Book Repairs

  • leannan56
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2009
      "my library has books from Kim Harrison, to Laurell K. Hamilton to Lynn's books but I think some may be donated but in Kim Harrison's books they were new and when I read the newest book that was still in the new section....it's so popular they already have to repair the book."

      I work in the circulation department at my local library, and this note got me thinking about book repairs and how books are printed. I have noticed recently that a lot of newer books need to be sent out to the mending department rather quickly and do not last as long as I think they should. Does anyone know anything about the kinds of materials used when making books? Do they use a different kind of glue in trade size paperbacks then they used to? Those often fall apart quickly because they spine just does not stand up to any wear and tear. Hardback books stand up better but the spines on those often break apart as well. It always seems strange to me when some books need to be replaced after less than a year while others are still in the library after 10 to 20 years.

      I realize that how much the books is used has a lot to do with this and many people do not use books they take out of the library kindly. It always amazes me when people mutilate our books and then refuse to take responsibility to replace the copy. My library is very large and has great funding, but that doesn't mean we can afford to replace every book that is damaged by patrons. However, it is often very clear that the patron using the book had nothing to do with the damage, that it was normal wear and tear, and the book just couldn't stand up to being read by several people.