Re: request. was From Helen

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      Oh well Helen...don't know what to say really ;-) I actually never know what to reply when it comes to sad event and/or developments like that.
      You can either try to cheer people up, but in most cases it nothing more than a short but useless diversion. Or you can try to relate to some similar personal experience, but that mostly drags you down or hm..well dunno ;-)
      So in order to be productive...hm..how about some marzipan? xD

      noerml

      PS: @ Paula get yourself a private server ;-) I haven't gotten a single spam mail in...hm...5 years? at least on those e-mail adresses that matter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        OK, so in the future we will write something like "From your Listmom" or
        "from a group member". :-)

        As for spam, I usually recommend my beloved Thunderbird from Mozilla.
        Has a very nice spam filter and in combination with the spam filter of
        my email provider GMX I never have more than 10 spam messages a week.

        Tawariel

        Paula Lieberman schrieb
        >> General request -- please don't use subject lines of the form
        >>
        >> "From {name in part or full of purported sender of the message}"
        >>
        >> 99% of the email messages that have that sort of thing in the subject line
        >> are malign, and I almost automatically forward such things to the government
        >> agencies which deal with malicious email.
        >>
        >> To avoid that, my suggestion is to put something in the subject line about
        >> the contents of the message -- e.g., "What should I read while waiting for
        >> the next Flewelling book?" or "Thanks you to my helpers on the Flewelling
        >> mailing list" or something else that shows the email is for the particular
        >> list.
        >>
        >> I wish that the Internet weren't infested with two-footed vermin in the form
        >> of spammers, virus distributors, phishers, promulgator of chain letter,
        >> Ponzi schemes, fake medication sellers, snake oil and "lifestyle" drugs
        >> sellers targeting any email addresses they can get, etc., but the amount of
        >> annoying/irritating/larcenous/identity--thieving/malicious communications
        >> traffic on the Internet is enormous, and keeps increasing (that's what
        >> happens when an escaped lab experiment done by scientists and engineers who
        >> never designed it to be a commercial system, expected that their experiment
        >> would end, and that any commercial networking system would involve security
        >> and safeguards against abuse, and restrictions, if they were even thinking
        >> about commercial systems).
        >>
        >> Alas, however, the Internet -is- infested with vermin, and there have been
        >> times when most of the email I've gotten in a day has been parasitic or
        >> worse stuff from spammers, virus redistributors, Trojan payloads, phishing
        >> email, etc.
        >>
        >> [subject likes such s "Hello" or "Hey" and such, also tend to land in the
        >> "bitbucket" ]

      • lynn.flewelling
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2009
          Very sorry to hear that! My best to you and yours.