New Book Question...

  • Jeffrey Alger
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2000
      Lynn,

      Are you going to have any GLBT characters in the new
      series? Just wondering....It doesn't matter if you do
      or not, but you write them with an honesty that isn't
      present in most other gay characters within books.

      Jeffrey

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Leafmirror@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
        In a message dated 10/30/00 10:07:47 PM, negov@... writes:

        >Lynn,
        >
        >Are you going to have any GLBT characters in the new
        >series? Just wondering....It doesn't matter if you do
        >or not, but you write them with an honesty that isn't
        >present in most other gay characters within books.
        >
        >Jeffrey

        The main character is a girl magically altered to look like a boy who until
        she is a young teen does not know the truth, so I think I'm somewhat in "T"
        territory here. There's a lot else going on in this book, but the idea of
        what makes up sexual identity is certainly a theme. My personal challenge in
        this one is to use gender as an issue, without setting up a black and white
        "man bad, woman good" scenario.
      • Royd Burgoyne
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
          G'day from Downunder,

          Greetings from a new member of this List :) I recently "discovered" the
          Nightrunner series and devoured the first 3 books over the course of the
          last month! I was most impressed with the superbly realised/believable
          characters and the way in which the 3 books were structured. Wonderful
          stuff, thankyou for bringing them to life!

          While I look forward to the next book featuring a tale set many years prior
          to the Nightrunner series, I was wondering if, at some stage, you plan to
          return to the adventures of Alec and Seregil? I'm sure this is a question
          that you've been asked many times before, however, I'd dearly love to see
          you explore Alec's Hazadrielfaie (sorry, I can't duplicate the accents :)
          heritage as the basis of a future Nightrunner novel.

          I'd also like to echo Jeffrey's sentiments regarding the way in which you
          developed the relationship between Alec and Seregil. The only other writer
          whom I can immediately recall that has the same facility in handling gay
          characters is Dianne Duane with her "Door Into Shadow" and "Door Into Fire"
          novels. (Was the third novel in that series ever finished?).

          Warm regards from Oz,

          Royd Burgoyne
          Perth, Western Australia

          > In a message dated 10/30/00 10:07:47 PM, negov@... writes:
          >
          > >Lynn,
          > >
          > >Are you going to have any GLBT characters in the new
          > >series? Just wondering....It doesn't matter if you do
          > >or not, but you write them with an honesty that isn't
          > >present in most other gay characters within books.
          > >
          > >Jeffrey
          >

          > The main character is a girl magically altered to look like a boy who
          until
          > she is a young teen does not know the truth, so I think I'm somewhat in
          "T"
          > territory here. There's a lot else going on in this book, but the idea of
          > what makes up sexual identity is certainly a theme. My personal challenge
          in
          > this one is to use gender as an issue, without setting up a black and
          white
          > "man bad, woman good" scenario.
        • Teresa ���
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
            >The only other writer
            >whom I can immediately recall that has the same facility in handling gay
            >characters is Dianne Duane with her "Door Into Shadow" and "Door Into Fire"
            >novels. (Was the third novel in that series ever finished?).

            Yeah, the third book is called "Door into Sunset" I think and there was
            supposed to be a fourth book, but if that's the case it's taken her 13 years
            to write it and it's still not published. Which is a pity since the books
            are quite good.

            cheers,
            Teresa

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Leafmirror@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
              Thanks Royd! I do plan to go on with the Nightrunner boys in the future, but
              the deadline demands of the current trilogy are keeping me from doing
              anything else for a while.
            • Tamara Myers
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
                Royd,

                The third book in Diane Duane's "Door" series is Door
                into Sunset. It pubbed in 1993 here in the States,
                about 10 years after the first two. It's out of
                print, as far as I know, but probably worth tracking
                down. I don't know if it was ever published down in
                Oz--let us know if you find out? I'm willing to send
                care packages, especially for a series that kind of
                leaves you hanging at the end of the second book!

                And welcome to the list!

                Tamara

                =====
                In the seldom rain of Arizona
                the desert has made peace with God.
                It understands, in a way we often can't
                water is a gift, a flowing prayer
                returned as quickly
                in the few thick moments after dawn
                as it first fell.

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • Royd Burgoyne
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2000
                  Lynn,

                  Thank you very much indeed for responding, it's a treat to have one's
                  questions answered directly by the author :)

                  Teresa and Tamara,

                  Thanks muchly for the info on the third book of the "Door Into...." series
                  by Dianne Duane. I had no idea that the third book had been released (let
                  alone a fourth book intended) - arrghh! I'll attempt to chase it up locally
                  before taking up your (Tamara's) kind offer.

                  What a great List, two burning questions answered in one day! :) Regards,

                  Royd