Re: [Flewelling] A Blond?

  • Pharlain
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
      I always saw him as blonde. I don't know, it just kinda fit with that
      innocent hunter boy type look. Of course thank god Seregil took that
      innocent away.....
      --
      ~Pharlain

      The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good
      non-specific symptom. I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell
      you a good phony fever is a deadlock, but you get a nervous mother, you
      could wind up in a doctor's office--that's worse than school. You fake a
      stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your
      palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then so is high school.
    • Norman Schwarze
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
        > Sorry if this has been brought up before (I hate being the list newbie!),
        > but does anyone else have trouble seeing Alec as a blond?

        I have blond hair myself so I don't have a problem with Alec being blond.
        Actually I even like the fact that he has....makes it easier to identify
        with him.
        Kinda weird to identify with a char 'coz of his haircolour though.
        hmm.......
        But then I don't hate Sergil for not having blond hair either....soo...

        Just some thoughts
        Nörml
      • Andrea Chavez
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
          I see Alex as a blond. But a dark blond, not a
          towhead or anything. Seregil I see with beautiful
          silky black hair.....ummmmmm

          hang on

          ok, had a little fantasy moment there.

          Thanks

          Andrea

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Pharlain
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
            on 10/11/00 9:46 PM, Leafmirror@... at Leafmirror@... wrote:

            > Nope. And you don't wanna know.
            >
            > LF
            Thats a real shame. Specially when you get fan art and are like "Hell I wish
            THAT Could have gone on the cover." I think some of the fan art on lynn's
            site portrays the boys extremely well.
            --
            ~Pharlain

            Children today are tyrants.
            They contradict their parents, gobble their food,
            and tyrannize their teachers.

            Socrates
          • Tamara Myers
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
              I guess I've always gone for the blonde thing...

              Alec and Seregil have such a yin/yang, dark/light,
              open/mysterious thing going on that the coloring just
              kind of added to it: they both complement and complete
              each other.

              Besides, they're each a different ideal of
              beauty--something for everyone!

              :)

              Tamara

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • Trinity
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                Norman Schwarze

                > I have blond hair myself so I don't have a problem with Alec being blond.

                Oh, don't get me wrong - I don't have a *problem* with it at all. I like
                blond hair (and brown and black, etc - it doesn't make much difference to
                me.) Its just whenever I think about Alec and Seregil, I picture Alec with
                light brown hair.

                I really think it's because I saw the cover art of Stalking Darkness before
                I read a single word of any of the books. Alec's image ingrained itself in
                my head, and I'm having a difficult time replacing it.

                I often wonder if writers have any choice as to what their cover art looks
                like, or what they think if it doesn't turn out the way they expect.

                Trin
              • Leafmirror@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/11/00 4:45:27 PM, trinity@... writes:

                  >I often wonder if writers have any choice as to what their cover art looks
                  >like, or what they think if it doesn't turn out the way they expect.
                  >
                  >Trin

                  Nope. And you don't wanna know.

                  LF
                • Trinity
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                    > >I often wonder if writers have any choice as to what their cover art
                    looks
                    > >like, or what they think if it doesn't turn out the way they expect.

                    > Nope. And you don't wanna know.
                    >
                    > LF

                    Yes, yes I do!!!! What did you think of the cover art on your three books?

                    Trin
                  • Pharlain
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                      on 10/12/00 2:39 AM, Leafmirror@... at Leafmirror@... wrote:

                      > I loved LITS, SD was so so, TM was not what the artist and I wanted to do,
                      > but I think it turned out well and he really got Beka right. I was glad he
                      > didn't try to do her face.

                      Yes, I thought LITS was a very good cover, but Seregil in SD...... yeah well
                      it was allright just not quite as nice as LITS. Very rarely can an artist
                      get the face right you know?? But honestly Lynn they didn't need to, you did
                      such a wonderful job describing them that I'm sure we all have these
                      pictures in our minds and nobody (not even you) could convince us they look
                      otherwise ;) This is a good thing though, since they are both such terribly
                      sexy men..... ::has a nice little hentai thought::
                      --
                      ~Pharlain

                      I hope life isn't a joke because i don't get it.
                    • Dewey
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000
                        On 11 Oct 2000, at 13:27, Tamara Myers wrote:

                        > I guess I've always gone for the blonde thing...
                        >
                        > Alec and Seregil have such a yin/yang, dark/light,
                        > open/mysterious thing going on that the coloring just
                        > kind of added to it: they both complement and complete
                        > each other.

