Re: [Flewelling] Re: m/m - was a lot of other threads

  • Naiki
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hey,

      Just wanted to add my two cents about WA Hoffman and Sarah Monette (and
      finally actually try to post in this thread).

      I read first two books by WA Hoffman and was hugely disappointed - no plot,
      weak characterizations... Not worth buying at all. Might be ok to read if
      you have nothing else on your hands, but otherwise - nah. Don't waste your
      time.

      Sarah Monette on the other hand... Ah, her books are amazing! Great
      characters, lots of plot twists, perfect language. Oh, her books are a true
      treat for any language hedonist ;) I highly recommend her books.

      On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Mercury <demosthenesmercury@...>wrote:

      > wow, you guys are fast. thanks for the recommendations everyone i will look
      > into them. (except the herald mage or whatever that ones called, i have a
      > deep loathing for that book).
      > -mercury
      >
      > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com>, Wendy
      > Williams <wacwil@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have to admit, it's not my cup of tea either, I found it hard to even
      > get farther then the first chapter. I'll probably try it again later, but
      > yeah. ^^;;;
      > >
      > > This has been bought to you by Wednesday
      > >
      > > My Web site: http://web.me.com/wwnwil1986/myWorld-wen/My_world.html
      > >

      > > On 28/01/2010, at 2:54 PM, Barbara Franjevic wrote:
      > >
      > > > I appear to be the only person in fandom who wasn't crazy about Raised
      > By Wolves. I made the mistake of buying all three volumes, but abandoned
      > ship somewhere in the middle of volume 2. I found the plot had been bogged
      > down for some time, going nowhere, and I lost interest. I may give it
      > another try some day, but wouldn't count on it as I have so many other
      > things I want to read.
      > > >
      > > > "Saving one dog won't change the world, but it will change the world
      > for that one dog."

    • Ankhetif
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
        hhm, I seem be the only one who liked the Herald Mage trilogy. It was slow in the beginning I agree but it picked up emensly. Expecailly when she introduced The Hawk brothers. I wish she would do a story about them.

        It matters not how strait the gate.
        How charged with Punishment the scroll
        I am the Master of my Fate,
        I am the Captain of my Souls

        ________________________________
        Just wanted to add my two cents about WA Hoffman and Sarah Monette (and
        finally actually try to post in this thread).

        I read first two books by WA Hoffman and was hugely disappointed - no plot,
        weak characterizations... Not worth buying at all. Might be ok to read if
        you have nothing else on your hands, but otherwise - nah. Don't waste your
        time.

        Sarah Monette on the other hand... Ah, her books are amazing! Great
        characters, lots of plot twists, perfect language. Oh, her books are a true
        treat for any language hedonist ;) I highly recommend her books.

        On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Mercury <demosthenesmercury@...>wrote:

        > wow, you guys are fast. thanks for the recommendations everyone i will look
        > into them. (except the herald mage or whatever that ones called, i have a
        > deep loathing for that book).
        > -mercury
        >
        > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com>, Wendy
        > Williams <wacwil@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have to admit, it's not my cup of tea either, I found it hard to even
        > get farther then the first chapter. I'll probably try it again later, but
        > yeah. ^^;;;
        > >
        > > This has been bought to you by Wednesday
        > >
        > > My Web site: http://web.me.com/wwnwil1986/myWorld-wen/My_world.html
        > >

        > > On 28/01/2010, at 2:54 PM, Barbara Franjevic wrote:
        > >
        > > > I appear to be the only person in fandom who wasn't crazy about Raised
        > By Wolves. I made the mistake of buying all three volumes, but abandoned
        > ship somewhere in the middle of volume 2. I found the plot had been bogged
        > down for some time, going nowhere, and I lost interest. I may give it
        > another try some day, but wouldn't count on it as I have so many other
        > things I want to read.
        > > >
        > > > "Saving one dog won't change the world, but it will change the world
        > for that one dog."

      • Jessica Zeckel
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
          I was staying out of this discussion because we've had it about 5000 times,
          but I could not resist and I have to weigh in.

          WA Hoffman's books are something I consider a guilty pleasure. They are,
          essentially, a trashy gay romance set in 1600s Jamaica. The premise of the
          books (that 99% of pirates are gay and in long-term monogamous
          relationships) is absolutely ridiculous. Once I got over that and accepted
          them as romance novels, rather than as literature, they were thoroughly
          enjoyable. I reread them regularly (but I don't have the last book yet,
          better get on that). So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want a fun
          silly romance novel, they are great, but don't expect high literature out of
          them because they're just not. (FWIW I think Laurell K. Hamilton's books
          ought to be shelved in the romance section too, but that's a different
          story.)

