welcome

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2000
      Hi to all our new members, I hope you enjoy the list and do feel free to
      introduce yourselves and make yourselves at home. We're having one of our
      quiet patches right now, but don't worry it won't last <g>.

      Helen
    • Chad Lautner
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2000
        Well I've been VERY quiet (like over a year) since I last posted, so I might
        as well "come out" of the proverbial closet. Hi all, I'm Chad and I first
        came across LITS while at a local bookstore. Until I was 20 (I'm 26 and
        single all you boys out there) I never read books for pleasure. It was a
        funny thing not reading books; my entire family did and does read all the
        time. In fact reading is one of our sacred Christmas traditions: midnight
        mass, waking up at 6am for presents, immediately running to our favorite
        reading couches after gift giving to read the new books we've all been
        hinting to Santa that we absolutely need. ;o)

        Anyhoo, I got into reading one Christmas when my sister bought me the first
        book in Melanie Rawn's second trilogy. After reading the book in 4 days (I
        know, I know, I was SOOOO slow at reading back then), I realized there was
        an entire story the predated the one I was reading, so I switched to the
        first trilogy and ended up reading both trilogies throughout all of the
        following January and February.

        I've read many, many book since then (mostly fantasy and Star Wars, though
        the quality of SW became so horrible that I've since ditched reading them).
        I distinctly remember the day I went to the bookstore and found Luck in the
        Shadows. I had at the same day discovered Robin Hobb's book Assassin's
        Apprentice. (Sorry Lynn, I read AA first). I was so enamored with the
        realism of AA that I thought to myself (as I finished the last of her first
        trilogy), "this is the best fantasy I've ever read." So then I picked up
        LITS. All I can say is this: I've never read a book that so choked me up
        emotionally before as LITS/SD. I'd only recently come out of the other
        closet, and was still going through some of the pathetic issues one goes
        through when you've lived an isolate white bread rural Republican
        existence... (I am in no way trying to insult white bread lovers by putting
        them in the same sentence as Republicans).

        LITS was the first time I'd ever read a gay love story before. I mentioned
        this before but I think it should be mentioned again to Lynn, "thank you so
        very much for sharing your Seregil and Alec with us." From the outset I was
        happy that the entire gay sub-plot was handled as just that: a sub-plot. It
        was nice and refreshing to have a story that was on one side, poignant and
        progressive, and on the other side sensitive and authentic.

        I haven't been reading a lot lately, but will of course stop everything when
        Bone Doll eventually comes out. I want once again to say "Hi" to all the
        newbies out there, and now will lurk back into the darkness.

        (well one last thing, if anyone wants to watch a thoroughly funny gay
        comedy, the movie "But I'm a Cheerleader" just came out on VHS/DVD and is
        EXTREMELY funny.)

        Chad~who is enjoying the snow we're getting right now

        http://hometown.aol.com/sorotan2