Hello again!

  • dougplusjenny
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2008
      Hello.

      I last visited this site in 2002 - I know, I'm terrible. But I'm
      back. Just re-read the 1st three nightrunner books and the fourth one
      for the first time :) Had to read the fourth one in one go as I was
      soo scared for our guys! Thanks Lynn for another great book.

      I don't normally re-read books - so much new stuff to read - but I
      really enjoyed it and picked up on so much more than the first time.

      Been a hermit for the last two weeks now (reading Lynn's books). Once
      I started I couldn't stop and going to work or even the shops was a
      nightmare. Might have to do some nice things for my boyfriend
      tomorrow. He's been really good putting up with me reading solidly
      every spare moment and even cooking meals for me and making cups of
      tea when I needed them :)

      So now we have another year to wait and my boyfriend is already
      dreading having another reading marathon - I can't wait!

      Love to all my fellow Flewelling fans

      Jenny
    • Dianna C
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
        Lynn,

        I've been reading C.L. Wilson's Tairen books, and I just checked out her
        website, http://www.clwilson.com/ She has a trailer for 2 of the books in
        the series (it's near the middle of the page).

        Have you ever thought of doing a trailer for you books?

        I didn't even realize there could be trailers for books!

        Dianna
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
          I have seen some books, usually of a series, that have part of the first
          chapter of the next book at the end.

          Tawariel

          Dianna C schrieb:
          > Lynn,
          >
          > I've been reading C.L. Wilson's Tairen books, and I just checked out her
          > website, http://www.clwilson.com/ She has a trailer for 2 of the books in
          > the series (it's near the middle of the page).
          >
          > Have you ever thought of doing a trailer for you books?
          >
          > I didn't even realize there could be trailers for books!
          >
          > Dianna

        • Brenda Bronson
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3, 2008
            Out of curiousity have you discussed something like that Lynn with your editor/publisher? It's certainly a good idea if it can be done. The only thing I can see as to whether or not it'll be done or not I think would depend if your first chapters for the next book are infact ready to be published with the book before and how often there is inbetween books. Some authors only take a year to write a new book. Some are faster then that. Some are a little slower while others take 3-5 years to work on so for those authors I don't think a trailor would work but maybe for you it could.

            Dianna C schrieb:
            > Lynn,
            >
            > I've been reading C.L. Wilson's Tairen books, and I just checked out her
            > website, http://www.clwilson.com/ She has a trailer for 2 of the books in
            > the series (it's near the middle of the page).
            >
            > Have you ever thought of doing a trailer for you books?
            >
            > I didn't even realize there could be trailers for books!
            >
            > Dianna

          • lynn.flewelling
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2008
              I've heard of them and mean to look into that. Thanks for reminding me!

              :-)

              --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Dianna C" <mymail@...> wrote:

              > Lynn,
              >
              > I've been reading C.L. Wilson's Tairen books, and I just checked out her
              > website, http://www.clwilson.com/ She has a trailer for 2 of the books in
              > the series (it's near the middle of the page).
              >
              > Have you ever thought of doing a trailer for you books?
              >
              > I didn't even realize there could be trailers for books!
              >
              > Dianna

            • Dianna C
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2008
                Actually I don't mean the teaser text at the end of a book, but a "movie"
                trailer, with video and actors playing the roles of the characters:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsXPbfXa40

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jw9Z0RTis

                I really hope we can see something like that with Alec and Seregil. Either
                for The White Road or for the existing books.

                Dianna C schrieb:
                > Lynn,
                >
                > I've been reading C.L. Wilson's Tairen books, and I just checked out her
                > website, http://www.clwilson.com/ She has a trailer for 2 of the books in
                > the series (it's near the middle of the page).
                >
                > Have you ever thought of doing a trailer for you books?
                >
                > I didn't even realize there could be trailers for books!
                >
                > Dianna
              • dougplusjenny
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                  I don't think a trailer would be a good idea. I though C.L. Wilson's
                  was a bit cheesy - the acting was so bad - that it would make me
                  embarrassed to read the books (although I will still read them!).

                  I also like to create my own images of the characters but the trailer
                  takes that from you. Reading a book as opposed to watching a film is
                  all about using your own imagination to fill in the detail - making it
                  much more special in my opinion.