          Mercedes Lackey's books fall somewhere between trashy romance and teen angst
          IMO. I loved the Last Herald-Mage trilogy when I was 14, but I can't stand
          it now (I'm 27).

          Sarah Monette's books are among my favorite fantasy books of all time. For
          all the books in the Doctrine of Labyrinths series, they start off a bit
          weak but really get going after a few chapters. The first book does have a
          particularly cliched beginning (well, cliche if you read a lot of m/m
          fanfic) with SexBloodMagic stuff going on. The main characters are great,
          the plot is great, it has assassins, magicians, BDSM, insanity (literally),
          and plenty of cattiness to go around. <3 I also really liked the book she
          co-wrote with Elizabeth Bear, A Companion to Wolves. I would warn that all
          of her books contain elements of BDSM and non-consentual sex.

          While we're at it with the recommendations, here are my other favorites
          (some m/m, some not):
          - Lane Robins's two books, Maledicte and Kings and Assassins. I looooove
          these books, particularly Maledicte. There is some m/m, though it is not a
          focus. More interesting is the genderbending main character.
          - Jacqueline Carey's books, the Kushiel series and the new Naamah series.
          Great world, great characters, and about as far from LOTR-style fantasy as
          you can get. (I personally can't stand LOTR or anything resembling it.)
          They have some m/m, but more f/f and m/f and yes, BDSM. The first book is
          still my favorite. The later ones are a bit too romance-y for my tastes.
          - Carol Berg's books. She's a little hit-or-miss but I like the Rai-Kirah
          trilogy, particularly the first book, Transformation, which has great
          interaction between the main characters. The Lighthouse Duology was also
          great. Not m/m, but there are still great characters and great chemistry.
          I haven't read her other two series yet.
          - Robin Hobb's books. The Assassin and Fool trilogies are the best IMO, at
          least of the ones I've read. Also not m/m, just good books.
          - Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. I didn't LOVE this series but I still
          liked it enough to buy the books (after reading from the library first).
          Also not m/m.

          I also picked up a book called Havemercy by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett
          from the library. It is m/m, and written by some people who got popular
          first as fanfic authors (I suspect Sarah Monette was a fanfic author too but
          have no proof). It's basically a combination of Temeraire and Sarah
          Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths series. It was okay. I wouldn't go around
          recommending it highly (Temeraire and DoL are better) but if you're looking
          for m/m fantasy it's worth checking out.

          Jessica

        • RiCo
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
            I liked the Last Herald Mage trilogy, I read all 3 books and own them. The second wasn't my favorite, but it was still a good read, I think.

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Mercury <demosthenesmercury@ yahoo.com>wrote:

            > wow, you guys are fast. thanks for the recommendations everyone i will look

            > into them. (except the herald mage or whatever that ones called, i have a

            > deep loathing for that book).

            > -mercury

            > --- In Flewelling@yahoogro ups.com <Flewelling% 40yahoogroups. com>, Wendy

            > Williams <wacwil@...> wrote:

            > > I have to admit, it's not my cup of tea either, I found it hard to even

            > get farther then the first chapter. I'll probably try it again later, but

            > yeah. ^^;;;

            > > This has been bought to you by Wednesday

            > > My Web site: http://web.me. com/wwnwil1986/ myWorld-wen/ My_world. html

            > > On 28/01/2010, at 2:54 PM, Barbara Franjevic wrote:

            > > > I appear to be the only person in fandom who wasn't crazy about Raised

            > By Wolves. I made the mistake of buying all three volumes, but abandoned

            > ship somewhere in the middle of volume 2. I found the plot had been bogged

            > down for some time, going nowhere, and I lost interest. I may give it

            > another try some day, but wouldn't count on it as I have so many other

            > things I want to read.

            > > > "Saving one dog won't change the world, but it will change the world

            > for that one dog."

            > > > --- On Wed, 1/27/10, Marti Ward <martiward@. ..> wrote:

            > > > From: Marti Ward <martiward@. ..>

            > > > Subject: [Flewelling] m/m

            > > > To: Flewelling@yahoogro ups.com <Flewelling% 40yahoogroups. com>

            > > > Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 10:28 PM

            > > > I'm just another lurker who finally found my two cents to add....

            > > > Two "series" I would recommend" Raised by Wolves" by WA Hoffman. This

            > is not a scifi/fantasy, but the M/M love story moved me like nothing I'd

            > ever read. It is set in the 1600's, in the West Indies and the main

            > characters are pirates. Will and Gaston's story is full of angst,tortured

            > souls and a love that truly conquers all. There are three (large) books out

            > now and the fourth and final is due in May.

