
                              On Wednesday I want to appreciate Frank Herbert

                              I think he redefined what's possible with Science Fiction. He brought so much debth into a quite shallow genre. He made me feeling smart when I was 16 and opened up a whole universe - amazingly without showing every detail and yet created oh so fertile ground for imagination. A pity his son did not inherit his gift and let himself be urged to cash-cow his legacy.

                              On Thursday I want to appreciate Scott Lynch

                              He is quite new on my all-time-favorite-list, yet he convinced me straight from the very first page. With Seregil and Alec I had always a weak spot for thieves, so I guess Locke found an easy way into my heart. Comparing the two works it almost becomes palbale that Lynn is a mother, while Scott Lynch had a very uh..fickle history. Yet both authors stand out from the grey mass of bad fantasy full of Tolkien-wannabes and Mercedes Lackey copy-horses and copy-dragons. Thank you for taking me onto so many adventures, thank you for writing me new "friends".

                              On Friday I want to appreciate Steven Erikson

                              I discovered him only two years ago and regret every second full of cynic soldiering, human shortcomings, godly bickering I came late reading. In a way Erikson was all I ever hoped for. As an author he has no scruples – he writes just the way a story (or should I say history) should go. The reader is constantly trying to understand what's goin on through hints, half finished conversations and tiny bits and pieced fed to the reader in the opening poetry for each chapter (that normally every sane fantasy reader skips). Some story threads are never finished, just like in real life history gets lost. Gods? Heros? Epic? Sure. But Erikson created them anything but sacrosanct. And in between the devilishly realistic chaos you get to know the life of the normal peasant, the lowly soldier and the gifted anti-heros of his world. Life mostly doesn't make sense, neither is it fair – so why should a story? I recommend: be open-minded and give yourself time to tune in with Erikson's way of writing, for he is indeed breaking new ground. You will not regret it.