Forum?

  • blaqueboi89
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 28, 2008
      Is it there a forum for Lynn or any of her books? I appreciate this
      group but I find the layout a complete mess.
    • Mckenna Kelly
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
        I don't think that there is, but I would be happy to make one. Assuming there was enough interest here and permission form Mrs. Lynn, of course! I do think it would makes posts easier to navigate. I know I my inbox gets flooded quite easily, and I miss things all the time.

        Is it there a forum for Lynn or any of her books? I appreciate this

        group but I find the layout a complete mess.

      • lynn.flewelling
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
          --- In Flewelling@yahoogroups.com, Mckenna Kelly <sabriel902@...> wrote:

          > I don't think that there is, but I would be happy to make one. Assuming there was
          enough interest here and permission form Mrs. Lynn, of course! I do think it would makes
          posts easier to navigate. I know I my inbox gets flooded quite easily, and I miss things all
          the time.

          I'm not sure what the difference is, but have no problem with it. People can talk in any
          fashion they like. I'm not the boss. :-)

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
            I rather got used to this newsgroup, even though in a way newsgroups
            are kind of old fashioned. But then again.. never change a running
            system?

            A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do
            the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least
            someone has to pay for the webspace.
            and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is
            worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*
          • duo-chan@gmx.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
              > A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do
              > the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least
              > someone has to pay for the webspace.
              > and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is
              > worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*

              I disagree with that, there are lots of free forums and you don't need to program or pay anything. It's not THAT difficult.
              Plus it is way easier to follow some threads, if i am not online for some days i barely have time to go through all the emails here.

              On the other hand, you are right about not chaning something that obivously goes well enough.
              I for one would prefer a forum because you see what everyone has to say in one post and don't have to go back through all the emails/posts in the group.

              maybe it'S worth a try?

              gwy

              --

              www.gwydi.de

              ~~~~~~ a gundam
              wing fanart page ~~~~~~~~~~

            • Adrianne Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                Just to put the other point of view: I don't use forums because I
                don't like the format, and if this group moved to that, I for one
                wouldn't be following. I'd be very disappointed not to know what's
                going on, and to lose out on Lynn's thoughts and insights, but I
                simply don't have time to go to yet another website each day to see
                what's been happening. If people wanted to have a forum *in
                conjunction" with this, fine; but I wouldn't like to see it become the
                replacement.

                Adrianne

                2008/6/29 <duo-chan@...>:
                >> A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do
                >> the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least
                >> someone has to pay for the webspace.
                >> and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is
                >> worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*
                >
                > I disagree with that, there are lots of free forums and you don't need to program or pay anything. It's not THAT difficult.
                > Plus it is way easier to follow some threads, if i am not online for some days i barely have time to go through all the emails here.
                >
                > On the other hand, you are right about not chaning something that obivously goes well enough.
                > I for one would prefer a forum because you see what everyone has to say in one post and don't have to go back through all the emails/posts in the group.
                >
                > maybe it'S worth a try?
                >
                > gwy
                >
                > --
                >

                > www.gwydi.de
                >
                > ~~~~~~ a gundam
                > wing fanart page ~~~~~~~~~~

              • Michelle
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                  I agree with duo-chan, that free forums could be easily made and kept up with. It'd also be easier to keep things in order, since the actual mailing list threading system is a bit weird. lol I've seen posts end up in completely separate threads. Another up side to a message board is the use of multiple forums. So there could be a forum for general conversations and introductions, one for spoilers and speculations (and thus easily keep spoilers from people's eyes), and so on.

                  But in response to what Adrianne said... I also agree with that. I hardly ever keep up with message boards. The only way I think I manage to keep up with this mailing list is for the simple fact that I will always check my e-mail. I just have everything get filtered into a special folder when it comes in from the group. It's hard to go check up on a message board and a truly thriving board would become even harder to catch up with than opening your inbox to find 30 - 50 messages waiting for you to read because some topic blew up.

