Re: [Flewelling] X posted: Scent of a Wizard

  • Angie Sutton
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2009
      While I agree on the 'depends on the spell' as well as the smell of ozone, I asked my personal muse (my significant other), who I bounce story ideas off all the time, who said this:

      "It's not what you smell, it's what you DON'T smell. Since you're rearranging the natural world to fit the mage's will, it creates an absense of the natural balance." To which I went ... 'ooooohhhhh'. <g>

      Angie

      ~~~~~~~~~~
      He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas Adams

      My portfolio: http://bakabard.4shared.com/%c2%a0

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 17, 2009
        I agree with everyone about different magic's having different smells. But I agree most with Tawariel answer on Magic itself. The whole tingling of the nose to let you know something like magic has been used makes perfect sense to me.

        I also think magic users would have a smell depending on what magic they focus on most. Like if a Mage likes to tinker with weather, they'd smell like a storm approaching, or damp grass after a storm. Cooking mage, would smell like a wonderful kitchen, a healer herbs etc.

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 17, 2009
          Yup, I totally agree with that, although the lack of smell is a veeery intersting theory, too (it made my jaw fall in awe actually, what a great idea !!)

          For me magic should smell like nature, too. Herbal and floral scents with a bit of alcohol for medicine spells, water, fresh air and undergrowth for soothing spells and iron and blood for battle spells.
          I feel necromancy should not smell too strong as it's a unifying cult for some Plenimarians and they're unlikely to follow if it smells that bad. So maybe fire, ashes, dust and mainly a chilling cold (ok, that's not a smell :-p)
          And Seregil's attempts to cast spells should smell... I don't know. Something "funny" ? Like acid sweets prickling your tongue ?
          Hard to tell but it's astonishing how we imagine quite the same way something that does not even exist... or... does it ? :-)

          What's the purpose of this question, Lynn, if I may ask ?
          Are you in the process of creating Nightrunner fragrances ? ;-)
          (it would be fun !! :-) One fragrance for each spell or each character...)

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 21, 2009
            --- i sorta agree with everyone else here, and sorta don'T.

            i like the idea that different sorts of magic smell different. It's a sound concept in terms of writting a good story. like "he could smell the residues of spell XY. Could it be? is the one he was looking for so close" (whatever... :P)

            What i totally don't like is the idea of healing smelling verdant/fresh, necromancy rotten etc. That's waaaAAAAaay too cheasy for me. I'd expect that in some sort of B or C amateur fan fic story, but not in anything really thought true.

            First of all i'd limit the differentiating smell on the type of magic. To stay in the NR world. Concept wise, Öreska, Blood-magic, Necromancy and Alchemy seem to be totally different. Thus the "smell" (mark the quotation marks) should be different.
            I also kind of having issues with the word "smell" in and by itself. An average person shouldn't be able to really "smell" magic itself, just the product, the effect, the lacking of something or whatever. So more a "sensing of something unnatural". The magic adebt should sense more complex things....sense....not smell. I don'T think something as etheral and arcane should leave such a mundane thing as smell behind.

            ah well...will elaborate later. Am in a hurry right now.

            noerml
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21, 2009
              I beg to differ. :-)
              Oreska magic for example uses a lot of physical components for spells.
              Like the spell Nysander used to counter the curse from the Eye on
              Seregil and Alec in LitS. He used chalk for drawing the circle, branches
              and some kind of ink/tincture to write symbols on the skin. All those
              things have a natural smell. And in my imagination those smells blend
              with the "smell" of magic into the smell of the spell.

              Though I agree that magic in itself wouldn't really "smell".
              And no, "average" people, meaning those who can't use magic, can't
              smell/sense magic. That's something that only magic users can do. Like
              an extra sense of awareness that comes with the magic in a person.

              Tawariel

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 22, 2009
                --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Tawariel <tawariel@...> wrote:

                > I beg to differ. :-)
                > Oreska magic for example uses a lot of physical components for spells.
                > Like the spell Nysander used to counter the curse from the Eye on
                > Seregil and Alec in LitS. He used chalk for drawing the circle, branches
                > and some kind of ink/tincture to write symbols on the skin. All those
                > things have a natural smell.

                ah..but i tried to express this with "An average person shouldn't be able to really "smell" magic itself, just the product, the effect, the lacking of something or whatever."

                what I mean..if some mage is setting a forest a fire...ofc he will be able to smell that. Or like you mentioned the preparation around the magic. Probably better put "he can smell/sence/ or better notice(!) the circumstances" on my behalf. But magic itself...that should be left to other senses. Maybe a certain kind of mental "tickling" or so. Or the magic leaving traces (now i have to think of star treck and those "warp signatures" *lol*).
                but for me...if you bring down the arcane magic down to the mundane smell, well then you steal away all magic (<- adv.!).

                since magic isn't a concept of our reality, particuallary not in such a straight forward way as described in most Fantasy books, all arguments seem to be subjected to personal opinion anyway though ;-)

                noerml

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 22, 2009
                  Oh, then I misunderstood your point. Now it makes more sense.
                  I actually mostly agree with you, the "tickling sense" is more what I
                  imagine as well.

                  And sharing opinions is all what discussing is about, right? Even if we
                  don't agree. ;-)