RE: [Flewelling] Re: SEBRAHN (SPOILER ALERT!!!)

  • Wolf SilverOak
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
      It's that whole 'Entitlement attitude' that some fans get.

      Skip seems to have decided to be vocal about it. Not that it worked, mind.

      Heh.

      -Wolf

      Semper Fi, Once a Marine, Always a Marine.
      Without Chaos, there can be no Order.
      <http://wolfsilveroak.insanejournal.com>
      http://wolfsilveroak.insanejournal.com - Wolf's Den blog

      <http://wolfsilveroak.deviantart.com> http://wolfsilveroak.deviantart.com-
      DeviantArt page
      <http://DantesSpirit.etsy.com> http://DantesSpirit.etsy.com - Dante's
      Spirit Etsy Shop

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
        Obviously it was a severe case of ‘foot in mouth’ syndrome.

        Reading and rereading The Night Runner books and/or the Tamir books will cure that.

        *nods sagely*

        And thinking first next time as well.

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010
          Skip schrieb:

          > Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped
          > against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to
          > get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the
          > Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans
          > truly loved.

          I´m sure you loved him... but "many thousands" of Lynns fans? Where do
          you get this idea?

          To be honest, Sebrahn wasn´t much of a character to me and i saw it
          coming from his "birth", that he will leave the series one way or
          another in the next book.

          There are still dozens of great characters in the series. I would like
          to read more about Thero or Micum for example.

          Volker aka darkon
        • Wolf SilverOak
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010
            You dumped the book and are no longer a fan, and yet. you came to the FAN
            EMAIL LIST to do what exactly?

            Vent? Whine? Piss and moan? All of those and more?

            Yup, you're a great ex-fan.

            *pats you on the head*

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010
              So basically Skip, what you're saying is, you watched this video (
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqEBQjWRws ) and decided you didn't
              need to be ashamed anymore, and decided to share the proof of your
              d-baggery with us all?

              video has "not safe for work" language, but is pretty much on the mark
              at describing Skip and his/her ilk. (and is also incredibly
              hilarious).

              On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:
              >        Sorry  to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day  you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the  Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly  loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even funny. I do realize that the fact that I care so much about him is in itself a back handed compliment to the extraordinary power of your  writing I guess.
              >    I know Seregil is quite obviously your favourite creation in this  series and so to placate and accomodate his essentially dominating, mean hard and  self-centered character (he reminds me of Rhett Butler in GWTW - another irritating literary "hero")? . . . .? you made poor Alec dump Sebrahn.?
              >    Hate you Lynn . . . .and just so you know I dumped The White Road 3/4 of the way along although I've ordered your short story book anyway.
              >  PS Please bring Sebrahn back to Alec. Meantime, do you have a group for ex-fans? Just asking.

            • Lynn
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010

                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:

                > Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even funny. I do realize that the fact that I care so much about him is in itself a back handed compliment to the extraordinary power of your writing I guess.
                > I know Seregil is quite obviously your favourite creation in this series and so to placate and accomodate his essentially dominating, mean hard and self-centered character (he reminds me of Rhett Butler in GWTW - another irritating literary "hero")? . . . .? you made poor Alec dump Sebrahn.?
                > Hate you Lynn . . . .and just so you know I dumped The White Road 3/4 of the way along although I've ordered your short story book anyway.
                > PS Please bring Sebrahn back to Alec. Meantime, do you have a group for ex-fans? Just asking.

              • Brookanna
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010
                  Wait, you mean other people read these books besides me? And they have opinions about the plot and characters? You mean Ms Flewelling is not writing exclusively for my pleasure and doesn't have to end her books exactly the way I want her to? Oh, my god. What a concept.

                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:

                  > Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even funny. I do realize that the fact that I care so much about him is in itself a back handed compliment to the extraordinary power of your writing I guess.
                  > I know Seregil is quite obviously your favourite creation in this series and so to placate and accomodate his essentially dominating, mean hard and self-centered character (he reminds me of Rhett Butler in GWTW - another irritating literary "hero")? . . . .? you made poor Alec dump Sebrahn.?
                  > Hate you Lynn . . . .and just so you know I dumped The White Road 3/4 of the way along although I've ordered your short story book anyway.
                  > PS Please bring Sebrahn back to Alec. Meantime, do you have a group for ex-fans? Just asking.

                • Samuel Martin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 15, 2010
                    Lynn, here's a virtual *standing ovation, party of one*! You handled this with much more grace and courtesy than I'd have been able to muster. :) Sam

                    On Oct 16, 2010, at 12:20 AM, "Lynn" <lynn.flewelling@...> wrote:

                    > Skip, given the tone of your comments, I honestly don't know how to respond politely, so I'm not going to, except to say that you're entitled to your opinion.
                    >
                    > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even funny. I do realize that the fact that I care so much about him is in itself a back handed compliment to the extraordinary power of your writing I guess.
                    > > I know Seregil is quite obviously your favourite creation in this series and so to placate and accomodate his essentially dominating, mean hard and self-centered character (he reminds me of Rhett Butler in GWTW - another irritating literary "hero")? . . . .? you made poor Alec dump Sebrahn.?
                    > > Hate you Lynn . . . .and just so you know I dumped The White Road 3/4 of the way along although I've ordered your short story book anyway.
                    > > PS Please bring Sebrahn back to Alec. Meantime, do you have a group for ex-fans? Just asking.

                  • Augustin
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                      Skip, I think your comment is really laughable. I hope you are still young enough to be still able to learn politeness, otherwise I feel really sorry for you. And you know that you appear much more selfcentered than Seregil ever could, right? Which, by the way, you followed through three books without a idea of Sebrahn coming. How did you manage that? Was hard, right? -.-
                      Oh, and one tip for the future: don't ever speak for "thousand fans" if you don't have a proof. That makes all of your comment sound even more ridiculous than it already is.