                  Some people are better at keeping up with message boards than others, some people like the way the mailing list runs more than others. Different strokes for different folks, they say. If anything, I agree with the others that a message board in conjunction with the mailing list isn't a bad idea if enough people want it. Just saying that there are good and bad things about doing it.

                  Just my two cents.
                  Michelle

                  > A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do
                  > the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least
                  > someone has to pay for the webspace.
                  > and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is
                  > worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*

                  I disagree with that, there are lots of free forums and you don't need to program or pay anything. It's not THAT difficult.
                  Plus it is way easier to follow some threads, if i am not online for some days i barely have time to go through all the emails here.

                  On the other hand, you are right about not chaning something that obivously goes well enough.
                  I for one would prefer a forum because you see what everyone has to say in one post and don't have to go back through all the emails/posts in the group.

                  maybe it'S worth a try?

                  gwy

                  --

                  www.gwydi.de

                  ~~~~~~ a gundam
                  wing fanart page ~~~~~~~~~~

                  Ideal für Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx net/de/go/ smartsurfer

                • momo mcfarlane
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                    I'd be sad to see this become a forum because it would probably mean I would either not keep up with it at all or perhaps check in once a month. I like this method because the messages come into my mailbox and I only need to check one place to keep up with all the news and developments. Yes I know ocassionaly threads appear oddly and messages are out of order. Because I live in the UK I'm more or less used to the timeframe affecting the way messages appear. Its not that big a deal.

                    I thought the point about yahoo groups was that you could choose either to read it as e-mail or read it on their bulletin board? I've certainly used their groups tool to read mail when I've been away or wanted to check the archives.

                    I think we have the best of both worlds so would vote for no change.

                    Mo

                    To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.comFrom: hametsunosaturn@...: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:14:28 -0700Subject: Re: [Flewelling] Re: Forum?

                    I agree with duo-chan, that free forums could be easily made and kept up with. It'd also be easier to keep things in order, since the actual mailing list threading system is a bit weird. lol I've seen posts end up in completely separate threads. Another up side to a message board is the use of multiple forums. So there could be a forum for general conversations and introductions, one for spoilers and speculations (and thus easily keep spoilers from people's eyes), and so on. But in response to what Adrianne said... I also agree with that. I hardly ever keep up with message boards. The only way I think I manage to keep up with this mailing list is for the simple fact that I will always check my e-mail. I just have everything get filtered into a special folder when it comes in from the group. It's hard to go check up on a message board and a truly thriving board would become even harder to catch up with than opening your inbox to find 30 - 50 messages waiting for you to read because some topic blew up.Some people are better at keeping up with message boards than others, some people like the way the mailing list runs more than others. Different strokes for different folks, they say. If anything, I agree with the others that a message board in conjunction with the mailing list isn't a bad idea if enough people want it. Just saying that there are good and bad things about doing it.Just my two cents.Michelle----- Original Message ----From: "duo-chan@..." <duo-chan@...>To: Flewelling@yahoogroups.comSent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:34:44 AMSubject: Re: [Flewelling] Re: Forum?> A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do > the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least > someone has to pay for the webspace.> and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is > worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*I disagree with that, there are lots of free forums and you don't need to program or pay anything. It's not THAT difficult.Plus it is way easier to follow some threads, if i am not online for some days i barely have time to go through all the emails here.On the other hand, you are right about not chaning something that obivously goes well enough. I for one would prefer a forum because you see what everyone has to say in one post and don't have to go back through all the emails/posts in the group. maybe it'S worth a try?gwy-- www.gwydi.de ~~~~~~ a gundamwing fanart page ~~~~~~~~~~Der GMX SmartSurfer hilft bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten zu sparen! Ideal für Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx net/de/go/ smartsurfer[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Kris
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                      Although it isn't exactly a "forum", there is a LiveJournal community:
                      http://community.livejournal.com/nightrunner/
                      it is free to get a livejournal account, although you can pay for
                      extra features. Also, you may find this group easier to read if you
                      tried getting an (also free) gmail account for e-mail for such lists
                      like this--it maintains e-mails in the same subject together until
                      someone changes the subject line.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                        Oh, somehow I didn't know there was a com! *runs off to join it!*

                        Thanks for that!