                  I also never read the back cover of books as I don't want any of the
                  plot given away!

                  However I guess you could do a more abstract trailer... somehow!

                  Jenny

                  --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Dianna C" <mymail@...> wrote:

                  > Actually I don't mean the teaser text at the end of a book, but a
                  "movie"
                  > trailer, with video and actors playing the roles of the characters:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsXPbfXa40
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jw9Z0RTis
                  >
                  > I really hope we can see something like that with Alec and Seregil.
                  Either
                  > for The White Road or for the existing books.
                  >
                  > Dianna

                • noir.crosszeria
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                    I kind of agree. I have my own images of the characters, and
                    sometimes casting ruins my image.

                    I wouldn't mind seeing a trailer filled with all of the lovely fan
                    art that has come through here (minus mine though; I don't feel they
                    are up to par with others). Personally, I'd like to see a trailer
                    filled with Mathia's art; that would be interesting. :)

                    --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "dougplusjenny"
                    <dougplusjenny@...> wrote:

                    > I don't think a trailer would be a good idea. I though C.L.
                    Wilson's
                    > was a bit cheesy - the acting was so bad - that it would make me
                    > embarrassed to read the books (although I will still read them!).
                    >
                    > I also like to create my own images of the characters but the
                    trailer
                    > takes that from you. Reading a book as opposed to watching a film is
                    > all about using your own imagination to fill in the detail - making
                    it
                    > much more special in my opinion.
                    >
                    > I also never read the back cover of books as I don't want any of the
                    > plot given away!
                    >
                    > However I guess you could do a more abstract trailer... somehow!
                    >
                    > Jenny
                    >

                    > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Dianna C" <mymail@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Actually I don't mean the teaser text at the end of a book, but a
                    > "movie"
                    > > trailer, with video and actors playing the roles of the
                    characters:
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsXPbfXa40
                    > >
                    > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jw9Z0RTis
                    > >
                    > > I really hope we can see something like that with Alec and
                    Seregil.
                    > Either
                    > > for The White Road or for the existing books.
                    > >
                    > > Dianna

                  • dougplusjenny
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                      That would be a great idea! I can't find your fan art (sorry) so
                      can't comment.

                      My only draw back would be that the producers would have to make sure
                      it didn't look like a kids book. I like my books to have adult themes
                      ;) and would be put off if the trailer looked like a kids comic (no
                      offense meant to anyone on here, only it's difficult to make
                      animations look grown up).

                      --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "noir.crosszeria"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                        Oh, that would be something I like, a trailer not with real people but
                        like a cartoon or animated like "Corpse Bride".
                        Animated fan art would be even better. :-)

                        Tawariel

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 9, 2008
                          The book trailers I've seen just use the cover art. Maybe a voice over, but no acting.

                          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "dougplusjenny" <dougplusjenny@...> wrote:

                          > I don't think a trailer would be a good idea. I though C.L. Wilson's
                          > was a bit cheesy - the acting was so bad - that it would make me
                          > embarrassed to read the books (although I will still read them!).
                          >
                          > I also like to create my own images of the characters but the trailer
                          > takes that from you. Reading a book as opposed to watching a film is
                          > all about using your own imagination to fill in the detail - making it
                          > much more special in my opinion.
                          >
                          > I also never read the back cover of books as I don't want any of the
                          > plot given away!
                          >
                          > However I guess you could do a more abstract trailer... somehow!
                          >
                          > Jenny
                          >

                          > --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "Dianna C" <mymail@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Actually I don't mean the teaser text at the end of a book, but a
                          > "movie"
                          > > trailer, with video and actors playing the roles of the characters:
                          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOsXPbfXa40
                          > >
                          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04jw9Z0RTis
                          > >
                          > > I really hope we can see something like that with Alec and Seregil.
                          > Either
                          > > for The White Road or for the existing books.
                          > >
                          > > Dianna

                        • dougplusjenny
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 10, 2008
                            I can't remember seeing any book adds on UK TV. Here you just have to
                            get on Richard and Judy - Day time chat show - they have a book club
                            and every book they review is a best seller but I don't think they
                            have ever done any fantasy.

                            --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, "lynn.flewelling"