                        I really like the way you put that! And one of my favorite quotes from
                        the books is when Thero is changing Alec's hair back from its
                        disguised brown in Traitors Moon:

                        "Thank you, Thero. I've always preferred blonde men," said Seregil.
                        "I've taken a great deal of comfort in that over the years," the wizard
                        shot back.

                        <lol>

                        Dewey (who has a thing for blondes herself. And let's not forget the
                        blue eyes...)
                      • Leafmirror@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 11, 2000

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000
                            One of the things I love about books, is that we have to use our brains a
                            little and work out our own vision of the world that the author is trying to
                            convey to us. And I bet every single one of us sees Alec, Seregil and every
                            little detail of life in their world differently to some degree or other.

                            One thing I that always happens to me, is that the first time I read a book,
                            certain things stick in my brain rightly or wrongly and every time I re-read
                            the book that initial image is really hard to shake. Worse example of this,
                            comes not from the NR books but reading Harry Potter to my nieces. The very
                            first book, for some reason my brain decided the main Hall with the magical
                            ceiling was on the left as you entered the building. It isn't, it's on the
                            right, but to this day when I have to read that book my brain 'sees' the
                            doorway to the room on the left, and as much as I try and see it the other
                            way around it won't work...

                            Helen
                          • agnes swart
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000
                              >From: Leafmirror@...
                              >To: Flewelling@egroups.com
                              >Subject: Re: [Flewelling] A Blond?
                              >Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:39:12 EDT

                              > >looks
                              > >
                              > >> Nope. And you don't wanna know.
                              > >>
                              > >> LF
                              > >
                              > >Yes, yes I do!!!! What did you think of the cover art on your three
                              >books?
                              > >
                              > >Trin
                              >

                              >I loved LITS, SD was so so, TM was not what the artist and I wanted to do,
                              >but I think it turned out well and he really got Beka right. I was glad he
                              >didn't try to do her face.

                              that's 4 sure. any faces on the cover of books usually get the Nooooo!
                              Reaction from me. espec if it's a later part where they show you a char you
                              already pictured a long long time ago.

                              :}

                              http://profiles.msn.com
                            • Pharlain
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000
                                There a german exhcange students in my school right now. And lucky me I got
                                one so get to hang out with all of em. And theres' this one boy Named max,
                                tall, blonde and blue eyed. Gorgeous. And what's better, can you guess what
                                his favorite book is???? That's right!! Stalking Darkness! He says he loves
                                the whole series but that's his favorite. I think I'm in love! ;)
                                --
                                ~Pharlain

                                Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
                              • Andrea Chavez
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000

                                  > I really like the way you put that! And one of my
                                  > favorite quotes from
                                  > the books is when Thero is changing Alec's hair back
                                  > from its
                                  > disguised brown in Traitors Moon:
                                  >
                                  > "Thank you, Thero. I've always preferred blonde
                                  > men," said Seregil.
                                  > "I've taken a great deal of comfort in that over the
                                  > years," the wizard
                                  > shot back.

                                  OH I had forgotten that bit!! HAHAHAHAHA. I loved
                                  that part. Thero and Seregil play off each other so
                                  well and yet you can always see the deeper...ummm,
                                  affection the two have for each other. They would die
                                  rather than admit it, but it is here all the same.

                                  Andrea -- who likes a lovely blonde herself, but
                                  usually ends up with the dark haired type.....ummm,
                                  when she ends up with anyone at all that is, which is
                                  rare. sigh.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                • le fruitbat
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000
                                    >TM was not what the artist and I wanted to do,

                                    So out of curiosity, what did you have in mind for that cover?

                                    emilie

                                    http://profiles.msn.com
                                  • Leafmirror@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 12, 2000
                                      In a message dated 10/12/00 4:01:31 PM, culynne@... writes:

                                      >>TM was not what the artist and I wanted to do,
                                      >
                                      >So out of curiosity, what did you have in mind for that cover?

                                      I had this idea of showing the Cup of Aura on it's rough stone pedestal_with
                                      a bloodstained head cloth crumpled at it's base and the dark moon somehow
                                      cradled in its bowl-- a 2001:Space Odyssey kinda image. Gary (the artist)
                                      loved it, but we couldn't sell the art dept. on a cover without people on it.
                                      Apparently those really do sell better. Oh well.

                                      LF