                        On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM, blaqueboi89 <BlaqueBoi04@ hotmail.com> wrote:
                        > Is it there a forum for Lynn or any of her books? I appreciate this
                        > group but I find the layout a complete mess.

                      • Brenda
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                          I think it's worth a try. I'll still keep up with the emails with this group but I enjoy forums also. One of the forums I go on uses Forumer.com. They offer free forums (but with ads) and it's rather easy to set up. Might be worth checking out.

                          > A forum is way harder to maintain than a newsgroup, someone needs to do
                          > the programming, someone has to administrate it, and last but not least
                          > someone has to pay for the webspace.
                          > and right now i just don't see the need for a forum since, nothing is
                          > worse than a deserted forum with 10 new posts a week *shrug*

                          I disagree with that, there are lots of free forums and you don't need to program or pay anything. It's not THAT difficult.
                          Plus it is way easier to follow some threads, if i am not online for some days i barely have time to go through all the emails here.

                          On the other hand, you are right about not chaning something that obivously goes well enough.
                          I for one would prefer a forum because you see what everyone has to say in one post and don't have to go back through all the emails/posts in the group.

                          maybe it'S worth a try?

                          gwy

                          --

                          www.gwydi.de

                          ~~~~~~ a gundam
                          wing fanart page ~~~~~~~~~~

                        • Tina
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                            I think forums would be a nice way of chatting on a more personal level. I love to make new friends I share something in common with, but we don't REALLY get to chat personally in mailing lists like this. *would die of happiness if I found a girlfriend here* lol So a forum shouldn't take the place of the mailing list, but augment it, a cafe on the side.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                              I used to RP on a message board run by forumer. They're really clean and streamline and a good place for a free, quality message board.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 29, 2008
                                and they offer good support if you need it. You don't have to have a paid account to get support.

                                I get email updates from the forums I go on so that I can go directly to that thread without paging though the website to get there so I really only need to check my email.

                                The one thing I like about this group though is that we get to chat with Lynn. There aren't very many Author's who do that. I think it's awsome.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                  i know there are a lots of free forums you don't have to programm.

                                  but those are plastered with adds, and besides if you read this
                                  online as a bulletin board i don't really see a big difference. Well
                                  yeah you don't have such neat and orderly threads etc...

                                  But then again you have to realize that most of the talk here in off-
                                  topic. There's a new book out every what? 2 years? I mean no offense
                                  but Lynn is neither Dickens nor Mrs. Rowling.
                                  There is just not that much material to disucss, nor can people talk
                                  about the lock of Daniel Radcliffe's pubic hair they got on ebay.

                                  so i'd say yes to a well programmed forum, but no to an add plastered
                                  free forum. Right now you won't find this list on google, at least not
                                  that easily, and you won't find that free forum lacking its own domain
                                  either. 5 years ago google still worked differently, but it
                                  detoriated into an abhorrent money/add machine long ago. (funny how
                                  you can find this newsgroup over yahoo and lycos, but not over
                                  google) However a top google position would be needed to get a
                                  sufficent influx of fans to keep such
                                  a forum active.
                                • Boris Sbarufatti
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                    Personally I'm not that fon of forums, mainly because I find
                                    difficutl to keep
                                    up to date with them. I find easier to keep up with a mailing list,
                                    since I only have
                                    to filter the messages in their folder of pertinence, while a forum
                                    needs to check
                                    the site regularly and frequently.

                                    Still, if the forum will be only an addition and not a substitution
                                    of the
                                    mailing list, I have no problems.

                                    Boris
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                      I think there is some kind of misunderstanding forming.