            > > > Second recommendation is the Doctrine of the Labyrinth series by Sarah

            > Monette. This one is scifi/fantasy. Story of two brothers, one gay, one not

            > and their struggle to come to terms with each other and themselves. The

            > story is told from first person POV, but the chapters alternate between the

            > brothers, (and the last two books add a third persons perspective) . This

            > one is also a four book set and all have been published.

            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            Lynn's official web-site - www.sff.net/ people/Lynn. Flewelling

            Post message: Flewelling@yahoogro ups.com

            Subscribe: Flewelling-subscrib e@yahoogroups. com

            URL to this page: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Flewelling

          • Ankhetif
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
              I agree about the second one, it kinda throws the story off.

            • Tracy Turner
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                I am a die hard Lackey Fan. The Last Herald Mage trilogy is one my favorites of hers. She has done some books that included the hawkbrothers a lot, The Owl Knight books, and the Winds of Fate. Also the character Hawkbrother Firesong, in the Mage Storms trilogy. Owl Knight probably goes the most into their everyday normal life. I adore all her books. Unfortunately since Vanyel(main character of the Last Herald Mage) she hasn't done a main character as gay again, though she has consistently included supporting characters. She has a new one, Foundation, that's supposted to be part of three. I loved it, but think it got ripped into as 'too much the same' as her other books, by critics. I hope it doesn't affect her doing the other two books. Well, anyway, just wanted to defend one of my favorite authors.

                Tracy

              • tracey courage
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2010
                  I understand where I are coming from but I would like a story just with the hawk bros. I also have read the books you have mentioned.

                  Tracy Turner <foolartist@...> wrote:

                  >I am a die hard Lackey Fan. The Last Herald Mage trilogy is one my favorites of hers. She has done some books that included the hawkbrothers a lot, The Owl Knight books, and the Winds of Fate. Also the character Hawkbrother Firesong, in the Mage Storms trilogy. Owl Knight probably goes the most into their everyday normal life. I adore all her books. Unfortunately since Vanyel(main character of the Last Herald Mage) she hasn't done a main character as gay again, though she has consistently included supporting characters. She has a new one, Foundation, that's supposted to be part of three. I loved it, but think it got ripped into as 'too much the same' as her other books, by critics. I hope it doesn't affect her doing the other two books. Well, anyway, just wanted to defend one of my favorite authors.
                  >
                  >Tracy

                • elnnesa
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 3, 2010
                    I was trying to stay out of this, but the comments about W.A.Hoffman's work were too off target to ignore. It is cetainly a different type of book than Lackey writes, which I agree would have been great when I was young. Hoffman's books are not for eveyone. To apprieciate them, you need to enjoy exploring philosophy, introspection and troubled minds. Therein lies the plot. It IS a literary piece when read thus, and cannot be fully appreiciated otherwise. It makes you THINK!
                    The characters are remarkably well developed. As each thread of the Gordian knot in which their minds are wrapped unravels, the dynamics of their personalities is revealed. As they struggle to find a life with even ground, where there are no threats to their sanity, issues and people are thrown into the cart. (The cart representing things of the heart which cannot be discarded) With the each addition to the cart, the ground (their grasp on reality) becomes unstable, and they need to revisit their minds once again, and thus unravel another thread of the knot.
                    Hoffman actually suggests the the majority of the buccaneers prefered women. With lack of women and a need for release and a partner during battles/raids, they chose matlots, whom were later traded for wives as the men retired from piracy and women became available.
                    As I said, not for everyone. But if you enjoyed 'At Swim, Two Boys' or 'The God In Flight' you will probably REALLY enjoy it.
                    Josh Lanyon's Adrien English series is also a study of a troubled mind, but the dynamic of the mind can be overlooked by the story lines. Loved it, though!
                    I have not seen 'Kirith Kirin' by Jim Grimsley mentioned. It was decent fantasy. And I loved Sean Kennedy's 'Tigers and Devils', 'The Dreyfus Affair' by Peter Lefcourt and 'The Catch Trap' by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Loved Sarah Monette too.
                    We all have different taste in books, but some of our 'likes' seem to overlap. There is NO WAY I would read Danniell Steel, but she is always on the best seller list! Certainly we all share the love of Lynn's books, and I feel sure there are a vast number of qualities that drew each individual to them. It seems to be helpful when two or three 'likes' and 'dislkes' are mentioned for each recommendation. It helps to get a better feel for that individual's personal taste!
                    Cheri