Door Into... series

  • Kendall P. Bullen
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2000
      At 5:26 PM +0000 10/31/00, Flewelling@egroups.com wrote:

      >Yeah, the third book is called "Door into Sunset" I think and there was
      >supposed to be a fourth book, but if that's the case it's taken her 13 years
      >to write it and it's still not published. Which is a pity since the books
      >are quite good.

      I'm pleased to tell y'all that Meisha Merlin (a gay F/SF/H press)
      will be republishing all three Door Into... boooks -- AND WILL
      PUBLISH THE FOURTH BOOK! This was announced at this year's
      Gaylaxicon 2000, and the seeds were sown at least year's Gaylaxicon:
      1999. I'm a big fan of Diane Duane's Tale of the Five series (the
      Door Into... books) and I was thrilled to hear this.

      Cheers,
      kendall

      --
      Kendall P. Bullen ------------------> http://www.his.com/~kendall/
    • Kendall P. Bullen
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
        On 1 Nov 2000 Flewelling@egroups.com wrote:

        *Oddly enough, I've just tonight finished re-reading the third novel,
        *Door into Sunset. I read on her website that the 4th novel, Door
        *Into Starlight, was being published this year, but I haven't seen it
        *anywhere. Since it took her 13 years to get the first 3 out, I'm not
        *surprised that we're still waiting!

        Part of the reason the 4th wasn't finished/published is that her publisher
        wasn't interested in publishing it. For some bizarre reason, the sales
        weren't stellar on the first three -- particularly (and understandably)
        for the third, given the huge lag between them.

        Kendall
      • Kirsten Kentfield
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
          (de-lurking for a moment)

          I've noticed people on this list tend to like books that are out of
          print. I found a web site that sells used books from ordinary folks
          for half the cover price. Oddly enough the web site is www.half.com
          I've bought several out of print books from them and was pretty
          satisfied. I checked and they have a copy of "Door into Sunset" but
          I'm not sure about overseas shipping. Anyway just thought I'd share.

          Kirsten

          >Yeah, the third book is called "Door into Sunset" I think and there
          was
          > >supposed to be a fourth book, but if that's the case it's taken
          her 13 years
          > >to write it and it's still not published. Which is a pity since
          the books
          > >are quite good.
        • Trinity
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
            Kirsten
            > Oddly enough the web site is www.half.com
            > I've bought several out of print books from them
            > and was pretty satisfied. I checked and they have
            > a copy of "Door into Sunset" but I'm not sure about
            > overseas shipping. Anyway just thought I'd share.

            I want to say I've had great luck with half.com - so far everything I've
            ordered is in better condition than expected, on time, etc. And thanks for
            the heads up on Door into Sunset, Kristen. It was the one book I haven't
            been able to find, so I ordered it as soon as I saw your email. That
            particular one is no longer available.

            Trinity
            ~*~
            http://trinity.slashcity.net/
          • FireDreamer
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2000
              Just get someone in the US to do it for you and ship them to you if
              that's the only place you can find the books you want.

              My friends do that with japanese cds all the time.....

              --
              FireDreamer
              Email: peshumelga@... | ICQ: 83937358
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2000
                Lovely site, half.com... they even have a book I want.

                Unfortunately, to register, you have to be a United States citizen living in
                the US. Makes it a bit useless for me. Oh well... I had a momentary hope.

                Does anyone know of any cheap, but decent shape, copies of Shadow of the
                Swan or House of the Wolf by M.K. Wren for sale? I have read all three, but
                only have a copy of the first book (Sword of the Lamb) in the Phoenix
                Trilogy.

                Thanks,

                Ilana

                > I've noticed people on this list tend to like books that are out of
                > print. I found a web site that sells used books from ordinary folks
                > for half the cover price. Oddly enough the web site is www.half.com
                > I've bought several out of print books from them and was pretty
                > satisfied. I checked and they have a copy of "Door into Sunset" but
                > I'm not sure about overseas shipping. Anyway just thought I'd share.
                >
                > Kirsten
                >

                > >Yeah, the third book is called "Door into Sunset" I think and there
                > was
                > > >supposed to be a fourth book, but if that's the case it's taken
                > her 13 years
                > > >to write it and it's still not published. Which is a pity since
                > the books
                > > >are quite good.
                >

                > Community email addresses:
                > Post message: Flewelling@onelist.com
                > Subscribe: Flewelling-subscribe@onelist.com
                >
                > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > http://www.onelist.com/community/Flewelling

              • Royd Burgoyne
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2000
                  G'day All,

                  Just wanted to say thanks for the heads-up to my earlier query about Dianne
                  Duane's "Door Into..." series. Shortly after reading the post and becoming
                  aware that there was indeed a third book ("Door Into Sunset"), I immediately
                  checked out some of the better second-hand bookshops in the city and, lo and
                  behold, I found a copy of "Door Into Sunset"! Woo-hoo! I'm already
                  ploughing through it and can't wait to see the release of the 4th. and final
                  book in the series although I might need to place that one on special order.

                  Meanwhile, as a newbie to the List, I thought I'd bore everyone with a few
                  details about myself :) I'm your average 42 year old collector/reader of
                  SF/Fantasy, comics and original comic art complete with patient
                  partner/spouse (Lisa), 12 year old son (Tristan) and 9 year old daughter
                  (Isobel). We live in one of the most isolated state capital cities in the
                  world (Perth, Western Australia) along with our dog (Patches), 2 cats
                  (Killashandra Re and Duncan McLoud), axolotl (Margerita) and chicken
                  (Princess Leia). Other "modern" authors whose works I enjoy (along with
                  Lynn of course :) include Laurell Hamilton, David Weber, Elizabeth Moon and
                  others whom I've temporarily forgotten.

                  Regards from Oz,

                  Royd Burgoyne
                  Perth, Western Australia
                • Kelli
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 9, 2000
                    Hi again everyone

                    I just had to reply to this one, cos surely you do not think our lovely
                    home is that far isolated from everyone??

                    Is such a surprise to see someone else on here from Perth, well close
                    enough, i live in Mandurah which is about 1hr south of our state capital!

                    Kel
                  • Royd Burgoyne
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 9, 2000
                      Hi Kel,

                      It certainly seems kinda isolated since we're about a 3+ hour flight from
                      the next closest capital city and especially when so many SF/Comic cons
                      occur in the US, Europe etc. - sob, sniff. Good to hear from a fellow local
                      fan of Lynn's work :) Best,

                      Royd