OT: Sherlock and Doctor Who

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2010
      Woof.

      Just seen the trailer for the BBC's new updated version of Sherlock. I thought Lynn and a few of you might be interested as there's a big link with Doctor Who as well as Sherlock Holmes.

      Ok, its set in the present day. But.. its written by Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss, yup.. that Stephen Moffat, current head writer and producer of Doctor Who woof, so its has a good chance of being interesting at least. Plus Mark Gatiss who wrote the Winston Churchill episode of the last series and The League of Gentlemen amongst others. He's going to produce it as Mr Moffat is understandably busy. There are only three episodes though to judge it on, plus a never to be shown pilot they made some time ago.

      Plus like I say with a pedigree like it has....

      Judge for yourself ... the bloke playing Sherlock was on the list of candidates for the eleventh Doctor btw and I can see why, similar facial features to Matt Smith but dark hair and a sexier voice. I do like his voice.

      YouTube - BBC Sherlock Trailer

      It's being co produced by BBC Worldwide and PBS in the States under their Masterpiece theatre thing so look out for it there.

      Helen

      ps... what did you think of the last series of Doctor Who now its on the final episode in the States... I thought Pandorica Opens and Big Bang were bloody brilliant as they say in my part of the world :-).

      pps you should have a go Lynn.. Neil Gaiman is writing an episode for the next series and Michael Moorcock is writing a Doctor Who novel for them.

    • Rose La Follette
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2010
        The new trailer is gorgeous! I'm over in the States, so I'm glad it's being co-produced. Having to trawl the depths of the internet to keep up with Doctor Who is getting old. :P
        Here's hoping that Stephen Moffat's work on Sherlock doesn't mean that his work on Doctor Who, which has been excellent so far, will suffer, or that he'll (horror!) quit. I'm a big fan of Stephen's, so thanks for alerting me to his newest work!
        I actually had a dream once where the TARDIS crash-laned in Rhíminee. All I remember is that Seregil punched Capatin Jack. XD
        And I loved the latest season of DW! It was everything I've come to expect from Stephen Moffat (and DW in general): creepy, atmospheric, and topped off with a happy ending.
        ~Lunasariel

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
          Lol thats funny, I can just imagine that Seregil would punch Captain Jack's teeth down his throat cos he sure as anything would try it on with Alec.

          A funny bit concerning Pandorica and Big Bang.. the date of the end of the Universe in Pandorica was the actual date it was transmitted,creepy, shiver, almost dead on the Summer Solstice and right in the midst of the Glastonbury music festival going on almost next door to Stonehenge. Many of us had a quiet chuckle and were quite sure the whole thing wasnt coincidental lol. Sure enough on the Sunday and final night of the festival.. the very last song performed on the Other Stage was Orbital performing their version of the Doctor Who theme, and who should appear in the darkness to perform with them, yup Matt Smith himself.. bought the festival to a great conclusion.. just search for Matt Smith and Glastonbury on Youtube and it should show up.

          My opinion of the entire series was it may well be overall one of the best ever with its fairy story start, multiple layers running through the whole series and the epic final two episodes. Wonderful stuff, Moffat is a genius.

          One teeny bit of bad news, potentially, Matt Smith has reportedly 'friends' who are dropping hints he may leave after the next series in search of Hollywood type films, which I sincerely hope isn't true but who knows, actors do start dreaming of bigger pay packets alas.

          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Rose La Follette <lunasariel725@...> wrote:

          > The new trailer is gorgeous! I'm over in the States, so I'm glad it's being co-produced. Having to trawl the depths of the internet to keep up with Doctor Who is getting old. :P
          > Here's hoping that Stephen Moffat's work on Sherlock doesn't mean that his work on Doctor Who, which has been excellent so far, will suffer, or that he'll (horror!) quit. I'm a big fan of Stephen's, so thanks for alerting me to his newest work!
          > I actually had a dream once where the TARDIS crash-laned in Rhíminee. All I remember is that Seregil punched Capatin Jack. XD
          > And I loved the latest season of DW! It was everything I've come to expect from Stephen Moffat (and DW in general): creepy, atmospheric, and topped off with a happy ending.
          > ~Lunasariel

        • Wolf SilverOak
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
            Careful with the Doctor Who spoilers. Those of us who watch it in the US
            haven’t seen the season finale yet. We’re a week or two behind.

            -Wolf

            Semper Fi, Once a Marine, Always a Marine.
            Without Chaos, there can be no Order.
            <http://wolfsilveroak.insanejournal.com>
            http://wolfsilveroak.insanejournal.com - Wolf's Den blog

            <http://wolfsilveroak.deviantart.com> http://wolfsilveroak.deviantart.com-
            DeviantArt page
            <http://www.1000markets.com/users/dantesspirit>
            http://www.1000markets.com/users/dantesspirit - Dante's Spirit at
            1000Markets
            <http://DantesSpirit.etsy.com> http://DantesSpirit.etsy.com - Dante's
            Spirit Etsy Shop

            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Rose La Follette <lunasariel725@...> wrote:

            > The new trailer is gorgeous! I'm over in the States, so I'm glad it's
            being co-produced. Having to trawl the depths of the internet to keep up
            with Doctor Who is getting old. :P
            > Here's hoping that Stephen Moffat's work on Sherlock doesn't mean that his
            work on Doctor Who, which has been excellent so far, will suffer, or that
            he'll (horror!) quit. I'm a big fan of Stephen's, so thanks for alerting me
            to his newest work!
            > I actually had a dream once where the TARDIS crash-laned in Rhíminee. All
            I remember is that Seregil punched Capatin Jack. XD
            > And I loved the latest season of DW! It was everything I've come to expect
            from Stephen Moffat (and DW in general): creepy, atmospheric, and topped off
            with a happy ending.
            > ~Lunasariel

          • M C
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
              From: HBrown9628@...

[...]

              There has been reports from Karen Gillan (Amy) that that stories not true. Can't remember where they are posted but if you google you should find them.

              The Dr Who Proms, starrring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan is scheduled for this Saturday 23rd live on Radio 3. No date given for the TV version yet.

              And for those who are interested Steven Moffat is on Twitter http://twitter.com/steven_moffat They are filming the christmas episode now and are in the middle of writing the new season. No spoilers but he does like to tease e.g. http://tinyurl.com/2wpafyt Also he's wife is the produce of the new Sherlock Holmes and is also on Twitter. http://twitter.com/suevertue

              MC23

            • Andrea Chavez
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 20, 2010
                Oh ...I'm fairly sure.....Cap'n Jack would sweet talk Seregil and end up with
                both of them....at the same time.....and they would LOVE it.....oh yeah.  hell,
                toss Micum in as well.....  but if it was limited to one, I think it is Seregil
                that had better beware, he is more Jack's type.

                Andrea---a HUGE Captain Jack fan.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Ooh andrea if you havent seen it there's a cute video on youtube of John
                  Barrowman and Daniel Boys singing I Know Him So Well from Chess to each
                  other... and yup youre probably right.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Oh yes...seen the video...have the concert on DVD.  LOVE John Barrowman...LOVE
                    HIM....and his partner Scott ain't bad either!  :-)

                    AC--looking forward to Torchwood Four and wishing she could go to Scotland for
                    Panto too....ah well