Gay YA Lit Article (Sorta On Topic!)

  • hametsunosaturn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2010
      So there's this feed called Library Link of the Day, which... I think most librarians read and today's link was a CBS News article called "Gay-Themed Youth Literature Takes Off" -- I found it really interesting and thought all of you might want to read it, too.
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/24/entertainment/main6614401.shtml

      As a library associate (librarian w/o an MLS degree), myself, I find it REALLY ANNOYING how libraries treat LGBT literature. The branch I work at is really open and most of the associates and librarians, I believe, wouldn't have the attitude of "we don't serve THOSE teens" that's mentioned towards the end of the article. Nor would they think that LGBT books are "inappropriate" as some libraries do. However, the system I work for is rather infuriating about that sort of thing sometimes.

      There's a WONDERFUL Young Adult (YA) book called My Most Excellent Year (by Steve Kluger), about some really phenomenal teens that manage to save a baseball field, befriend a deaf orphan (they all learn sign language for him!) and work out a crazy plan to meet Julie Andrews. It's crazy! And WONDERFUL! And there isn't even so much as the word 'damn' in there. In fact, there are books in our Juvenile section (2nd - 5th grade) with worse language than this book! But where do we put this book? The adult collection. Why? Because there's one (very adorable) character who realizes he's gay in the book -- and OMG we can't have that in our teen collection (6th - 8th grade)! Heaven's no.

      I genuinely hope Libraries become more open-minded about LGBT YA literature. I guess we're lucky because we even HAVE some of the titles, like My Most Excellent Year, or Will Grayson, Will Grayson (mentioned in the article) or another really interesting one called Sprout, by Dale Peck. Even if they are all in the adult collection.

      At any rate, I suppose the point of this post was to share the article and perhaps start a conversation of gripes or success in finding Gay literature (YA or otherwise!) in libraries (public or school). OR! Even if you have Lynn's books in your library! (I'm happy to say we DO have all of her books! :D Even have the downloadable audio book for some of them!)

      Happy Saturday!
      Michelle
    • Rose La Follette