Hello, and Question about Alec's sexuality

  • Trinity
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi!

      I'm new to the list <waves>. Absolutely love the books - as soon as I
      finished reading the trilogy, I picked up Luck in the Shadows and started
      reading again. Fell in love with Seregil and Alec instantly - thank you,
      Lynn, for creating such wonderful characters!

      I have a question for Lynn, if she's still taking them. Almost a year ago,
      you wrote, about Seregil:

      <<I hadn't originally intended for him to fall for Alec, or for Alec to be
      bi, but the story just sort of went there.>>

      I'm curious - where in the course of your writing did you realize Seregil
      would fall for Alec, and Alec would also fall in love with Seregil? Did you
      have to go back and change what you had written, once you realized it?

      Not that I thought anything needed to be re-written - I loved the way their
      relationship slowly unfolded until their seperation became almost
      unbearable. You did a wonderful job torturing us all by keeping them apart
      for so long. The payoff in SD - a kiss and a warm look - was thrilling
      after all the tension.

      Trinity
    • FireDreamer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2000
        Trinity wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I'm new to the list <waves>. Absolutely love the books - as soon as I
        > finished reading the trilogy, I picked up Luck in the Shadows and started
        > reading again. Fell in love with Seregil and Alec instantly - thank you,
        > Lynn, for creating such wonderful characters!

        ^-^ yes..I love them as much as my own characters personally...I come
        out of lurking to say welcome to whoever has appeared since i went into
        lurking...

        and to say something strange...I was listening to the radio when they
        were doing their 80's hr.....*shrugs* it's the generation I grew up in.
        I like some of the music. and a song came on that reminded me of these
        books...^_^;;; is..Pat Benatar's Shadows of the Night ..the lyrics
        remind me of the characters alot...

        --
        FireDreamer
        Email: peshumelga@... | ICQ: 83937358
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2000
          In a message dated 10/4/00 8:50:15 PM, trinity@... writes:

          >I have a question for Lynn, if she's still taking them. Almost a year
          >ago,
          >you wrote, about Seregil:
          >
          ><<I hadn't originally intended for him to fall for Alec, or for Alec to
          >be
          >bi, but the story just sort of went there.>>
          >
          >I'm curious - where in the course of your writing did you realize Seregil
          >would fall for Alec, and Alec would also fall in love with Seregil? Did
          >you
          >have to go back and change what you had written, once you realized it?

          Hi Trinity, and welcome!

          To be honest, I don't really remember when that happened. (I started the
          *very* first draft of LITS about 17 years ago! Where has the time gone??) I
          know that Seregil was attracted to him from the start, but it had more to do
          with his suspicion that Alec was a half blood more than anything else at that
          stage. And I've always felt that there are more than enough unrequited love
          stories already written. I think more than anything, I had to get past
          worrying what public reaction would be to me taking that tack. Glad I did,
          too, because it's been overwhelmingly positive.

          Best,

          Lynn :-)
        • Norman Schwarze
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000

            > To be honest, I don't really remember when that happened. (I started the
            > *very* first draft of LITS about 17 years ago!

            17 years!!!!?????????
            oh my gosh....never thought you worked so long on LITS.
            How long did it take to write the other two books??

            Nörml
          • Leafmirror@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000
              In a message dated 10/7/00 9:27:54 AM, noerml@... writes:

              >> To be honest, I don't really remember when that happened. (I started
              >the
              >
              >> *very* first draft of LITS about 17 years ago!
              >

              >17 years!!!!?????????
              >
              >oh my gosh....never thought you worked so long on LITS.
              >
              >How long did it take to write the other two books??
              >

              > Nörml
              Much less time, because I taught myself to be a writer (while convincing
              myself that I could actually do it) with the first one. When I
              say 17 years ago, I mean that that's when I got the very first inkling of
              the characters and world. I worked on the first four or five chapters for a
              very long time, thinking "Oh, I'll just do this for fun." I had other jobs,
              I had kids, etc. But eventually it became the obsession that is writing.
              The manuscript I produced with that first long effort turned out to be both
              LITS and SD, though it took some rewriting. Traitor's Moon was really
              leaping off a new cliff, and that took about 1 and 1/2 years to write, as has
              Bone Doll, although the actually writing time has been interrupted for some
              months by the move to western New York state. If you took the actual time I
              spend in front of the computer, it's much less than what it appears with all
              the life events, procrastination, etc. ;-)

              The more I do this, the faster it seems to come, though, and that's good news
              for all of us!

              Lynn :-)
            • Dewey
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000
                --- In Flewelling@egroups.com, FireDreamer <peshumelga@w...> wrote:

                > I like some of the music. and a song came on that reminded me of
                these books...^_^;;; is..Pat Benatar's Shadows of the Night ..the
                lyrics remind me of the characters alot...

                How about Faith Hill's "Breath?" I choke up every time it comes on
                thinking of the boys <g> I seem to remember Seregil spending a bit
                of time listening to Alec breathe while sleeping....

                Dewey
              • Leafmirror@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000
                  In a message dated 10/7/00 8:17:02 PM, deweylist@... writes:

                  >> I like some of the music. and a song came on that reminded me of
                  >these books...^_^;;; is..Pat Benatar's Shadows of the Night ..the
                  >lyrics remind me of the characters alot...
                  >

                  >How about Faith Hill's "Breath?" I choke up every time it comes on
                  >thinking of the boys <g> I seem to remember Seregil spending a bit
                  >of time listening to Alec breathe while sleeping....

                  Neat. I haven't heard any of those. But then I just came home with Rolling
                  Stones and Warren Zevon CDs.
                • FireDreamer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000
                    > How about Faith Hill's "Breath?" I choke up every time it comes on
                    > thinking of the boys <g> I seem to remember Seregil spending a bit
                    > of time listening to Alec breathe while sleeping....

                    Can't stand the song ..but reminds me of my own characters more than
                    them.

                    Anyone else ever hear a song and it remind you of fictional characters?
                    ^_^'

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2000
                      > Neat. I haven't heard any of those. But then I just came home with Rolling
                      > Stones and Warren Zevon CDs.

                      *shrugs* *listens to all kinds of music* It helps me get ideas on
                      drawings and short silly stories I have no intention of publishing.
                      Some of the music I have is the most current....some is as old as 70's.
                      It's just a matter of what sounds good. ^_^:;; seriously.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2000
                        In a message dated 10/7/00 10:20:20 PM, peshumelga@... writes:

                        >> Neat. I haven't heard any of those. But then I just came home with
                        >Rolling
                        >> Stones and Warren Zevon CDs.
                        >>
                        >*shrugs* *listens to all kinds of music* It helps me get ideas on
                        >drawings and short silly stories I have no intention of publishing.
                        >Some of the music I have is the most current....some is as old as 70's.

                        That old?! ;-) *Big teasing grin* Sorry, for me, that's last week. I feel
                        that way about my 1920s blues recordings and Glenn Miller.

                        Elderly LF
                      • FireDreamer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 8, 2000
                          > That old?! ;-) *Big teasing grin* Sorry, for me, that's last week. I feel
                          > that way about my 1920s blues recordings and Glenn Miller.

                          Older stuff is played by my father till I'm ready to kill it. That's
                          all. I don't mind music of any kind..but if it's played to death then I
                          mind.