Re: [Flewelling] Re: m/m in new game

  • Angie Fiedler Sutton
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
      Well, the reason I even started reading your books, Lynn, is because it was recommended in a 'gay science fiction/fantasy' column on (I want to say) SciFi Guys. Having been a reader (and occasional writer) of slash fic, I figured I'd give it a go. Never looked back. <g> So, yeah, overall gay characters are creeping in and becoming mainstream (at least in the tv shows I watch - don't read as much as I used to). Why NOT fantasy & sci fi?

      Angie

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      All the world's a stage. And most of us are stuck painting the flats. - New Adventures of Queen Victoria

      My portfolio: http://bakabard.4shared.com/%c2%a0

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
        Not to discourage you from getting what I've heard is an excellent game (for reasons other than the inclusion of gay possibilities for your main character and some bisexual guards and the like), but it is by all accounts a supremely challenging one. I don't know how far that scene is into the game, but I have intense gamer friends that were being put to the test within the first few hours of gameplay.

        But I am really glad that they included the possibility to make your first-person main character gay, because I think it adds a depth of realism that games in this genre are trying to reach. Without the option, most people wouldn't feel the lack, but for the few that do, it would fall flat. (If I recall correctly, that option was available in both Fable games, and you've always been able to make gay Sims.)

        Just my ramble-y two cents.

        Deb

        "Treat no one lightly; think nothing is useless, for everyone has one's moment, and everything has its place"

        -Pirkei Avot

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
          The creators (bioware) of this game also made one called Mass Effect in which your main character has male and female choices for romantic interest no matter what your characters gender, so this isn't the first time they did this. One reason this companies games are so intresting and good is because they give you so many options for your game and are very "choose your own adventure"

          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Deb <shiakuu_hitome@...> wrote:

          > Not to discourage you from getting what I've heard is an excellent game (for reasons other than the iclusion of gay possibilitihates for your main character and some bisexual guards and the like), but it is by all accounts a supremely challenging one. I don't know how far that scene is into the game, but I have intense gamer friends that were being put to the test within the first few hours of gameplay.
          >
          > But I am really glad that they included the possibility to make your first-person main character gay, because I think it adds a depth of realism that games in this genre are trying to reach. Without the option, most people wouldn't feel the lack, but for the few that do, it would fall flat. (If I recall correctly, that option was available in both Fable games, and you've always been able to make gay Sims.)
          >
          > Just my ramble-y two cents.
          >
          > Deb
          >
          > "Treat no one lightly; think nothing is useless, for everyone has one's moment, and everything has its place"
          >
          > -Pirkei Avot

        • Rajean P. Moone
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
            Also, not to perpetuate the discussion, but there are many gay advocacy
            groups that are applauding the new character in Dragon Age with very quiet
            clapping. The character in essence is a male whore. When they end
            lovemaking, the main character essentially asks what does that mean for him
            and the elf. And the elf basically says he gets pleasure when he can and see
            ya next time you're horny.

            I'm not arguing one way or the other, but it's just a point that's been
            made. The one m/m relationship is essentially a one-night stand.

            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Flewelling%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Deb <shiakuu_hitome@...> wrote:

            > Not to discourage you from getting what I've heard is an excellent game
            (for reasons other than the iclusion of gay possibilitihates for your main
            character and some bisexual guards and the like), but it is by all accounts
            a supremely challenging one. I don't know how far that scene is into the
            game, but I have intense gamer friends that were being put to the test
            within the first few hours of gameplay.

            > But I am really glad that they included the possibility to make your
            first-person main character gay, because I think it adds a depth of realism
            that games in this genre are trying to reach. Without the option, most
            people wouldn't feel the lack, but for the few that do, it would fall flat.
            (If I recall correctly, that option was available in both Fable games, and
            you've always been able to make gay Sims.)

            > Just my ramble-y two cents.
            >
            > Deb
            >
            > "Treat no one lightly; think nothing is useless, for everyone has one's
            moment, and everything has its place"

            > -Pirkei Avot

            <mailto:Flewelling-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:Flewelling-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
            > List owner: Flewelling-owner@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:Flewelling-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

          • Peter Andersson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
              Well, that says more about him(or Elves) since he says the same thing
              if you have sex with him as a female character ;)

              But both as male and female you can have a relationship with him(and a
              foursome if you play your cards right/wrong)