                                      This group is *NOT* going to be replaced by a forum.
                                      I repeat, this group is staying right here and doing business as usual.

                                      Somebody asked if there existed a forum and somebody else suggested to
                                      make a forum, because they like forums better than yahoo groups. To each
                                      its own.

                                      But the decision to make a forum does NOT mean that this group will
                                      "move anywhere" or cease to exist. It will be just an ALTERNATIVE way to
                                      appreciate Mrs. Lynn's books.

                                      Just thought that should be clarified. :-)

                                      Tawariel

                                      Boris Sbarufatti schrieb:
                                      > Personally I'm not that fon of forums, mainly because I find
                                      > difficutl to keep
                                      > up to date with them. I find easier to keep up with a mailing list,
                                      > since I only have
                                      > to filter the messages in their folder of pertinence, while a forum
                                      > needs to check
                                      > the site regularly and frequently.
                                      >
                                      > Still, if the forum will be only an addition and not a substitution
                                      > of the
                                      > mailing list, I have no problems.
                                      >
                                      > Boris

                                    • Ulrike Erich
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                        I have do disagree. There are free forums without any adds. I'm a
                                        technical admin in one of those. You have to have only some webspace for
                                        it.

                                        And I like forums. I can re-read posts and haven't a full e-mail account.

                                        noerml schrieb:

                                        > i know there are a lots of free forums you don't have to programm.
                                        >
                                        > but those are plastered with adds, and besides if you read this
                                        > online as a bulletin board i don't really see a big difference. Well
                                        > yeah you don't have such neat and orderly threads etc...
                                        >
                                        > But then again you have to realize that most of the talk here in off-
                                        > topic. There's a new book out every what? 2 years? I mean no offense
                                        > but Lynn is neither Dickens nor Mrs. Rowling.
                                        > There is just not that much material to disucss, nor can people talk
                                        > about the lock of Daniel Radcliffe's pubic hair they got on ebay.
                                        >
                                        > so i'd say yes to a well programmed forum, but no to an add plastered
                                        > free forum. Right now you won't find this list on google, at least not
                                        > that easily, and you won't find that free forum lacking its own domain
                                        > either. 5 years ago google still worked differently, but it
                                        > detoriated into an abhorrent money/add machine long ago. (funny how
                                        > you can find this newsgroup over yahoo and lycos, but not over
                                        > google) However a top google position would be needed to get a
                                        > sufficent influx of fans to keep such
                                        > a forum active.

                                      • Brenda
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                          I agree. Forumer has a way to get rid of the ads if you want to get rid of them.

                                          as to the google problem...it's not hard to add the link to google. If you type in Trudi Canavan Trilogy in google the forum I go on comes up on the first page. So it is possible and I think a forum would expand Lynn's fan base. I'm sure there are people out there who don't like yahoo groups or live journel like most of us do.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                            Well of course the php software is for free...but webspace is
                                            something you have to pay for.. it comes very cheap, but if you get
                                            a certain number of hits you'll get a call from your provider
                                            to "kindly upgrade to another server-package since you are exceeding
                                            the current traffic limit" and then it gets costy. well not that costy
                                            but like $400 a year or so. Some sustain themselves with adds, others
                                            with fees
                                            and there are also forums that run via donations.

                                            and how can u have a full e-mail accuont? these days every low-
                                            average email provider should offer a 500MB+ mailbox for free.
                                            and any smart person would use something like "outlook" or other
                                            such e-mail software anyways. So i don't exactly see the point.
                                            besides you can also view the messages of this website online,
                                            search it to re-read old messages, etc

                                            besides i am a member of this newsgroup for what..10 years or so?
                                            well a long time anways.. and i like it :D

                                            noerml

                                            > I have do disagree. There are free forums without any adds. I'm a
                                            > technical admin in one of those. You have to have only some
                                            webspace for
                                            > it.
                                            >
                                            > And I like forums. I can re-read posts and haven't a full e-mail
                                            account.