                      As for Sebrahn, like said before, I also thought he would have a limited time in the series. I liked him, but there are many other characters I prefer. So I think his "end" was great handeled. Anyway, what would they have done with him, if he stayed? They would have needed to abandon their old life completely, live somewhere far from society and play what? Happy family? Or "we can challange any enemy with this weapon"?... Sorry, but I would have truly disliked that! I thinik this way it was perfectly handeled!

                      And last but not least: I am "one of the thousand fans" which love Seregil the most, specially because of the newer books ;)

[...]

                      Eingehende eMail ist virenfrei.
                      Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
                      Version: 9.0.862 / Virendatenbank: 271.1.1/3198 - Ausgabedatum: 10/15/10 08:34:00

                    • Ankhetif
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                        Hey Skip,
                        just because you think something sucks that is your opinion again I
                        stressyour!  If thousands of others agree with you then a million does not.
                        Lynn writes with heart and compassion of each character.  If you don't like
                        it, try writing your own book and see how far it goes.  Maybe the thousand other
                        fans that hate Lynn and her writing will buy it.  Um NOT!

                        "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                          Skip: I think this comment was very rude and unnecessary. And you are probably the only person who feels this way. Yes, you are entitled to your opions; but you don't HAVE to go out of you way to join a group to say such a hateful thing. And if you didn't finish the book, then how will you know if he get's him back? If you watching a romantic comedy and your inlove with a relationship, but 30 min before it's over they break up, do you stop watching it? Well, if you do, then your just as stupid as I thought because they always get back together in the end. So chances are, they'll come back. You are a very hateful and judgmental person.
                           Lynn: I am very sorry that someone felt the need to write such a thing, but you should know that no one else feels this way.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                            Lynn I am deeply sorry for having caused offence by my "tone". I think I meant to be funny in a kind of dry way. . . but it obviously back-fired. What can I say. .  .I am young and dumb. Please forgive me.
                            I did not like that specific turn of the plot, but you are  undoubtedly among the top 5 best fantasy writers today.
                            Once again . . . my sincere apologies .  . . . Skip.

                              Skip, given the tone of your comments, I honestly don't know how to respond politely, so I'm not going to, except to say that you're entitled to your opinion.

                            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even funny. I do realize that the fact that I care so much about him is in itself a back handed compliment to the extraordinary power of your writing I guess.
                            > I know Seregil is quite obviously your favourite creation in this series and so to placate and accomodate his essentially dominating, mean hard and self-centered character (he reminds me of Rhett Butler in GWTW - another irritating literary "hero")? . . . .? you made poor Alec dump Sebrahn.?
                            > Hate you Lynn . . . .and just so you know I dumped The White Road 3/4 of the way along although I've ordered your short story book anyway.
                            > PS Please bring Sebrahn back to Alec. Meantime, do you have a group for ex-fans? Just asking.

                          • Kelly Kurtz
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                              I feel silly for feeding this troll, however, it does give me an opportunity to say I absolutely loved The White Road, a thrilling roller coaster ride with Alec, Seregil, Micum and some terrific supporting characters. Alec and Seregil are very much in tune with each other, comfortable, tender, witty. I didn't feel much for Sebrahn one way or the other although, like Seregil, he kind of grew on me after a while. And I think the way he left was one that worked for everyone involved (including fans).

                              Seregil, Alec, Micum and Thero are the Nightrunner Series. Kelly

                              --- On Fri, 10/15/10, Skip <dickens79@...> wrote:

                              Sorry to say Ms Flewelling, but your brain must have been slapped against the wall (to borrow your own imagery)? the day you decided to get rid of beautiful gentle Sebrahn who was the only character in the Nightrunner series besides Alec who I and many thousands of your fans truly loved. Like his father Alec he is adorable, stubborn single minded and even
                            • Rajean P. Moone
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                While obviously a recent posts words were taken out of context (as evident
                                from the poster's apology), I would encourage people to read all posts in
                                your in box before responding. I think we should be done pointing out
                                inappropriateness or attacking the individual.

                                Thank you.

                              • silbran
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                  I just want to jump in and express my gratitude and my appreciation for The White Road. Reading some mixed reviews on Amazon I didn't know what to expect but it turned out to be a wonderful book. Since there are still problems ordering the book version of Glimpses in Europe I ordered the same evening the electronic copy as PDF and I'm looking forward to buy the book later when it's available in Germany. I'm not a big fan of Sebrahn I must confess, but I would really like to hear more of Rieser should there ever be a chance to include him in a story again. Thank you, Lynn. I had many happy hours reading The White Road.
                                • Lynn Flewelling
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                    I'm afraid the humor didn't come through clearly, but I"m glad it was only a miscommunication.

                                    Lynn

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                      They weren't taken out of context. I read the whole post, I'm sure the other readers on this list did too. In no universe was that dry humor.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 16, 2010
                                        I think the point is that he has realized what he did and apologized.
                                        Continuing to rake him across the coals will do nothing but further alienate
                                        him and bring the rest of us down to the level of what we disagreed with.

                                        :)

                                        ~S

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
                                          Sorry I didn't come to this sooner, but I have some bug and stayed in
                                          bed...

                                          Okay, since Mrs. Lynn handled this on her own very graciously (thank you
                                          very much), I'm just going to add one thing and then this thread will be
                                          closed.

                                          Skip (and everybody else), if you want to "be funny in a kind of dry
                                          way" again, please label it clearly as such!
                                          And I mean writing something like "This is a joke/sarcasm/whatever".

                                          The problem is that emails lack the facial expressions which normally
                                          indicate to us how a comment is meant.

                                          Tawariel
                                          (going back to bed)