                                            > noerml schrieb:
                                            > >
                                            > > i know there are a lots of free forums you don't have to programm.
                                            > >
                                            > > but those are plastered with adds, and besides if you read this
                                            > > online as a bulletin board i don't really see a big difference.
                                            Well
                                            > > yeah you don't have such neat and orderly threads etc...
                                            > >
                                            > > But then again you have to realize that most of the talk here in
                                            off-
                                            > > topic. There's a new book out every what? 2 years? I mean no
                                            offense
                                            > > but Lynn is neither Dickens nor Mrs. Rowling.
                                            > > There is just not that much material to disucss, nor can people
                                            talk
                                            > > about the lock of Daniel Radcliffe's pubic hair they got on ebay.
                                            > >
                                            > > so i'd say yes to a well programmed forum, but no to an add
                                            plastered
                                            > > free forum. Right now you won't find this list on google, at
                                            least not
                                            > > that easily, and you won't find that free forum lacking its own
                                            domain
                                            > > either. 5 years ago google still worked differently, but it
                                            > > detoriated into an abhorrent money/add machine long ago. (funny
                                            how
                                            > > you can find this newsgroup over yahoo and lycos, but not over
                                            > > google) However a top google position would be needed to get a
                                            > > sufficent influx of fans to keep such
                                            > > a forum active.

                                          • Elea
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                              It seems that maybe there is enough people that like the idea to
                                              give it go? It might not take off, but trying it out would end all
                                              the discussion. There are pros and cons to this as there are any
                                              idea. I don't know how many people will want to check groups,
                                              livejournals and forums so somewhere may lose out.

                                              I would hope that there would be some crossover with this group
                                              where official announcements etc are cross-posted. In reality, is
                                              there anyone who knows enough about starting a forum (on Forumer.com
                                              for instance) and is willing to moderate and maintain it in keeping
                                              with the standards of this group and the guidelines set out by Lynn,
                                              Helen and Tawariel?

                                              Either that or we takeover the Nightrunner LJ with nonsensical
                                              alphabet games and such. Technically discussions are kept in a
                                              thread format on LJ. The community just always seems a bit dead,
                                              which I would hate to see happen to another group/forum as well.
                                              Also, it needs a makeover :D
                                            • Mckenna Kelly
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                                I would be happy to give it a try. I've never run a forum before, but I'm willing to learn and I have several friends who do and can give me some advice. My only problem is that I am leaving the U.S in just over a month for a student exchange in Taiwan. I don't expect to be online as much then.

                                                I didn't know there was a livejournal group. I must have missed that memo somewhere in my black hole of an inbox. I like the idea of revitalizing that before making something new.
                                                : )

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                                  I know a bit about Forumer and at least sort of know how to set things up. I've helped start up a forum on it, anyway. I'd volunteer to be a mod or admin, but I'm no good for long-term things. lol I could offer to admin for the startup of it and hand it over to someone else later?

                                                  -Michelle

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 30, 2008
                                                    I don't mind helping out either. I'm an admin on the trudi canavan forum I go on.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 1 11:40 AM
                                                      Another anti-forum perspective:

                                                      I don't mind the layout of a forum, and kind of do prefer it, but the
                                                      reason I belong to several Yahoo groups and not to a bunch of forums is
                                                      that my company's Firewall of Doom severely limits what websites I can
                                                      go to. I can't look at LiveJournal, most other types of blogs, or
                                                      anything that my company network recognizes as a message board or
                                                      forum. And almost all of my surfing of communities like these happens
                                                      during the down time of my work day. I would miss a lot of the goings-
                                                      on of the forum. Of course, people who want to create a forum are
                                                      welcome to do so as they choose, but personally I fear that it would
                                                      effectively split this community into two separate groups. People who
                                                      prefer a forum format would probably not frequent this group any longer
                                                      after a while, while the people who don't like or can't use a forum
                                                      would stick around here.